Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This is what a drunk driver on the road looks like

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default This is what a drunk driver on the road looks like

This is what a drunk driver on the road looks like

Is the driver of this Ford Ranger driving under the influence? From the looks of this four-minute-long video where he or she pinballs repeatedly between ditch and center line and narrowly misses oncoming traffic, it certainly looks like the wheelman is soggy drunk.

This four-minute+ video catches all the stupidity from the first off-road foray at about 40 seconds all the way to an expertly executed nosedive into a ditch. The impromptu videographers do a a fine job commentating on every jerky move as they attempt to warn oncoming drivers.

There's high drama at various points throughout the video, and in the end, the driver is lucky that the conclusion isn't worse.

Before you ask, from the audio, it sounds like the videographers called the cops before starting his camera. We assume the authorities showed up soon after the truck's violent sudden stop, and presumably hauled the driver off to either jail, hospital or morgue. Either way, watching the video is a sobering reminder of the stupidity of driving under the influence.

Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/30/t...ad-looks-like/

^^
Source as well
Old 04-30-12, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Almost speechless. yikes
Old 04-30-12, 01:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that was crazy. Glad no innocent drivers/bystanders were hurt.
Old 04-30-12, 02:11 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends and I were once coming back from a night out and as we got off the freeway--we all noticed a very drunk driver behind the wheels of a BMW.

We loosely followed for about a quarter of a mile (big multi-lane commercial "central" road) to make sure he was indeed drunk before calling 911. He was running red lights (because he couldn't stop on time), and weaving through multiples lanes (4-5 lanes per side), and close to falling asleep behind the wheel.

Unfortunately for us, 911 took our call--asked all the questions, then transferred us to our local PD, and then as the guy was crossing city boundaries, the local PD then transferred us to the County Sheriff--and then by the time the County Sheriff guys had any kind of bearing on where we were---the drunk guy pulled onto his street and arrived home.
Old 04-30-12, 02:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Had a similar scary situation. Had just picked up my roomies BMW 335I from the tint shop for him when a Mustang came flying by, just barely avoiding to sideswipe the BMW. Stayed behind the Mustang and realized he/she was drunk...swerving across lanes and even hitting the side rails and bouncing back onto the freeway at times. I have no idea how the car kept going so many times...I was with other people in the car so we called 911 and they just transferred to CHP i believe who asked the location, plate info, etc and told me to back off. The car ended up going into a high traffic zone so i'm sure it made it easier to find the car...but at the same time I hope he/she didn't crash into anyone in all the traffic.
Old 04-30-12, 02:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Far too many times the drunk driver walks away from a bad accident leaving the innocent victims dead or badly injured. The video was scary indeed.
Old 04-30-12, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am speechless. I have seen people swerve but this was beyond swerving. If that driver would have killed himself would anyone have blamed anyone but himself. Thankfully this idiot didnt involve any passing motorists
Old 04-30-12, 06:50 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Its too bad by the looks of the wreck the driver wasn't hurt too bad. Glad no other person was hurt. Its sad because most of the time because the DUI is so out of it they survive alot of the wrecks(their bodies go limp) and the sober motorists or bystanders are the ones killed or seriousily hurt(bodies stay rigid).
Old 04-30-12, 08:22 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mythbusters had an episode about driving. They were saying driving, when really needing to go to the washroom, is as bad as a drunk driver on the road.
Old 04-30-12, 08:28 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JessePS
Mythbusters had an episode about driving. They were saying driving, when really needing to go to the washroom, is as bad as a drunk driver on the road.
Really... Im not sure I agree with that because I have had to go to the washroom really bad and just pulled over and bled the dragon.
Old 04-30-12, 08:53 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Really... Im not sure I agree with that because I have had to go to the washroom really bad and just pulled over and bled the dragon.
That was the myth, but I just finished the episode. It seems driving while you have to pee is bad, but not as bad as driving intoxicated.
Old 05-01-12, 12:05 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was terrifying, even just watching it.
Old 05-01-12, 12:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sleep deprivation though is as bad as intoxication under the right circumstances.

scary stuff though, for sure.
Old 05-01-12, 07:43 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sleep deprivation though is as bad as intoxication under the right circumstances.

scary stuff though, for sure.
+1 Some truckers complain they can go longer than what they allow them to log, but after having to pretty much dodge some 18 wheelers Im glad the rule is in place. If your falling asleep at the wheel clearly you have no control of the vechicle just as dangerous as a drunk driver I agree.
Old 05-01-12, 08:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

If I were a judge, there would be no mercy for drunk driving in my jurisdiction. I would dish out the max penalty every time without fail. We need to string these *******s up by their genitalia.