Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IKEA founder worth $28B and his daily driver is a

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 07:53 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
But wouldn't you at least want a reliable, safe, and comfortable mode of transportation even if you're not into cars? Instead of one that could break down at any moment, likely has some non-working features, and is probably unpleasant to drive.

I'd have nothing to say if a billionaire drove a current Camry, but a 20 year old wagon? C'mon.
Not everyone cares about what they drive, but if you have that much money, you should be more concern about your safety.
Old 04-28-12, 09:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
But wouldn't you at least want a reliable, safe, and comfortable mode of transportation even if you're not into cars?
that's what volvo, especially a 240 wagon, is!

Instead of one that could break down at any moment, likely has some non-working features, and is probably unpleasant to drive.
i believe a volvo holds the world guinness record for miles driven.

Originally Posted by cino
if you have that much money, you should be more concern about your safety.
those cars are pretty safe! warren buffet has never driven fancy cars. i think these days he drives a fairly new cadillac, but no maybach or anything like that.
Old 04-28-12, 10:36 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those cars are pretty safe! warren buffet has never driven fancy cars. i think these days he drives a fairly new cadillac, but no maybach or anything like that.
No, it's not. The car is like a tank, that's why it's not safe. New car structures allow modern cars to absorb more impact even though it's lighter and less tanklike. Think about wearing hard shell/steel helmet and thin carbon kevlar helmet with shock absorption ESP and foam, which one do you think is more durable? I think steel helmet, but which one is safer?
Old 04-28-12, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if the car is safe enough for his needs, then what?

not to mention, having money means need to be extra careful about safety? (just hypothetically saying) bottom line, how much money he has i don't single bit of relationship to what he drives.
Old 04-28-12, 10:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

No, it's not. The car is like a tank, that's why it's not safe. New car structures allow modern cars to absorb more impact even though it's lighter and less tanklike. Think about wearing hard shell/steel helmet and thin carbon kevlar helmet with shock absorption ESP and foam, which one do you think is more durable? I think steel helmet, but which one is safer?
Cars within the last 3 decades have crumple zones. Yes newer cars can be safer, but nothing is going to stop an 18 wheeler from running you over
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol thats worse than Zuckerburg and his TSX. Haha i bet hes still making payments on the volvo
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
if the car is safe enough for his needs, then what?

not to mention, having money means need to be extra careful about safety? (just hypothetically saying) bottom line, how much money he has i don't single bit of relationship to what he drives.
I'm not trying to prove that he's wrong driving that car. I'm just saying that he "should be" more concern about safety when he has that much money. "Should be" means, at the end of the day, he can do whatever he wants.

And What I replied earlier is just to give the fact that newer car is safer, it has nothing to do with what he drives.

I don't know if your post is directed at me or not. If not, then think it as clarification to what I posted.
Old 04-28-12, 10:53 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Cars within the last 3 decades have crumple zones. Yes newer cars can be safer, but nothing is going to stop an 18 wheeler from running you over
True. I'm not saying it's totally safe or invincible on the road. I'm just saying it's safer than cars from the past. And it's less than 10% accident involved 18 wheeler.
Old 04-28-12, 11:14 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Doesn't matter to me what they drive, at the end of the day, they are still Billionaires
Old 04-28-12, 11:48 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Reminds me of the late Enzo Ferrari. He used to buzz around in a small Fiat 128 as his daily-driver. (Fiat, BTW, used to play that up in their ads, years ago.)

Worst mistake he ever made is to drive that pos. He died in a car accident and had he be driving a Benz or something German he would have surived and still be doing what he love.
Old 04-28-12, 11:56 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Not correct. That vintage Volvo and those several years older have crumple zones and get progressively harder as you get closer to the passenger cage thereby absorbing the impact and protecting the passengers. That 1993 vintage also has air bags and ABS.

Volvo was way ahead of most other manufacturers in safety features until about the early '90s when consumers started demanding more safety.

I have personal experience having been broadsided while driving a 1975 MY Volvo 145 Wagon in 1975. A drunk driving on a 25 MPH side street ran a red light going about 70 MPH (from behind a building on the corner blocking my view) and broadsided the right rear panel. The Volvo rolled twice and landed on its wheels. Every single body panel on the Volvo was smashed. I opened the door and stepped out with only a very minor scratch on my ankle. I became a believer right then and there. It took a 2003 Lexus LS430 to lure me away from the Volvo brand.

And the 1993 Volvo wagon shown in this thread has more safety features than the '75 wagon.

Also, Volvo at the time was not a low-end brand. The cars were nicer and more comfortable than most. In 1975, Volvo was not quiet in the same league as Mercedes, but much better than most American and Japanese cars of the day in quality, luxury and especially safety.

That said, If I had that kind of money, a 240 wagon would not be my first choice today.

Edit: Volvo invented the crumple zone.

Last edited by TerrySmith; 04-29-12 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:13 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Worst mistake he ever made is to drive that pos. He died in a car accident and had he be driving a Benz or something German he would have surived and still be doing what he love.
Or a Volvo

http://www.buyingadvice.com/auto-buy...safety-record/
Old 04-29-12, 12:14 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, my richest client who just spend over 40 millions for buying properties this year ( one he lives at for 3.9 mil ), still ride around in his 2000 maxima with 200k miles. I always tell him to buy something nicer. Come on, he lives in a million dollar home and drives a 3000 dollar car! Well, at least he listened and is shopping for a Benz.

Last edited by blacksc400; 04-29-12 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-29-12, 12:39 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I guess some people just have sentimental reasons to keep driving older cars?
I'd still drive my IS around sometimes if I won the lotto tomorrow, definitely wouldn't sell it
Old 04-29-12, 01:13 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Not correct. That vintage Volvo and those several years older have crumple zones and get progressively harder as you get closer to the passenger cage thereby absorbing the impact and protecting the passengers. That 1993 vintage also has air bags and ABS.

Volvo was way ahead of most other manufacturers in safety features until about the early '90s when consumers started demanding more safety.

I have personal experience having been broadsided while driving a 1975 MY Volvo 145 Wagon in 1975. A drunk driving on a 25 MPH side street ran a red light going about 70 MPH (from behind a building on the corner blocking my view) and broadsided the right rear panel. The Volvo rolled twice and landed on its wheels. Every single body panel on the Volvo was smashed. I opened the door and stepped out with only a very minor scratch on my ankle. I became a believer right then and there. It took a 2003 Lexus LS430 to lure me away from the Volvo brand.

And the 1993 Volvo wagon shown in this thread has more safety features than the '75 wagon.

Also, Volvo at the time was not a low-end brand. The cars were nicer and more comfortable than most. In 1975, Volvo was not quiet in the same league as Mercedes, but much better than most American and Japanese cars of the day in quality, luxury and especially safety.

That said, If I had that kind of money, a 240 wagon would not be my first choice today.

Edit: Volvo invented the crumple zone.
I'm aware that Volvo have been on top when it comes to safety, but still, newer cars are safer. Not to mention when cars get older, chassis, subframe and everything is getting weaker and rusted if not taken good care of.
At the end of the day, it's his money, he can get whatever he wants.

Quick Reply: IKEA founder worth $28B and his daily driver is a