Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes introduces 2013 G-Class, including 612-HP G65 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 05:42 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
adamls2 lives in Florida though, the land of illegally imported......cough....... smuggled in cars
Shhhhhhhhh don't tell!!!
Old 04-11-12, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
612 HP in a Wrangler-esque box on wheels? Really? I know MB doesn't build to meet "needs" but who is really going to use such a thing? On one hand it's designed for off road capability and yet is given the power of a race car.

I guess they're getting it out of their system before our oppressive government says no more! (With new CAFE standards).
the Sierra Club's been looking for another carbon footprint of this size to target hah
Old 04-11-12, 06:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

612 HP in a Wrangler-esque box on wheels? Really? I know MB doesn't build to meet "needs" but who is really going to use such a thing? On one hand it's designed for off road capability and yet is given the power of a race car.
They will sell a tons of G65 in Dubai.
Old 04-11-12, 06:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Shhhhhhhhh don't tell!!!
We all know already
Old 04-11-12, 11:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

612 HP in what looks like a tissue box. I think I will pass. My friends mother drives a G55 AMG and although its a Benz and it relatively quick, it as ugly as sin
Old 04-12-12, 09:58 AM
LexFather

I guess they're getting it out of their system before our oppressive government says no more! (With new CAFE standards).
Maybe you should stop ranting about the Government when its unfounded. There was just a thread saying we have 70 cars over 500hp. Ten years ago it was 2.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/03/n...-sale-tops-70/

I applaud the government for waking these auto companies the **** up in regards to MPG and they CONTINUE to produce amazing high hp cars. You can have both, its not one or the other.

Old 04-12-12, 02:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Maybe you should stop ranting about the Government when its unfounded. There was just a thread saying we have 70 cars over 500hp. Ten years ago it was 2.

I applaud the government for waking these auto companies the **** up in regards to MPG and they CONTINUE to produce amazing high hp cars. You can have both, its not one or the other.
I agree and like any other industry they will simply need to adapt and use the technology that they have had access to for quite a while Some countries will not even import American cars because our fuel economy is horrible
Old 04-12-12, 02:37 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

That's kinda my point. We have 70 beasts available because the new CAFE standards aren't in place. By 2025, companies must DOUBLE their corporate CAFE numbers. Just 12 years from now (a very quick two to three model cycles).

In 2025, we will FOR SURE not have nearly this amount of these types of vehicles available even for those who can afford them. There may be exceptions in place for some, or very high guzzler taxes or what have you, but freedom of choice will be limited.

I don't mind the government making modest CAFE increases but doubling them in a relatively short period of time is not acting in practical terms. These lawmakers aren't even engineers and have no idea what it takes. The new CAFE standard will be 55 MPG average (for a whole lineup!). The Prius doesn't even achieve this and it is the poster child for fuel efficiency. So we'll have automakers forced to move to electrics that nobody wants. Unless hydrogen or something else pans out.

And some are unaware that there are many coal plants shutting down by 2015 due to many new regulations. So less electricity on the grid while pushing for millions of electric cars. Seems like a great plan.

I'm all for great efficiency. I'm the one driving a 40 MPG sub-compact. But to reach a 55 MPG CAFE standard is going to cost consumers big. Look no further that $40K Volts, $40K Focus Electric's, or $35K Leafs. Compact cars that only the very affluent can afford. And for the latter two, an expensive car leaves you stranded in less than 100 miles. No thanks.
Old 04-12-12, 05:13 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

^ That does sound insane. I better save up my pennies so that in 2025 I can afford to pay $400 to fill up my 2013 G63 that will crush any Leaf-like vehicle that gets in my way.
Old 04-12-12, 05:24 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
adamls2 lives in Florida though, the land of illegally imported......cough....... smuggled in cars
Lol I'm in Miami
Old 04-12-12, 05:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy all the high horsepower cars we can before they are gone!
Old 04-12-12, 10:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I agree and like any other industry they will simply need to adapt and use the technology that they have had access to for quite a while Some countries will not even import American cars because our fuel economy is horrible
Exactly. These companies have proven they can build more power and efficient. They have proven they can build separately power and efficient. We have now seen them move to turbos/superchargers which IRONICALLY enthusiasts love b/c they can modify.

