Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IKEA founder worth $28B and his daily driver is a

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 03:02 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Not everyone cares about what they drive, but if you have that much money, you should be more concern about your safety.
Exactly.

If you're not into cars, there's no reason at all to blow way too much money on something you don't care about. I'm sure there's plenty of good Volvo mechanics and good parts supplies in Sweden to keep those older cars on the road. One of my uncles is a huge fan of the older Volvos because he had severe back problems and the seats in the Volvos were the best of any car he had ever driven and made his back problems go away. He only finally got a newer one because the older '80's one he had ceased to be repairable.
Old 04-29-12, 04:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
But wouldn't you at least want a reliable, safe, and comfortable mode of transportation even if you're not into cars? Instead of one that could break down at any moment, likely has some non-working features, and is probably unpleasant to drive.

I'd have nothing to say if a billionaire drove a current Camry, but a 20 year old wagon? C'mon.
I'm sure his Volvo is reliable, safe and comfy. With enough money, any car can be reliable. It was safe from the factory. The Volvo's of that era were known as the safest on the planet. The ones I rode in were also comfy.
Old 04-29-12, 05:10 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't see what the fuss is about. Volvos have always been very safe cars but that's not the issue. Cars may hold no interest for him (surprisingly, he's not alone in this) and may feel that it's a waste to discard a perfectly good car for something newer. It's like having a favourite pair of comfortable shoes you wear for years and don't want to throw out.
Old 04-29-12, 05:20 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In south Florida, there are high end cars everywhere. Many exotics too. It's one of the things I like about living here.

There are also many more people of wealth and means who drive cars that don't match their wealth. They are the smart ones. We're the dummies who spend significantly on a rapidly depreciating product. The wise ones just want to get where they're going and back.
Old 04-29-12, 10:29 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The Volvo 240 interior in question ....

A Lexus interior from the same year...

Old 04-29-12, 10:52 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cino
I'm aware that Volvo have been on top when it comes to safety, but still, newer cars are safer. Not to mention when cars get older, chassis, subframe and everything is getting weaker and rusted if not taken good care of.
At the end of the day, it's his money, he can get whatever he wants.
I agree with all that.
Old 04-29-12, 10:54 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The Volvo 240 interior in question ....

I always liked those big easy to read analog clocks . . .
Old 04-29-12, 11:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Volvo was way ahead of most other manufacturers in safety features until about the early '90s when consumers started demanding more safety.
I don't think vehicle safety is driven by demand from consumers, it's driven by government mandates. Sure, to the consumer, safety is nice to have but the only reason they appear on todays cars is because the government says so, not because that's what consumers want.
Old 04-29-12, 11:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Doesn't matter to me what they drive, at the end of the day, they are still Billionaires
Ain't it the truth? Not everyone really gives a crap about the car they drive (half these people are probably traveling the world most of the time and getting driven about in limos anyway). Now the article doesn't mention what types of homes, boats, private jets, vacation spots or islands these folks have. At this level of income a car is like your cell phone... it's incidental to the more important things in your life and not a real focus.
Old 04-29-12, 11:55 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't think vehicle safety is driven by demand from consumers, it's driven by government mandates. Sure, to the consumer, safety is nice to have but the only reason they appear on todays cars is because the government says so, not because that's what consumers want.
I may be wrong, but I think both are factors. I see lots of competition between manufactures on safety that I did not see 25 or 30 years ago. That not all cars that meet Government requirements have equal safety ratings, even in a particular class, implies competition is driving safety beyond the regulations.
Old 04-29-12, 12:18 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats probably how he got so rich, spending very little but earning alot. If it were me I would buy something modern but maybe he doesn't like anything else. Or maybe thats the car he wished he could get one day or maybe it was a car someone close to him drove, etc , etc. At the end of the day it is silly to me but hes the one with the BILLIONS, so Im irrelevant to him.
Old 04-29-12, 12:54 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that was my first ever car...!
but mine was an '85 240DL wagon to be exact.
Old 04-29-12, 01:46 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

From what i've seen, rich people differ from the extremely rich in that rich people show they have money, the extremely rich have nothing to prove. Maybe it's where i am, but while rich people are paying monthly car payments to lease brand new beamers, lexus, and mercedes, the really rich ones have older models, anywhere from late 90's to 08's, lexus' bmws' and mercedes that they payed up for upfront and see no reason to get rid off. I know a doctor who is definitely one of the wealthiest in the area and he drives a 1994 black lexus ls400, got it brand new in 1993. His son asked him why doesn't he get a new one and he said "why would i get a new one if mine is already paid, does everything i need it to, and still looks good"
Old 04-29-12, 10:31 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of reasons I'm throwing out there, either he's keeping it for sentimental reasons or he doesn't want to deal with new technology in modern cars. If he's driven that same car for over 20 years, he'll get lost inside of a new car.

What I'm wondering is, what does he spend his money on, if he doesn't even buy a new car?
Old 04-29-12, 11:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

you cant take it to the grave. Sentimental or not if it was me I would be driving at least a new S class. To each his own but I can only speak for me. I want to be safe, comfy, and pampered. If I made money like that I would think I deserved more than the old Volvo.

Quick Reply: IKEA founder worth $28B and his daily driver is a