Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 10:20 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

^ +1 agreed.
Old 04-30-12, 02:15 PM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another BMW owner/lessee doing his best to reduce Toyota/Lexus sales and proud of it...
Old 04-30-12, 02:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

OK guys lets make this thread less personal please...
Old 05-01-12, 03:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07grIS350
Another BMW owner/lessee doing his best to reduce Toyota/Lexus sales and proud of it...
Hehe though in fairness, one of his recommendations was a Camry 2.5 liter so it's still alright
Old 05-01-12, 04:10 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
the problem here is that the title of this thread makes it seem like the OP is proud of what he has done...
I'm proud that I saved my parents thousands of dollars by recommending that they not buy a hybrid that never would have paid off for them when they're strictly bottom line total cost of ownership shoppers. Don't see what the problem is. Like I mentioned they're retired. They're not slogging it out in constant stop and go rush hour traffic sitting for hours every week like so many do. If that were the case, I'd have told them to get a hybrid since that's where those work the very best

As for my coworker, I'm not sure how serious she ever was about hybrids, but she's definitely wanted a convertible for years just like I did. I'd have been happy to recommend a Lexus IS-C, but I can't vouch for how well those work as daily driven kid hauling grocery run weekend trip makers since I don't own one. I can only vouch for the Bimmer, and it's most excellent for that.
Old 05-01-12, 04:39 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2008GSh
And once you drive a CVT you will never go back. It is like being launched off of the Nimitz... All thrust, no wait. I would have bought this car JUST for the transmission.
I've driven CVT cars and don't care for them. I'm old fashioned. I love the sound and feel of engines winding up through the gears.

As for hybrid sales... Interesting that they don't come back... maybe, but they you have to wonder why every year more and more are sold and more and more hybrid models are offered for sale. If they are such a bad economic proposition, who is buying all of these cars and why is the number sales increasing year after year. They have been readily available now for over a decade now. if they were so bad you'd think that you would start to see a sales decline. Just last month they set a record in both Japan and America for the most Prius'es sold in a single month EVER!
Like I mentioned, it illustrates that a lot of the people buying hybrids are first time hybrid buyers, and that many of them won't be buying another based on current trends. If you're responsible for hybrid sales, it's a worrying trend that you're going to want to get to the bottom of, because eventually you'll run out of 'first time' hybrid buyers and will need to find ways to get repeat buyers if you want to hold onto your business. Record current hybrid sales plus poor repeat hybrid sales are not mutually exclusive events.

Its also more than a little ironic that you put someone who was worried about their car's reliability into a hard top BWM convertible... Ya, those never break and are free to fix.... In 4 or 5 years your friend is in for some rude awakenings.
So you're saying that if someone has always wanted a convertible and has dreamed of owning one for years that they should not get one for fears that it might break sometime down the road? Ok, but that's a little boring. And I think you're being a little demeaning towards my co-worker. She's a "big girl" engineering project manager whom I think it quite capable of making decisions for herself. Don't think she'll be running into any repair cost issues on a 36 month lease, or even out to 6yrs/100k if they decide to flip it to a CPO when the lease is up. The BMW hard tops have proven to be a pretty solid design, and if you're thinking about long-term ownership there's plenty of solid DIY care documentation posted online.
Old 05-01-12, 06:05 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 2002 Mercedes ML320 (18mpg avg) to my 2008 Camry Hybrid (36mpg avg). My savings in fuel costs has already paid for the price difference to step up into a newer vehicle. In 2010 I paid $16k for my Camry with 48k miles. Two years later and at 75k miles I could still just as easily get $16k for it. How about adding no loss in depreciation to my savings.
Old 05-01-12, 06:17 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

You're comparing apples to oranges there, so I'm not sure what your point is. That Camry certainly wasn't anywhere close to $16k brand new either, and eventually its street price will drop especially once you're past 100k miles.
Old 05-01-12, 06:55 AM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
So you're saying that if someone has always wanted a convertible and has dreamed of owning one for years that they should not get one for fears that it might break sometime down the road? Ok, but that's a little boring. And I think you're being a little demeaning towards my co-worker. She's a "big girl" engineering project manager whom I think it quite capable of making decisions for herself. Don't think she'll be running into any repair cost issues on a 36 month lease, or even out to 6yrs/100k if they decide to flip it to a CPO when the lease is up. The BMW hard tops have proven to be a pretty solid design, and if you're thinking about long-term ownership there's plenty of solid DIY care documentation posted online.
I said none of that... Just though it was ironic... Oh and studies show that most convertible buyers do not buy a second one.
Old 05-01-12, 07:39 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You're comparing apples to oranges there, so I'm not sure what your point is. That Camry certainly wasn't anywhere close to $16k brand new either, and eventually its street price will drop especially once you're past 100k miles.
Wasn't making a comparison really. Just a personal anecdote of how one can still reap great benefits from purchasing a hybrid. Nobody is forcing you to buy brand new.
Old 05-01-12, 07:53 PM
LexFather

e. But she made the mistake of going for a ride in my 2011 E93 335i, and it was all downhill from there. Looks way better than any hybrid. .
Sure it does

I love people saying "wow thats a hybrid" and the compliments I get are quite amazing and often. Stupid dumb hybrid
Attached Thumbnails I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.-150724_290105521072297_229479260468257_612390_1104031682_n.jpg   I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.-537798_3757724952128_1546626223_33107041_1284916130_n.jpg   I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.-bbk1.jpg   I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.-photo-11-.jpg  

Old 05-02-12, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sure it does

I love people saying "wow thats a hybrid" and the compliments I get are quite amazing and often. Stupid dumb hybrid
Is that you in the light blue T-Shirt and sunglasses, Mike? Looks like a guy about your size.
Old 05-02-12, 11:41 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed wheels again? car is looking good!
Old 05-02-12, 11:47 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think I have had the opposite effect with my GS450h... Just about everyone who drives in it wants to shop a hybrid! My father who drives an IS, after driving my rocket ship... is Seriously considering trading in his IS on a 2013 GS 450h...

My wife is now talking about dumping her V8 4Runner (that gets 16 mpg) for a Highlander Hybrid...

Regardless of what BS Fox news is spewing out these days, my next car will definitely be another hybrid, hopefully a GS plug in, I love this technology.

5.2 Seconds to 60 AND I'm getting almost 28 MPG in the freaking CITY!
I get mileage close to that in town with my eighteen plus year old SC400, 23-24 MPG with usual driving, 27 plus with very conservative technique.
Old 05-02-12, 12:03 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

So did my mom... The point is if your goal is to save money you would buy a POS like that on Craigslist for next to nothing... drive it for a year until it blew up and then buy another disposable car. That is the cheapest way to own a car... Of course it comes with all kinds of down sides. Like being stranded, not getting to work on time, etc. Over its life an average new car will cost you about $200 a month. Luxury cars are more like double that. The initial capital depreciation is one of the most expensive parts of a car.

If anyone hopes to recoup the capital cost of a car with gas or even repair savings of course they are going to be disappointed.
I bought my SC400 new in February, 1994, for $44,000. Assuming it still has some value for resale today, that works out to $180 a month for depreciation. Repairs include a power window regulator, a water pump, an alternator, and a bunch of tires and batteries. Not too bad for a luxury sport coupe. I only hope my next Lexus is that reliable.

Quick Reply: I've now 'killed' two hybrid car sales in a row.