Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 01:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future

Shelby considering new halo sports car, Focus and Fusion models for the future

With the debut of its audacious 1000 horsepower GT500 at the New York Auto Show earlier this month, you might be wondering what direction Shelby will be headed in the future. After all, they can't just keep adding more horsepower to the Mustang. Can they?

Shelby president John Luft tells us that while they will continue producing post-title Mustang packages (they have a product plan for the pony car through 2020), the company is also considering branching out to other vehicles in the Ford lineup.

"Our plans include everything from the Mustang to looking at future development of the EcoBoost motor," he told us. "There could be a Focus or Fusion development in our future."

The plans don't stop there, though. Luft revealed to us that Shelby is considering producing another halo sports car like they did in the late 1990s with the Series 1.

"We always pose the 'what if'. If you remember when the Series 1 was developed, that was a purpose-built halo sports car for the Shelby brand. We always put those things in the plan because maybe down the road we would want to readdress a purpose-built Shelby sports car. It doesn't mean we'll build it, but we always want to challenge ourselves to put it on the table and talk about the practicality of it."

Keep reading for more insights into Shelby's plans for the future. Luft admits the conditions would have to be right for a new Shelby sports car to happen, but doesn't count out the possibility.

"All the variables have to come into play – what's the economy like and what the industry is doing – but I've learned to never-say-never. It could very well be that we could collaborate with Ford and create a new one-off Shelby halo vehicle. Who knows? But we always add things like that into our product plans because it causes us to pause and look at things beyond the Mustang in the Ford lineup."

Luft also says that if Ford produces another supercar like the GT, Shelby won't miss the opportunity to produce their own version.

"If I could wind the clock back we would have had a Shelby package for the Ford GT. It would have been natural. I've heard rumors – and you've probably heard them too – of Ford bringing back the GT. Trust me, we will not be asleep at the wheel this time. So if Ford actually comes to market with a new GT, then we'll be right there with them. We will not miss that window again."

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/s...fusion-models/
Old 04-17-12, 02:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I like