Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Next Mazda6 to go four-cylinder only

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-12, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Report: Next Mazda6 to go four-cylinder only

Next Mazda6 to go four-cylinder only

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mazda...photo-4643839/

Beneath the gorgeous and impossibly long looking hood of the Mazda Takeri Concept lies plenty of real estate. By our estimation there's room for any number of powerplants, from a high-revving rotary to a twin-turbo V6. However, when Mazda launches the new 2014 Mazda6, which will ape the looks of the Takeri show car, it will only contain a measly little four-cylinder, according to Autoweek.

So that's being a bit harsh, as despite the reported demise of a V6 engine option for the Mazda6, at least it will be getting a Skyactiv four-banger, according to the report. Skyactiv is, of course, Mazdaspeak for its suite of technologies that includes its next-generation powertrain with direct injection and a fancy new automatic transmission design, a combination we liked a great deal when we sampled it in the CX-5 crossover.

With Hyundai, Kia, and Chevrolet having dumped their V6's in favor of an all-four-cylinder lineup for their midsize sedans, we're not surprised to see Mazda follow course. We do, however, wonder how the beleaguered Japanese brand intends to compete when it comes to performance.

With 155 horsepower and 150 lb-ft of torque, the 2.0-liter Skyactiv four in Mazda's new crossover isn't particularly powerful, so we hope we might see a slightly larger displacement version with a few more ponies for the bigger sedan. Or one with forced induction. Or how about a diesel engine option? Mazda has promised a diesel for North America, though it hasn't specified which vehicle it will arrive in. The automaker has committed to deploying a stellar 2.2-liter turbodiesel four making 173 horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque for the CX-5, at least in Europe. Now that might be just the ticket to make a top-trim Mazda6 get up and go.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/25/n...cylinder-only/
Old 04-25-12, 04:21 PM
Hoovey689

Kinda sad to hear. There better be a turbo4 labeled Mazdaspeed6 in the works hah
Old 04-25-12, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689

Quick someone get this beauty a V8!

Old 04-25-12, 06:26 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

as a former mazda6 owner, I am gonna miss that v6 powerplant. the duratec was a solid engine. I wish I could say the same for the rest of the car.
Old 04-25-12, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

so we hope we might see a slightly larger displacement version with a few more ponies for the bigger sedan. Or one with forced induction.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There better be a turbo4 labeled Mazdaspeed6 in the works
Relax. I'd bet rent money that the top-line version will get a turbo four, just like with the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata. Chevy's new upcoming Malibu, another Mazda6 competitor, is reportedly taking the same route.

Or how about a diesel engine option?
Yep, bring it on. It is ludicrous, IMO, that, outside of couple of German-branded vehicles, we can't get more good modern diesels here in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 07:43 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Relax. I'd bet rent money that the top-line version will get a turbo four, just like with the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata. Chevy's new upcoming Malibu, another Mazda6 competitor, is reportedly taking the same route.

Yep, bring it on. It is ludicrous, IMO, that, outside of couple of German-branded vehicles, we can't get more good modern diesels here in the U.S.
Don't forget the 2013 Ford Fusion. Frankly I'm not surprised, by the news. I just prefer the smoothness of six cylinders.

One of my friends has a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 turbo4. Its actually pretty fun to drive, with its slick 6-speed manual and AWD. But considering this new generation doesn't have AWD, I don't think this upcoming one will either. A notable omission IMO
Old 04-25-12, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Don't forget the 2013 Ford Fusion. Frankly I'm not surprised, by the news. I just prefer the smoothness of six cylinders.
In general, I do too. But we're facing the reality of the upcoming Federal CAFE regs. More and more vehicles are going to get smaller engines with turbos. Even the new upcoming BMW 3-series (a classic drivers' car), at least in non-M versions, seems to be going that route now. The smooth in-line sixes, in that line, will soon be a thing of the past.

One of my friends has a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 turbo4. Its actually pretty fun to drive, with its slick 6-speed manual and AWD. But considering this new generation doesn't have AWD, I don't think this upcoming one will either. A notable omission IMO
Some of the Mazda AWD buyers, of course, will be going to the all-new CX-5, though, granted, that vehicle is not a mid-sized sedan like the Mazda6. And, if my memory is correct, AWD was only available on the MazdaSpeed6...not in the other versions.
Old 04-25-12, 08:25 PM
Hoovey689

In general, I do too. But we're facing the reality of the upcoming Federal CAFE regs. More and more vehicles are going to get smaller engines with turbos. Even the new upcoming BMW 3-series (a classic drivers' car), at least in non-M versions, seems to be going that route now. The smooth in-line sixes, in that line, will soon be a thing of the past.

Some of the Mazda AWD buyers, of course, will be going to the all-new CX-5, though, granted, that vehicle is not a mid-sized sedan like the Mazda6. And, if my memory is correct, AWD was only available on the MazdaSpeed6...not in the other versions.
Many reviews of the new 328i has praised the new new engine, and many reviewers say they'd choose it over the 335i due to handling dynamics (lighter), fuel efficiency, price. The IS will at least get one more generation with a V6, and the F will stick with the NA V8 whereas the M3 will go tri-turbo V6.

