Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Toyota Camry SE V6

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 05:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Kind of harsh. Personally I think its the best Camry yet
X2, I agree.
Old 04-18-12, 06:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i knew you would respond since you seem to have "soft" spot for Toyota's...
The fr-s is awesome, i actually like the latest highlander design. New avalon seems good overall. Lexus is on a roll, so it's not all one way for me at all.

Problem with this review is that it is factually wrong - Camry SE V6 beats Sonata and anything out there in every objective test, be it acceleration, passing speed, braking, cornering, slalom, real life mpg etc, etc.
Not surprised, but i can't get past the looks. But that's just me.
Old 04-18-12, 08:40 PM
LexFather

The Camry...crapped on my internet heros, crapped on many times by the media but the Camry continues to crap on the competition

Hilarious I think Toyota knows its not a Lexus cause it ain't a Lexus. Its built to a price point, it offers 95% of the people out there everything they need. If anyone thinks b/c a car has more "style" but ultimately drives the same or worse, with worse or the same quality, is somehow the amazing win, well, they are all in the same class. Subway and Blimpie, same processed meat.

I do have to say compared to the competition the Camry is the least stylish but a Camry owner ain't fooling themselves and ain't trying to fool others into thinking they are driving something it is not. They are comfortable knowing its a rock solid Camry and that is it

Old 04-18-12, 10:00 PM
HalDayzed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Camry is a great car, and the current model still clicks a lot of boxes that potential buyers are looking for. However, there is strong competition from Hyundai, Kia, VW, among others, and it will only get stiffer with the introduction of the new Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala, Nissan Altima, etc.

If you believe that sales momentum will carry a car forward, just look at the sales numbers for the Honda Accord. Sales have plummted as people have come to realize that teh Accord is dated in many ways. What used to be a class leader is now salpped to mid-pack with a bunch of other cars.

The Nissan Altima is still selling very well, and likley will get a significant boost with the new model that is more revamped then the route that Toyota took with the Camry. The Ford Fusion has the potential to knock off the Camry if it drives as good as it looks.

Remember, the Sonata and Kia Optima design are several years into their product cycle. There are new versions in the pipelines. The new Altima will be greatly revamped, the Ford Fusion looks nothing like the crap-box that Ford is currently putting out. The competition is coming up quickly, and while the Camry won't have anything to worry about for the next 6 months or so, watch this space for the sales impact come 18-24 months from now.
Old 04-19-12, 12:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I agree with the article the new body is a letdown. It has the following flaws: Roofline appears taller and boxier, it lost it's aggressive and modern squinty headlights, added the harsh and strange lobster claw taillights, and leaves the tailpipe tips hanging in black space. At least from an SE standpoint, these are all non-sporty features that the last Camry did not possess. The graphite 18" rim option also looks silly and like they were styled by a teen.
I'm hoping the facelift addresses most of these things.
Old 04-19-12, 01:56 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I remember those comparo's with Sonata, Camry, and Passat. Camry spanked each competitor in engine 4 cylinder, turbo4/V6, and hybrid/diesel guise for performance, fuel economy etc.., while Sonata consistently placed last. yet Passat kept "winning" based on drive dynamic
It's German so it must be better...
Old 04-19-12, 05:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The fr-s is awesome, i actually like the latest highlander design. New avalon seems good overall. Lexus is on a roll, so it's not all one way for me at all.

Not surprised, but i can't get past the looks. But that's just me.
it is hard not to like FR-S... I hope that designer oversees all of the future Toyota designs.
Old 04-19-12, 06:05 AM
M K S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
X2, I agree.
x3. Much better styling inside and out compared to the previous models - IMO.
Old 04-19-12, 06:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I am a bit let down by the current generation Camry, and pretty clearly see it's flaws, I think this review was rather over the top.

Go sit inside of a Sonata and tell me if it's any better. Hyundai builds interiors with squishy plastic everywhere and overwrought lines throughout. Camry uses harder plastics and more simple lines. Take your pick.