Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Listen to BMW's new M5 with its Active Sound system enabled vs. disabled

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 08:20 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think this is the future. say in 5 years the M5 is all electric. want it to sound like a golf cart? what if you can select presets for the sound? F1? Rolls Royce? Golf Cart? Flintstones car?
Lol better patent that idea.
Thats what happens when you over think things. Why not add 3d glasses and make the windshield have a 3d heads up display...
Old 04-25-12, 08:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup that's what i think as well. i don't think anything is "wrong" with the system off, why not just let it be
well if you really turn your speakers you will notice - lot thinner sound and turbo whistle... in recorded they made it growl and no turbo whistle.

i bet difference would be quite noticable in real car.

Now imagine if Lexus did this in IS-F.... Internet would be on FIRE.
Old 04-25-12, 08:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well if you really turn your speakers you will notice - lot thinner sound and turbo whistle... in recorded they made it growl and no turbo whistle.

i bet difference would be quite noticable in real car.

Now imagine if Lexus did this in IS-F.... Internet would be on FIRE.
lol i love seeing you and some others playing victims on lexus, it's entertaining. just like when bmw says next m3 having tri turbo and some lexus people start ditching them right the way. keep it up

i can care less if it becomes quieter in the m5 with the system disabled, it sounds just fine to me
Old 04-25-12, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Lol better patent that idea.
Thats what happens when you over think things. Why not add 3d glasses and make the windshield have a 3d heads up display...
hehe stop giving bmw ideas
Old 04-25-12, 09:01 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe stop giving bmw ideas
LOL right we might both need a good patent lawyer.
Old 04-25-12, 09:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

lol i love seeing you and some others playing victims on lexus, it's entertaining. just like when bmw says next m3 having tri turbo and some lexus people start ditching them right the way. keep it up

i can care less if it becomes quieter in the m5 with the system disabled, it sounds just fine to me
yes, everything BMW does is golden... All I am saying is that if Lexus had fake sound, people would light internet on fire. But BMW? Its fine than M5 has fake sounds... sounds actually dont matter anymore.... Or when 535i handles worse than Lexus... then handling feel doesnt matter anymore.

Few years back when you would ask enthusiasts what they love about their BMWs it would be honesty in car responses, lightness and purity overall vs fake Japanese imitators.

Now all that matters is that it has turbo and you can chip it. Weight, sounds, feel... who cares about those things!

:-)

And hey, few UK mags tested 2013 GS and wrote it feels sloppy on driving and it has poor material selection. Lol. How can Lexus fans not feel victimized sometimes?
Old 04-25-12, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
LOL right we might both need a good patent lawyer.
yeah. the 3d glasses is a good start.

yes, everything BMW does is golden... All I am saying is that if Lexus had fake sound, people would light internet on fire. But BMW? Its fine than M5 has fake sounds... sounds actually dont matter anymore.... Or when 535i handles worse than Lexus... then handling feel doesnt matter anymore.

Few years back when you would ask enthusiasts what they love about their BMWs it would be honesty in car responses, lightness and purity overall vs fake Japanese imitators.

Now all that matters is that it has turbo and you can chip it. Weight, sounds, feel... who cares about those things!

:-)

And hey, few UK mags tested 2013 GS and wrote it feels sloppy on driving and it has poor material selection. Lol. How can Lexus fans not feel victimized sometimes?
and all i say is it's all perspective, fans of each brand will also feel they are the victims out there. granted i do agree there are a lot of unfair comments out there, but at the same time i think it's relatively evenly spread.

if anything, i have hear tons of people complaining about the driving part of the new 5 series, not just here on clublexus, but even on bmw boards, from my friends who are into euros. they also dislike the tt setup on the m5 and there are a lot of voices out there about the stupid fake sound. of course there will be die hard fanboys saying it's all ok, but i don't see everyone say that. so that's exaggeration of some sort.

i have also read a lot of good things about the new gs, if anything i am surprised and encouraged to read quite a lot of positive notes on bmw boards, they comment on how well the new gs drives and it's a better driving machines. that's unheard of before. again, why don't you focus on that but instead the new fanboys saying "bmw is golden"?

on the other hand, how are cars from say hyundai and acura treated here? i can almost bet by flipping the coin, people from those brands can say everything on their car is treated as garbage by default.

i think that's just how nature is, people are defensive on things they like. but at the same time i personally hope / think we should just focus on the positives and highlights what's cool out there. when the ls400 came out, people all focused on how quiet and well built the car was, very few focus on the numb rides.

