Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Turn signal neglect results in over twice as many crashes as distracted driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 12:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Turn signal neglect results in over twice as many crashes as distracted driving

Turn signal neglect results in over twice as many crashes as distracted driving

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has taken dead aim at stamping out distracted driving and with good reason. Last year, inattentive drivers caused around 950,000 accidents. But according to a new study by the Society of Automotive Engineers, there's another issue causing even more accidents across the country: turn signal neglect. According to their research, drivers neglect their turn signals, either by failing to turn when their signal is activated or not activating the signal at all, an astonishing 750 billion times a year. What's more, neglecting the signals may be responsible for as many as two million accidents per year.

SAE says the solution lies in the implementation of so-called "Smart Turn Signals," which use sensors to shut off turn signals before they become a safety hazard. What's more, engineers can integrate a "Turn Signal Assist" feature, which uses a vehicle information display to alert the driver if they fail to use turn signals on a regular basis or don't shut them off in a timely manner. The report says that since the system uses sensors already integrated into the stability control module, there would be no cost added to the vehicle's bottom line.

This is our skeptical face. We're major proponents of proper and consistent turn signal use, but we're bigger fans of creating smarter drivers through education than we are of building smarter cars.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/30/t...rashes-as-dis/
Old 04-30-12, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

not using turn signals is a huge pet peeve of mine
Old 04-30-12, 12:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Just make it a regularly ticketed offense.
Old 04-30-12, 12:30 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big pet peeve of mine too. They are there for a reason, so please use it!
Old 04-30-12, 12:32 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defensive driving techniques would help folks too.
Old 04-30-12, 01:00 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It happens all the time here in SoCal, people merge without using their turn signals. Even the cops do it! It's the worst when you're on the highway going about 70 and a car rips across all 4 or 5 lanes, no turn signal, just to take the exit. Pisses me off! And it happens all the time!
Old 04-30-12, 02:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Mine too. It's about time this was addressed. I say string em up.

But I also agree with this:

"We're major proponents of proper and consistent turn signal use, but we're bigger fans of creating smarter drivers through education than we are of building smarter cars."
Old 04-30-12, 04:40 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
It happens all the time here in SoCal, people merge without using their turn signals. Even the cops do it! It's the worst when you're on the highway going about 70 and a car rips across all 4 or 5 lanes, no turn signal, just to take the exit. Pisses me off! And it happens all the time!
Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Defensive driving techniques would help folks too.
agreed, this is so common in socal especially the 91 freeway that ive gotten use to it.

when theres traffic, people RARELY use their turn signal, signal AFTER they change lanes or signal for half a second, turn it off, then change lanes. the worst part is most peoples turn signals are out or dont even work

then again though, DEFENSIVE driving does work! its simple dont tailgate and keep your distance!
Old 04-30-12, 05:04 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Same here

Some reason I have a six sense about when people are about to turn without a turn signal. It is the way they drive
Old 04-30-12, 05:07 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people don't use them here in Vegas. Some of them are not just lazy, they are not using it because they think it's cool, or simply have no manner.
Old 04-30-12, 05:26 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
agreed, this is so common in socal especially the 91 freeway that ive gotten use to it.

when theres traffic, people RARELY use their turn signal, signal AFTER they change lanes or signal for half a second, turn it off, then change lanes. the worst part is most peoples turn signals are out or dont even work
I've experienced this with my fiance's dad's truck when we borrowed it to move recently. I was wondering why it was blinking fast, and realized it was the left front bulb that was inop . I have to follow up with him to see if he replaced it.
Old 05-01-12, 11:19 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This brings back memories when I was hit when the car next to me merged into my car. Luckily the mirror was the only thing broken but I made sure to upgrade that mirror to have the heating element and everything just to teach the driver a lesson since they were paying cash to fix it.

People are stupid, much worse in the rain. I rant all the time going to LA every week. Gets even worse in the 626 area when I visit my girlfriend
Old 05-01-12, 12:39 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

I wish cars had a megaphone, that way you can yell out "SIGNAL B*TCH"
Old 05-01-12, 01:32 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
This brings back memories when I was hit when the car next to me merged into my car. Luckily the mirror was the only thing broken but I made sure to upgrade that mirror to have the heating element and everything just to teach the driver a lesson since they were paying cash to fix it.

People are stupid, much worse in the rain. I rant all the time going to LA every week. Gets even worse in the 626 area when I visit my girlfriend
This plus your facebook posts make you look like a very angry person Isaac
Old 05-01-12, 01:39 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coconut
I wish cars had a megaphone, that way you can yell out "SIGNAL B*TCH"
HAHAHHAHAAH that made my day. One thing I do find as annoying, is someone keeping their turn signal on after switching lanes. It is like wtf?! There should be a timer on those things!

Quick Reply: Turn signal neglect results in over twice as many crashes as distracted driving