Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which is why I stated its selling well initially.
You must have been getting them down in Atlanta before we did. In the D.C. area, they just started arriving last week. it's too early to tell how well they are going to sell here. But, in this area, almost everything sells sooner or later.

Its funny to see you people defending a vehicle made in Tennesse, FWD based, sloppier handling than the RX, 265hp which is maybe lowest in class, a CVT, uglier but "OMG it has 2 more useless seats in the back".
Well, to some extent, I'm actually defending both the RX and JX. Both, IMO, certainly give you what you pay for, and are very well-done vehicles.

For anyone trying to act like this is some amazing new entry needs their head examined.
I agree that the term "Amazing" may be overdoing it a little, but this vehicle is no slouch. I was quite impressed with its overall quality. I couldn't find any junk-materials on this vehicle, inside or out, though the cargo area could have been designed a little better. .
Old 04-19-12, 10:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I applaud them for their use of CVTs
Old 04-19-12, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I applaud them for their use of CVTs
I'm not that big a fan of CVT's. They are admittedly efficient, but many of them have either motorboating or rubber-banding sensations (sometimes both), have long-term durability questions (especially with high-torque-engines), and, in general, IMO, are not as pleasant to drive as a good smooth seamless torque-converter or dual-clutch automatic. The JX's CVT, like those in other Nissan products, admittedly, seems to be one of the better ones.
Old 04-21-12, 12:56 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet, the Infiniti Pathfinder is back
Old 04-21-12, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Sweet, the Infiniti Pathfinder is back
You can't compare it to the current Pathfinder, which is a body-on-frame design. You may, however, be able to compare it to the new, upcoming Pathfinder, which will (once again) be unibody. But I doubt if the new Pathfinder will have as many features or as classy an interior as the JX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-12 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-21-12, 10:47 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Looks pretty clean
Old 04-21-12, 11:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was reading about the features of this vehicle and I have to say I am impressed. This thing is packed with technology
Old 04-22-12, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I was reading about the features of this vehicle and I have to say I am impressed. This thing is packed with technology
Check out the build-quality. I think you will be even more impressed.
Old 04-25-12, 10:37 AM
flyjets
Driver School Candidate

Default Awesome family SUV!

We just picked one up for the wife. We have 3 children so the third row needed to be functional and the JX35 was the best choice, IMO; the third row will fit a 6 ft. person comfortably. As MM stated, the JX is roomy and luxurious with all of the high tech features you'll ever need. The Acura MDX, Audi Q7, Lexus GX, and the BMW X5 are nice vehicles, but the third rows in these vehicles are basically useless unless you are 4 ft. or less with very short legs. We've owned some of the full sized luxury SUVs (MB GL450 & 350, R-class, and the new Infiniti QX56). The wife didn't like going to the gas pump every 2 days or so and she wanted something a little more nimble (turn radius, easy to park, and handling wise). The GL350 got good gas mileage, being a diesel turbo, but we had some mechanical problems with most of our MB vehicles.
The JX35 is a nice alternative for a soccer mom who refuses to drive a minivan and luxury/tech conscious. We'll have to see if the JX really gets the MPG as advertised. It is the smoothest SUV we've driven to date and the power is ample for the wife. The CVT is very smooth but if this was my daily driver, I would not want a CVT in my car. Fortunately, the wife likes the smoothness of the CVT and doesn't really notice the awkward shifting of the CVT. Overall, we are very happy with the purchase and for a family of 5, the JX35 is a great choice, IMHO! I think we finally found a family vehicle that we are going to keep for more than 2 years.

Last edited by flyjets; 04-26-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flyjets
We just picked one up for the wife.
Congratulations. A fine purchase.......and welcome to CL as a first-time poster.

Although the break-in procedures for the latest new vehicles are less-critical now than in the past, it's still a good idea, for at least the first several hundered miles, to take it easy on the engine, keep RPMs below 4000-4500, don't drive long distances at the same engine RPM, don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency, and don't tow anything. And get an engine oil and filter-change within the first few thousand miles....for long engine-life, the first change is usually the most important one.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-12 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 12:02 PM
flyjets
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. A fine purchase.......and welcome to CL as a first-time poster.

Although the break-in procedures for the latest new vehicles are less-critical now than in the past, it's still a good idea, for at least the first several hundered miles, to take it easy on the engine, keep RPMs below 4000-4500, don't drive long distances at the same engine RPM, don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency, and don't tow anything. And get an engine oil and filter-change within the first few thousand miles....for long engine-life, the first change is usually the most important one.
Thanks for the advice! It's the wife's car and she babys the car.
Old 04-26-12, 02:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
The 4g is going back to unibody iirc. More crossover than off-road truck.
I heard the same thing about the upcoming Pathfinder. I'd wait for it and save $10,000.
Old 04-28-12, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw the JX in person today. A few things should be mentioned.

1. It is crystal clear, Lexus needs to either make the RX a seven seater or make the GX a cross-over.

2. Lexus RX and GX blow the Infiniti away in both design and materials.
Old 04-29-12, 11:48 AM
flyjets
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw the JX in person today. A few things should be mentioned.

1. It is crystal clear, Lexus needs to either make the RX a seven seater or make the GX a cross-over.

We also looked at the GX closely. The GX is basically a luxurious V8 version of the 4Runner. BTW, I love my '10 4Runner! Again, the GX's 3rd row seat is useless unless the middle row is pushed up forward, in which case the middle row passengers will suffer; the JX doesn't have this problem. For a V8, GX is not any faster than the JX (0-60mph) and being a body on frame platform, the GX is not as smooth nor does it handle as well as the JX, not to mention the poor gas mileage of the GX. You're right though.... the GX should be a crossover! The GX has really good off roadin' characteristics but who's gonna take a $60k+ vehicle off roadin'? Besides, the 4Runner is a better choice for that!
If Lexus was smart, they'd build a true 7 seat competitor for the JX. I'd go with a Lexus over Infiniti, given the choice. BTW, the materials and design of the JX are just as nice as the Lexus, IMHO; Infiniti did it right this time!
Old 04-29-12, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

1. It is crystal clear, Lexus needs to either make the RX a seven seater
The current RX probably isn't large enough for seven seats inside. The compromises involved on the present model would make it too cramped. Besides, with its current sales-numbers, it's hard to argue with its formula for success.

or make the GX a cross-over.
Maybe. Lexus probably doesn't need an off-road-capable SUV in that segment. But flyjets has a point.....buyers would be more likely to choose a 4Runner for that.

I defnitely don't agree. The JX has the best materials and interior fit/finish I've seen in an Infiniti SUV in years, and competes well with its Lexus competition. Of course, that's not taking anything away from the RX or GX either....and, if anything, the RX interior is more plush than the GX's. The GX's interior, IMO, though nice, is too much like a 4Runner's.......and, for on-road use, it doesn't equal the ride-comfort or powertrain-smoothness of the RX.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35