Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Listen to BMW's new M5 with its Active Sound system enabled vs. disabled

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 11:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its impure , contrived, and frankly shameful . Like I said, there is no reason to be "stuffing the bra" with this master piece. I have heard journalists call it the best car in the world . Its does so much so well, looks amazing, is powered by an amazing and extremely advanced motor, and is literally packed with technology. I just dont know why they even considered, let alone green lighted the addition of such a system on their highest performance sedan.
Old 04-26-12, 01:14 AM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The generated engine sound in this video is awful. If you listen closely, it is terribly obvious that it is synthetically generated. They apparently sampled the sound at certain rpms and stretch/conract the waveform in order to follow the actual engine rpm. Just like in a computer game.

It is an absolute fake in my audiophile/amateur sound engineer ears.
Old 04-26-12, 05:18 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i think they're just ahead of the curve, as they have been on many things. like idrive -

i really do believe bmw is ahead of the curve, because modern engines are changing a lot, to meet fuel economy and other needs/wants, and they can't always sound appealing, so augmenting it makes sense.
BMW did not create the active sound system as an innovative technology.
I read the engineer's report, they did it because they made the car so quiet they thought owners would be disappointed the growl was missing. Instead of re-engineering to correct it, delaying it coming to the market, this was a quick fix. There were video's on one of the bmw forums with excerpts from the engineers explaining this as well.

In other words, they made the car too Lexus-like and realized that might put off potential buyers who wanted something more like the raw E60 M5. Their solution, fake engine sound.

In my opinion, BMW has lost its way. The bean counters must be running the company.
Old 04-26-12, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

making a car 'too lexus-like' and so quiet is bad? i think it's awesome they can make such performance in a quiet package!
Old 04-26-12, 05:48 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
making a car 'too lexus-like' and so quiet is bad? i think it's awesome they can make such performance in a quiet package!
I agree. I think it was dumb to add the faux sound.
Enthusiasts who wanted it to sound louder would find a way.
Or BMW could have made 2 versions. A regular M5 and a more raw version stripped of sound deadening materials with reduced weight.

Anything other than fake sound.
Old 04-26-12, 07:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could care less about this. It's a M5. period.