similarly for the 4gs, i focus on the wonderful interior and how dynamic the ride is. at the same time focus on the shortcomings on the car so that lexus can read and improve on them. that's the way to boost the car and the brand. not by doing otherwise while focusing on what other fanboys say.

just my 2 cents. i like lexus brands, but i also like others. i want lexus to succeed, but i am not going to be light on my criticisms.
Old 04-25-12, 01:01 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

That constant engine sound would drive me crazy. Good thing it is defeatable.
Old 04-25-12, 01:49 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

i think this is the future. say in 5 years the M5 is all electric. want it to sound like a golf cart? what if you can select presets for the sound? Flintstones car?
if I step on the gas, I better hear YABBA-DABBA-DOOOOO

and for the brakes, I better see skin scrapping and smoke coming from below
Old 04-25-12, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
That constant engine sound would drive me crazy. Good thing it is defeatable.
i don't think it's constant, it goes with the rpm
Old 04-25-12, 03:44 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting but who really cares, has this at all effected sales, the people who care are gonna be the 3, 4 or 5th owners
Old 04-25-12, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

All I am saying is that if Lexus had fake sound, people would light internet on fire.
implementation matters. honda (CL's favorite whipping brand ) has had noise cancellation tech to go with their cylinder deactivation for years. it's not noise you year, but noise emitted, yes, from the stereo, to cancel noise you might hear from the engine. makes a lot of sense to me.

i mean, if noise tech could cancel road noise, and allow the car to have 50lbs less noise insulating materials in it, that would be good, right?

But BMW? Its fine than M5 has fake sounds... sounds actually dont matter anymore...
i think they're just ahead of the curve, as they have been on many things. like idrive - yeah it sucked in early versions, but gee, lexus now has it after people ranted for years how touch screens were the only way to go. funny that.

and people on here ranted how bmw/mb interiors had the huge recessed screen enclosure extending off the main instrument area. oh wait, lexus is now following suit with the 4GS and no doubt the next LS will ditch the lower screen they have today.

not saying lexus doesn't innovate too, clearly it does (best hybrid system in the world, LF-A is completely awesome, many other firsts), but to your point, if lexus used sound generation in an intelligent way, it would not necessarily set the internet on fire.

i really do believe bmw is ahead of the curve, because modern engines are changing a lot, to meet fuel economy and other needs/wants, and they can't always sound appealing, so augmenting it makes sense.

Or when 535i handles worse than Lexus... then handling feel doesnt matter anymore.
i didn't see anyone say handling doesn't matter... didn't gs just win the big motortrend comparo, primarily because of handling?

never heard of such a thing. bmw's have never been particularly light. and they've been ALL OVER THE MAP in terms of drivetrains so no purity there.

enjoy your conspiracy theory.

How can Lexus fans not feel victimized sometimes?
die hard fans of all brands feel victimized. in fact, i'd go as far as to say some (not all) die hard bmw fans are the most thin-skinned of all.
Old 04-25-12, 08:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

i think they're just ahead of the curve, as they have been on many things. like idrive - yeah it sucked in early versions, but gee, lexus now has it after people ranted for years how touch screens were the only way to go. funny that.

and people on here ranted how bmw/mb interiors had the huge recessed screen enclosure extending off the main instrument area. oh wait, lexus is now following suit with the 4GS and no doubt the next LS will ditch the lower screen they have today.
I'll agree that the Germans pioneered say recessed screens/dash's, but Lexus and the Japanese seem to fine tune it. Point in case the RX/GS cabins for example are made to fit the driver like a glove. Every button is easy to access/use and ALL movements are natural. The drivers arm rests nicely on the remote touch with good ergonomics, the navi is recessed for less exposure to sunlight. The seating position is commanding for good outward visibility, every control is intuitive etc..

die hard fans of all brands feel victimized. in fact, i'd go as far as to say some (not all) die hard bmw fans are the most thin-skinned of all.
yup, a bunch of whiners in my book hah. Feel they've been given God's gift aka the ultimate driving machine - hence the douchiness that follows (like you say not all)
Old 04-25-12, 08:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so Bitkahuna, M5, an epitome of sports sedan, innovates with fake engine sounds? Awesome.
Old 04-25-12, 09:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

so Bitkahuna, M5, an epitome of sports sedan, innovates with fake engine sounds? Awesome.
times change. i think the m5 has had inline 6, v8, v10, fi, no fi, etc. now it has augmented sound. so be it.

Quick Reply: Listen to BMW's new M5 with its Active Sound system enabled vs. disabled