Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda developing tech that helps prevent traffic jams

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 09:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Honda developing tech that helps prevent traffic jams

Honda developing tech that helps prevent traffic jams

It happens every time traffic gets too heavy and starts to slow: One inattentive driver panics and slams on his brakes, triggering a chain reaction that leads to a complete traffic stoppage a few dozen cars behind. If everyone could just slow down, pay attention, and maintain an even speed, we could all get where we're going. Honda hopes to deploy a new system to help make that a reality.

The Japanese automaker has developed the first-ever vehicle communications system geared to cut both traffic jams and fuel use by monitoring a driver's acceleration and braking habits and providing information that Honda says will encourage smoother driving.

Honda, along with the University of Tokyo's Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology, has developed on-board terminals that connect to cloud-based computing systems to allow communications between cars on the same road that can help drivers maintain a relatively constant driving distance between vehicles. Tailgating is bad for both traffic and fuel economy, and Honda's system discourages it.

The system differs from traffic monitoring systems that have been part of other vehicle communication systems in that it provides color-coded displays to indicate whether the driver needs to drive smoother and make acceleration and deceleration more gradual. The system can also work with adaptive cruise control to automatically regulate speed among a group of vehicles. The first public road tests will occur in Italy and Indonesia starting in May of 2012. Honda says the system can boost average speed by 23 percent and increase fuel economy by eight percent. Not bad for some cloud computing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/30/h...-traffic-jams/
Old 04-30-12, 09:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I like the idea, but truth is drivers just need to be more aware, alert, and less stupid
Old 04-30-12, 09:56 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see the future being similar to minority report in the sense that all the cars will drive themselves. This would actually be a great thing, AS long as there are separate roads where people can drive themselves.

As well, automated would make things more efficient. It would pretty much be akin to having your own private 'public transport'. If people opted for that plan, I would imagine car insurance premiums would drop as well. If people aren't driving their cars and the cars are automated through a secured cloud system.....then we would be able to reach our destinations faster, traffic would become almost non existent and we would save on fuel costs. I like this idea.
Old 04-30-12, 10:02 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it. Commuting through the 405 everyday to work can be ridiculous at times. People simply don't have the awareness and alertness sometimes and it is frustrating.
Old 04-30-12, 12:10 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I can see the future being similar to minority report in the sense that all the cars will drive themselves. This would actually be a great thing, AS long as there are separate roads where people can drive themselves.

As well, automated would make things more efficient. It would pretty much be akin to having your own private 'public transport'. If people opted for that plan, I would imagine car insurance premiums would drop as well. If people aren't driving their cars and the cars are automated through a secured cloud system.....then we would be able to reach our destinations faster, traffic would become almost non existent and we would save on fuel costs. I like this idea.
I totally agree with this and have brought this idea up many times with my car friends. I totally see this happening in the future
Old 04-30-12, 12:53 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Love it. Commuting through the 405 everyday to work can be ridiculous at times. People simply don't have the awareness and alertness sometimes and it is frustrating.
I agree. The morning and evening commutes are the worst. Morning because everyone is groggy about having to go to work early and just want to get to work and be done with their day. Seems like half the people are barely awake and their driving! Evening is bad because a lot of people are tired of being at work all day and just want to get home. So you got people on the road that tired (not paying attention) and annoyed from being at work all day (more aggressive driving habits when pissed).
Old 04-30-12, 12:55 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

autonomous vehicles would definately make the commute more effecient if everyone is on the same page, however every time I give myself space from the car in front of me to prevent these traffic stops, there is that bafoon(s) that wants to take over that 20' to 30' of space - without signaling.