Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is why I never buy used cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-12, 12:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't get me wrong. I know today's systems aren't necessarily foolproof and that some guys can beat them. It's just a lot harder than back in the days of the drill and a couple of wrenches, that's all. CarFax and computerized service-records, as others have noted, also help.
No doubt about it,Mike.
Old 04-21-12, 12:51 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modern cars have more then one odometer, I've seen cars with the mileage rolled back and then suddenly when the car rolls past a specific mileage point, and runs all the computer checks, the dash odometer mileage changed back.

This thread is mostly hearsay, I heard my friend who knows a guy who

Several cars makes, starting early 2000 have hidden engine/running timers on them my buddy thought he was being smart, unplugged the odometer in his 97 Grand Cherokee, drove around for a year, plugged it back in and realized it still kept count

Most people who run a successful businesses are not risking their incomes for a bunch of dumb asses who leased cars and put to many miles on them.
Old 04-21-12, 08:01 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Modern cars have more then one odometer, I've seen cars with the mileage rolled back and then suddenly when the car rolls past a specific mileage point, and runs all the computer checks, the dash odometer mileage changed back.

This thread is mostly hearsay, I heard my friend who knows a guy who

Several cars makes, starting early 2000 have hidden engine/running timers on them my buddy thought he was being smart, unplugged the odometer in his 97 Grand Cherokee, drove around for a year, plugged it back in and realized it still kept count

Most people who run a successful businesses are not risking their incomes for a bunch of dumb asses who leased cars and put to many miles on them.
Regardless of multiple odometer, people have found loopholes around that. Most of the people in the video have very recent cars with electronic odometer. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus. That means that there are ways to rollback the odo on newer cars without any problems.
Old 04-21-12, 09:12 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Regardless of multiple odometer, people have found loopholes around that. Most of the people in the video have very recent cars with electronic odometer. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Lexus. That means that there are ways to rollback the odo on newer cars without any problems.
If it is possible to disable these cars security systems then it is also possible to roll back the odometer. Computers were made to be programmed and that leaves them opened to be hacked or reprogrammed.
Old 04-21-12, 10:44 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Wow that sucks
Old 04-22-12, 01:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

at the end of the day, do your research and buy from a reputable dealer who is trying to earn your repeat business, many people have bought used/pre owned with no issues.

When many signs point to something not right walk away, and if its to good to be true walk, I have pulled carfaxes on cars with mileage that did not match the last time they where serviced, having service records make the car sell
Old 04-22-12, 04:22 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

I don't know how you guys say check the carfax and what not but I bought a vehicule from a dealership here in Quebec. After checking the carproof details to resell it years later (this year in fact) they showed that there was an accident before I bought the car with much more kilometers than when I bought it. After spending thousands in lawers, all it did for me is that it does not show on the car proof anymore. Let's just say i'm pissed and wondering what else might be hiding in that carproof and how reliable they really are.