Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda CR-V edges Mazda CX-5 in Consumer Reports small CUV test

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Honda CR-V edges Mazda CX-5 in Consumer Reports small CUV test

Honda CR-V edges Mazda CX-5 in Consumer Reports small CUV test

Gallery:
CR-V - http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4617675/

CX-5 - http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4659340/

Whenever Consumer Reports weighs in on the automotive landscape, we're always eager to hear what its editors have to say. We value their opinions, not because we necessarily agree or disagree, but because CR plays it straight. And sometimes, amidst all the folderol spewed about new models in the pages of car magazines and on the myriad websites devoted to automotive minutiae, it helps to read someone write things like this:

Overall, CR's testers found the CR-V is functional and easy to live with, if not particularly exciting to drive. The CX-5 Touring... is more athletic and engaging to drive, thanks to its agile handling, taut cornering, and responsive steering.

Now this may strike most of you as nothing more than CR displaying its usually astute command of the obvious. But it reads that way for a reason – call it art imitating life. So when the mainstreamers read that the CR-V narrowly beat out the CX-5, it will not just reflect the reality of a market in which the Mazda brand lags well behind Honda, but confirm their worldview. The Honda CR-V will continue to appear on the magazine's "Recommended" list, while the jury will await reliability reports before nominating the Mazda CX-5.

The sun will rise in the east and set in the west.

BOTH VIDEO REVIEWS AND SOURCE:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/26/h...ports-small-c/
Old 04-26-12, 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Friend of mine just traded in his 2010 Mazdaspeed3 for a 2013 CX-5. Nice little SUV. Between the CX and CR-V I too would probably choose the Mazda
Old 04-26-12, 05:17 PM
LexFather

Since I have working eyes, the CX-5 wins the comparo on looks alone. So I assume the CX-5 is going to sweep mag comparos since it seems to be that sporty. It gets 35 MPG too right

That said no denying the CR-V becoming the sales workhorse it is and its a perfect jack of all trades.

Old 04-26-12, 05:20 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

CX-5's have notoriously terrible tire wear... they get most of their "sporty" handling from a very aggressive alignment that doesn't allow camber / caster adjustments...

just a heads up... I wouldn't buy one based on this alone...
Old 04-26-12, 06:30 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought new 2012 Honda CRV for my wife a few weeks ago. We did not cross shop the CX5 since the CRV has an excellent track record and my wife loves it. I have to say its good car and does everything well. Overall we are extremely happy with our new CRV. It is much improved over the previous generation too. Seems like its selling considerably well since I see more and more new CRV's on the road.
Old 04-26-12, 06:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
CX-5's have notoriously terrible tire wear... they get most of their "sporty" handling from a very aggressive alignment that doesn't allow camber / caster adjustments...

just a heads up... I wouldn't buy one based on this alone...
Are you talking about CX-7s? I don't know how the CX-5 could have notoriously terrible tire wear when the hit the market like a month ago....
Old 04-26-12, 06:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

as an aside, is anyone else blown away by the content and coverage on autoblog?

i guess they also have an arrangement they can include CR's videos/content, plus autoblog has it's own video shows... have to dig into it some more....

as for CR's comparo - it comes as no surprise they pick the safe and obvious choice. because that's what they do - pick safe and obvious choices
Old 04-26-12, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Since I have working eyes, the CX-5 wins the comparo on looks alone.
if you watch the video though, the car looks pretty awkward (and you know i like mazdas).

and the video also says the car is choppy on the highway, noisy, and the engine is lethargic. no thanks.

Old 04-26-12, 07:20 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen several brand new CX-5s in person, and what a big disappointment they are . I was very excited for the new CX-5, because in pictures it looks pretty good. Unfortunately in person, it looks very goofy. The front end in person looks like Mickey Mouse. It's not goofy like Mazda's "smiley face" front ends; it's just goofy in terms of awkward proportions, and a high belt-line. This is something not readily apparent in pics.

Also from the reports of it having a choppy, noise ride and a not-so-powerful engine ... yup, definitely sounds like a Mazda. Don't get me wrong, Mazda does sporty very well, but they do poorly in so many other areas.
Old 04-27-12, 12:53 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting to see so many negative feedbacks from members and medias for the CX-5.... given my experience with my CX-9 (won all comparison tests for 5 straight years) it's hard to image Mazda makes a SUV it's not up to par to the "lovely" CRV...
Old 04-27-12, 05:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's interesting that CR has slammed Honda for most, if not all, of its redesigned cars lately--but, with the CR-V, where they only made minor mechanical changes, it retains the top spot....
Old 04-27-12, 07:16 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's interesting that CR has slammed Honda for most, if not all, of its redesigned cars lately--but, with the CR-V, where they only made minor mechanical changes, it retains the top spot....
Well, the most slammed model is the Civic, and that's b/c that segment is the most competitive. You see all competitors pulling out all the guns.

The CUV segment isn't. The CRV is simply DOMINATING that segment right now; it's very hard to critically slam a car that is blowing away the competition sales-wise.
Old 04-27-12, 08:38 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

March 2012 Honda CRV sales:

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/ho...res-2012.4145/

"The all-new 2012 Honda CR-V continued its record-setting sales pace, up 35.3 percent from last year and posting an all-time monthly sales record of 30,868 sales compared to last year's total of 21,998 units.

“We knew we had a home run with the all-new CR-V," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president of sales. "And to launch it right as our supply chain is refilling means that we are competing in earnest in a growing market. The CR-V has historically been a sales leader in its segment, and the success of this all-new vehicle tells us that we've again hit a real sweet spot for consumers.”
New CRV is clearly a hot seller. Doubt the CX5 can touch it.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 04-27-12 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-27-12, 09:15 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by memasterac
Interesting to see so many negative feedbacks from members and medias for the CX-5.... given my experience with my CX-9 (won all comparison tests for 5 straight years) it's hard to image Mazda makes a SUV it's not up to par to the "lovely" CRV...
The CX-7 is actually the unloved one in most reviews. The other two have been superb thus far. I'm still a fan of the CX-7 (almost got one before getting the IS), but the CX-5 is replacing it
Old 04-27-12, 09:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I think main problem with CX-5 in US, is lack of power... basically they are at level where competition was 6-7 years ago. And it is easily noticable too.

Quick Reply: Honda CR-V edges Mazda CX-5 in Consumer Reports small CUV test