Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I almost went to the Darkside today

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12 | 10:35 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Talking I almost went to the Darkside today

So I went to a BMW dealership today and test drove a 2008 M3 sedan and all I can say is.......what a beast!!! I almost ended up trading my IS350 lol. Like I was already thinking about parting it out. I really want an M3, but I've thought about the costs in the long run since the car will be daily driven and I plan to keep it for a long time. I know there's a lot of M3 owners/previous owners here, and from what I've read no one wants to own a BMW. What are your thoughts on this? I really want this car. And it's the color I want both inside and out. Six speed manual is what really counts though. Can anyone here give me some insight on owning an M3? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-12 | 11:21 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

do it. you will never look back. E92/E90 is a very reliable car.
Old 04-16-12 | 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

if anything my 08 m3 was one of the more reliable cars i have owned, i think only my sc430 had less problem. we don't have the m3 anymore partially coz' it was our first bmw and yup the usual fear, but also that it's a convertible and it's not the best with kids (we have suv now). but to put things into perspective? i am thinking really hard about getting a used e60 m5

my m3 was 6 speed, and honestly that's the way i like it. dct is faster but i don't give a damn about being 0.2 sec faster. i like being involved in driving and the 6 speed is one hell of a setup. i loved every single bit about the car and i drove the heck out of it. the car is just amazing
Old 04-17-12 | 12:26 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

zomg, $0.68? I must have it.

But back on topic, from what i hear the e90/92 are fairly reliable especially compared to the older gens. And rominl, E60 m5 ftw! I love hearing that v10 scream.
Old 04-17-12 | 02:32 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

IS-F is the way to go IMHO. I really had my mind set on a e93 DCT because I liked the way it made me feel more than the IS-F. The problem with the bimmer IMO is that there will always be that reliability issue thought stuck in the back of your head and honestly I felt that I would grow bored of the car after awhile. I obviously went a different route but if I had to go choose either an IS-F or M3 right now it would be the IS-F. The TQ is way more satisfying and you won't have that reliability issue in the back of your head so most likely you will drive it in a more fun manner instead of worrying all the time. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I really love both cars.
Old 04-17-12 | 08:35 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by rkyat
zomg, $0.68? I must have it.

But back on topic, from what i hear the e90/92 are fairly reliable especially compared to the older gens. And rominl, E60 m5 ftw! I love hearing that v10 scream.
yup that's one thing i still prefer the e60 way over the f10. the v10 is just so... exotic feel (to me)
Old 04-17-12 | 08:52 AM
GS3Tek

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything my 08 m3 was one of the more reliable cars i have owned, i think only my sc430 had less problem. we don't have the m3 anymore partially coz' it was our first bmw and yup the usual fear, but also that it's a convertible and it's not the best with kids (we have suv now). but to put things into perspective? i am thinking really hard about getting a used e60 m5
Just jumping in for the peer pressure. The e60 is on my bucket list of cars too. I wouldn't mind renting it here and there ( don't care about owning it though)
Old 04-17-12 | 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I reviewed a new M3 coupe back in April of 2008. Its handling was phenominal (about with the Mitsubishi Evo). But, it had an excessively stiff ride like the Evo (especially by BMW standards), peaky HP/torque that required high engine RPMs for any real response, a confusing and difficult-to-decipher I-Drive system, and my particular test- car, even brand-new on the lot, had several significant assembly-quality goofs, one of which was continually shorting out the drivers' seat power-motor.

My recommendation, before you go for an M3, is to at least check out a 335i......long one of my favorite and most-respected BMWs. Its torque is much less-peaky than the M3's (it actually produces slightly maximum-torque). It has a far more civilized suspension/chassis, with handling almost as good as the M3's yet with a significantly better ride. Unlike the M, it offers a choice of RWD or AWD for bad weather. And, of course, it will probably cost less to buy and insure....especially if you have tickets or a less-than-perfect driving record. The 335i, though, does have one Achilles heel.....unreliable fuel-pumps. So, if you get one, either make sure that issue has been dealt with, or consider an extended-warranty.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-17-12 | 11:25 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the great info guys. Will be going to carmax today to get the IS appreciated. The dealership wasn't giving me a good deal so hopefully carmax would give me something better. I've yet to try the 335i but I've tested the 328 F30. It was ok, drives smooth but the power I wanted wasn't there. So I don't know bout the 335i. The dealership I went to didn't even have one. But they said after July, there should be plenty on their lot. Still, the M3 is nothing compared to the regular 3 series.
Old 04-17-12 | 11:43 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by metalgear
Thanks for all the great info guys. Will be going to carmax today to get the IS appreciated. The dealership wasn't giving me a good deal so hopefully carmax would give me something better. I've yet to try the 335i but I've tested the 328 F30. It was ok, drives smooth but the power I wanted wasn't there. So I don't know bout the 335i. The dealership I went to didn't even have one. But they said after July, there should be plenty on their lot. Still, the M3 is nothing compared to the regular 3 series.
M3