So shouldn't we be happy?

That's kinda my point. We have 70 beasts available because the new CAFE standards aren't in place. By 2025, companies must DOUBLE their corporate CAFE numbers. Just 12 years from now (a very quick two to three model cycles).

In 2025, we will FOR SURE not have nearly this amount of these types of vehicles available even for those who can afford them. There may be exceptions in place for some, or very high guzzler taxes or what have you, but freedom of choice will be limited.

I don't mind the government making modest CAFE increases but doubling them in a relatively short period of time is not acting in practical terms. These lawmakers aren't even engineers and have no idea what it takes. The new CAFE standard will be 55 MPG average (for a whole lineup!). The Prius doesn't even achieve this and it is the poster child for fuel efficiency. So we'll have automakers forced to move to electrics that nobody wants. Unless hydrogen or something else pans out.

And some are unaware that there are many coal plants shutting down by 2015 due to many new regulations. So less electricity on the grid while pushing for millions of electric cars. Seems like a great plan.

I'm all for great efficiency. I'm the one driving a 40 MPG sub-compact. But to reach a 55 MPG CAFE standard is going to cost consumers big. Look no further that $40K Volts, $40K Focus Electric's, or $35K Leafs. Compact cars that only the very affluent can afford. And for the latter two, an expensive car leaves you stranded in less than 100 miles. No thanks.
I said on this site years ago many time I never understood why the **** a Altima/Camry etc needs 240hp and to go 0-60 in 6 seconds. Its losing the plot. What is more impressive is if these cars got 30-40 MPG. Well we have seen their economy FINALLY get significant improvements due to the govt saying "hey wake the **** up in regards to MPG". It sure as hell ain't the only solution to our energy issues but 30-40 MPG cars instead of the 20 MPG ones we had is a great leap.

Prices have not skyrocketed either as some people stated, the cars are priced similar to less efficient past models.

If people are going to want to continue to drive at will like we do today they got two ****ing choices
1. Get wealthy so gas prices will be a joke
2. Get a more efficient car

B/C gas prices will never go back down to $1 a gallon.

Originally Posted by pvmike1
^ That does sound insane. I better save up my pennies so that in 2025 I can afford to pay $400 to fill up my 2013 G63 that will crush any Leaf-like vehicle that gets in my way.
In a way isn't it motivational? If people want to drive then get $$$$$$ to drive or change habits. We were born into thinking gas is ****ing damn near free or cheap. Elsewhere around the world not Venezuela or the Middle East gas is very expensive. We got spoiled and we are going to have to change.

I wish it was different. To think the youth won't enjoy cars like we did or will have to make tough choices in regards to driving. But you know we will find a way. In the 1970s the car was proclaimed dead and here we are in 2012 with the best cars ever and the most powerful cars ever along with the more efficient cars ever.

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Lol I'm in Miami
I'm down there often, we need to meet.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Buy all the high horsepower cars we can before they are gone!
Sky is falling!!

Old 04-13-12, 12:46 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I see a lot of hybrid, electric, and sports cars with forced induction in our future. Unlike what happened in the 70s with the gas crisis , I don't think manufacturers will kill all of the power. Most like we will be at smaller displacements but with similar power. And if that doesn't work we may finally see some cars that don't weigh in at close to two tons
Old 04-13-12, 06:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

This thing represents everything I can't stand. It's over the top, it's abnoxious, it's not functional, and it uses a lot of gas doing it. Buy a damn Ferrari if you have the money to show off.
Old 04-13-12, 08:23 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Any MPG estimates on this thing yet? I'm guessing around 12 MPG combined tops.

Quick Reply: Mercedes introduces 2013 G-Class, including 612-HP G65 AMG