CX-5 is a nice little SUV, my friend just picked one up. Nicely appointed and good dynamics for an SUV. Traded in from a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and prior to that a Mazda3. Guess he likes Mazda hah. Your right, AWD was only on the speed6.

Personally this is why the Ford Fusion is one of my favorites. It owns the segment in that regard. With an offering AWD, that Camry, Sonata, Optima, Malibu, Altima, Mazda6, and Passat do not offer it. Major props to Ford
Old 04-25-12, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Many reviews of the new 328i has praised the new new engine, and many reviewers say they'd choose it over the 335i due to handling dynamics (lighter), fuel efficiency, price.
Yes, I've read some of those reviews, too. For handling, it never hurts to lighten the front end. But, like most fours, you aren't going to get the I-6's smoothness.

CX-5 is a nice little SUV, my friend just picked one up. Nicely appointed and good dynamics for an SUV. Traded in from a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and prior to that a Mazda3. Guess he likes Mazda hah.
I drove Mazdas myself in the 80s and early 90s (bought three brand-new ones). Great drivers' cars.....they weren't called Poor-Man's-BMWs for nothing. I left mainly because I didn't care for what Ford ownership was doing to the company.

Your right, AWD was only on the speed6.
The AWD MazdaSpeed6, like the Subaru Legacy GT, was essentially marketed as a more-mature, adult WRX/STi/Evo.

Personally this is why the Ford Fusion is one of my favorites. It owns the segment in that regard. With an offering AWD, that Camry, Sonata, Optima, Malibu, Altima, Mazda6, and Passat do not offer it. Major props to Ford
I respect your opinion (and the Fusion has offered AWD for several years). But I think a better argument can be made that the Subaru Legacy owns the low-priced, md-size sedan AWD market that Fusion competes in (substantially more FWD Fusions are sold than AWD). Subaru and Audi wrote the book on car-based AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 09:02 PM
Hoovey689

I respect your opinion (and the Fusion has offered AWD for several years). But I think a better argument can be made that the Subaru Legacy owns the low-priced, md-size sedan AWD market that Fusion competes in (substantially more FWD Fusions are sold than AWD). Subaru and Audi wrote the book on car-based AWD.
Silly me I forgot the Legacy. Probably in part because I never see it here in Cali nor in car comparisons. I'm sure the Northeast is a different story
Old 04-26-12, 12:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

This is sadly the future for all of us as more car lines and companies have to adhere to very strict fuel economy regulations. 6 cylinders no longer offered in models, 8 cylinders no longer offered in models, v10 and V12 no longer offered. The consumer will lose the choice of which engine they want more and more and will be forced to only be able to choice what meets these strict standards which means less power, smaller sized engines, relying on turbo's, and pricey hybrids all tuned to game the EPA tests for those high ratings that most owners don't even see.
Old 04-26-12, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
This is sadly the future for all of us as more car lines and companies have to adhere to very strict fuel economy regulations. 6 cylinders no longer offered in models, 8 cylinders no longer offered in models, v10 and V12 no longer offered. The consumer will lose the choice of which engine they want more and more and will be forced to only be able to choice what meets these strict standards which means less power, smaller sized engines, relying on turbo's, and pricey hybrids all tuned to game the EPA tests for those high ratings that most owners don't even see.
Not just yet!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ound-feet.html
Old 04-26-12, 02:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

This is no surprise, given the earlier report that Mazda has no plans to develop a SkyActiv V6 engine (Autoblog article).

I would be curious to find out if Mazda intends to add forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger) to the SkyActiv engine. With the compression ratio of the SkyActiv-G (gasoline) engine already very high, at 14.0:1 (“normal” engines run about 10:1 or lower), forced induction would just increase the pressure in the cylinder even more. How high (how much boost) can they go without causing problems like engine knock or undue stress?
Old 04-26-12, 02:33 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guy A "man that's one bad a$$ looking Mazda!"

Guy B " thanks just got it today!"

Guy A "so what's it got in it?"

Guy B "oh um...4(...cough)6 cylinder"

Guy A "say wha??"

Guy B "um...4ishsix Cylinder..."

Guy A "okay...how much horsepower??"

Guy B takes phone out of pocket "I gotta take this call man sorry!"
Old 04-26-12, 03:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
This is no surprise, given the earlier report that Mazda has no plans to develop a SkyActiv V6 engine (Autoblog article).

I would be curious to find out if Mazda intends to add forced induction (supercharger or turbocharger) to the SkyActiv engine. With the compression ratio of the SkyActiv-G (gasoline) engine already very high, at 14.0:1 (“normal” engines run about 10:1 or lower), forced induction would just increase the pressure in the cylinder even more. How high (how much boost) can they go without causing problems like engine knock or undue stress?
why wouldnt they be able to lower the compression for their production engine? thats not a problem at all.

Quick Reply: Report: Next Mazda6 to go four-cylinder only