335i = google HPFP (recall, failure, issues...) , as mentioned by MMarshall.

or some search here or on bimmerforums
Old 04-17-12 | 01:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

335 is nice but though it's fast on straight line, it's nothing like m when it comes to driving dynamics. if you remotely push the car you will know. i like the 335, drove quite a few of them, but never felt very excited. my m3 was still exciting the day i returned it. the 335 doesn't handle bad but stock to stock it doesn't come close to m3. just the steering turning ratio alone the m3 is much better.

a lot of people look at the paper spec and say the m3 tq is low. granted you need higher rev (as in 1k rpm max) but punch the m3 in the right gear and it's still quite an experience. i have demo'd it to quite a few people and they all asked me "seriously they said the car ONLY has 270tq?"

especially if you are interested in the 6 speed, which means you avoid all the question marks on the dct, the engine itself is very good. unlike the 335, have fun with HPFP
Old 04-17-12 | 01:52 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

The M3 is very high on my wish list and that i recently drove a 2011 M3..OMG The car really rocks, I'm really really impressed. My GF has a 335i coupe and its really fun, fast and more civilized for daily driving but its WORLDS away from an M3. I've research the M3 heavily, it seems to be very reliable compared to past M3's but they're are known issues with the DCT Tranny, If I was to get one, I'll opt for a 6-sp manual since it'll be a track car/weekend toy..
Old 04-17-12 | 02:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

My old roomie had a 2008 M3, bought it brand new 2008 as well! It's a great car, last time I talked to him his only regret was that he wished it wasn't so fun to drive because of the cost of new tires and gas racking up
Old 04-17-12 | 02:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by metalgear
So I went to a BMW dealership today and test drove a 2008 M3 sedan and all I can say is.......what a beast!!! I almost ended up trading my IS350 lol. Like I was already thinking about parting it out. I really want an M3, but I've thought about the costs in the long run since the car will be daily driven and I plan to keep it for a long time. I know there's a lot of M3 owners/previous owners here, and from what I've read no one wants to own a BMW. What are your thoughts on this? I really want this car. And it's the color I want both inside and out. Six speed manual is what really counts though. Can anyone here give me some insight on owning an M3? Thanks in advance!
Dooo eeet! I'm glad I got my 335i.

Motor wise the M3's V8 is very reliable, more reliable than the N54 in the 335i. Was the M3 a CPO? Even if it isn't, you can get a warranty on it. My bank offers extended warranties that they can tie into the loan. Cost me about $2k for 48m/60k miles. Most of the other maintenance can be done yourself. Though the tires do cost a pretty penny, I'm running MPSs on mine, the rears in 19s are like $350/pop

As good as the IS is, it still has a lot to go to be on par with a E9X car, not to mention the F30.

FYI, if you're more interested in power, the 335i is a much better platform to start with. They've got single turbo kits up and going for them, the DI injection system can be pushed quite hard evidently. Shiv over at Vishnu tuning is making 630whp on pumpgas with meth injection with a mild turbo. Has a wicked powerband. Can make a 335i run with an M3 in a straight-line with just a few simple mods! Though the handling won't be on par unless you throw suspension at it

Last edited by Bean; 04-17-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-17-12 | 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by adamls2
IS-F is the way to go IMHO. I really had my mind set on a e93 DCT because I liked the way it made me feel more than the IS-F. The problem with the bimmer IMO is that there will always be that reliability issue thought stuck in the back of your head and honestly I felt that I would grow bored of the car after awhile. I obviously went a different route but if I had to go choose either an IS-F or M3 right now it would be the IS-F. The TQ is way more satisfying and you won't have that reliability issue in the back of your head so most likely you will drive it in a more fun manner instead of worrying all the time. Of course this is just my personal opinion. I really love both cars.
hahaha come on adam. you have a cl600 in your stable now. don't think that's much different from a bmw

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
My old roomie had a 2008 M3, bought it brand new 2008 as well! It's a great car, last time I talked to him his only regret was that he wished it wasn't so fun to drive because of the cost of new tires and gas racking up
yeah tell me about it... i was burning rubber so fast, pretty much every 12k miles and it was time for new tires. but at the same time, the factory michelin ps2 tires, they rock. so quiet and comfortable, but they grip so hard

Originally Posted by Bean
FYI, if you're more interested in power, the 335i is a much better platform to start with. They've got single turbo kits up and going for them, the DI injection system can be pushed quite hard evidently. Shiv over at Vishnu tuning is making 630whp on pumpgas with meth injection with a mild turbo. Has a wicked powerband. Can make a 335i run with an M3 in a straight-line with just a few simple mods! Though the handling won't be on par unless you throw suspension at it
actually i don't think you even need to do much to make the 335 faster in the straight. from factory some people can already do sub 5 in the 335. but like i always tell people. m3 is not about when you drag it, it's about when you turn it

Quick Reply: I almost went to the Darkside today