Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Inside Line - 2012-2013 Mid-Size Sedan Comparison Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Post Inside Line - 2012-2013 Mid-Size Sedan Comparison Test

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/so...ison-test.html

1st Place: 2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS
For the money, you won't find a better compromise of space, efficiency and everyday functionality in a family sedan; plus, it's the quickest car in this test.

2nd Place: 2012 Toyota Camry SE
It's quiet and comfortable in the usual Camry way, but this SE also offers respectable handling and a dash of style. It gets pricey if you don't keep a lid on the options, though.

3rd Place (tie): 2012 Honda Accord EX
The Accord is the driver's car of the group, with a liveliness to its steering and throttle response not found in the others. But the cabin looks dated and Bluetooth is MIA.

3rd Place (tie): 2012 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE
The VW offers a superb ride and an upscale cabin with lots of legroom. A lousy throttle calibration compromises drivability, though, and EPA ratings are subpar.

5th Place: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco 2SA
It's a huge improvement over the old Malibu, but the Eco model is pricey, with a small trunk and sluggish acceleration. A tight backseat doesn't help either.

Old 05-01-12, 09:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Sonata was the quickest? Surprised it wasn't the Camry. For an older car, the Accord did pretty well. The Passat "World Car of the Year" please hah. The Malibu getting last is NOT good for Chevy. All the other players played their cards first and Chevy had a major advantage in this. When the Altima and Fusion 2013 models come out it gets even worse for them.
Old 05-01-12, 09:47 PM
LexFather

Its also the 2nd test the Malibu was last...and its the newest car.

Old 05-01-12, 10:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sonata was the quickest? Surprised it wasn't the Camry. For an older car, the Accord did pretty well. The Passat "World Car of the Year" please hah. The Malibu getting last is NOT good for Chevy. All the other players played their cards first and Chevy had a major advantage in this. When the Altima and Fusion 2013 models come out it gets even worse for them.
This is good showing for Camry... Basically Sonata won because of their base model price, but car itself was not best in anything but acceleration. Camry SE actually handled the best on the track and much better mpg than Sonata. More space too. Cool.
Old 05-01-12, 10:27 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is good showing for Camry... Basically Sonata won because of their base model price, but car itself was not best in anything but acceleration. Camry SE actually handled the best on the track and much better mpg than Sonata. More space too. Cool.
And Accord would be #1 (even in its last year) if it was a newer model. It tells you the cars in this segment are stagnant if a car in its last year is still the "driver's car" in the comparison.
Old 05-02-12, 01:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hyundai has definitely come a long way, even if the Camry beat it (and I think it should have) Hyundai has done a pretty good job with the Sonata. Drove the Sonata 2.0T Limited myself and it was pretty good. Comfortable, plenty of features and that 274hp twin scroll turbo motor! Seen a few of the highly optioned Camry's around too and they are pretty nice. But base vs base, I guess the lower price has the Sonata as the winner. I really don't think you can go wrong with either the Sonata or Camry....especially if you have them optioned well
Old 05-02-12, 03:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Malibu getting last is NOT good for Chevy.
What's worse is that it was also the most expensive in the test.
Old 05-02-12, 06:02 AM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Where's the ford Fusion?

It's interesting how they go all out to option the camry and said it was high yet they control their option on others. If they have control the option on the camry it would take first place. On the side note, Accord does really well for being in it last year of production.
Old 05-02-12, 06:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nvslm
Where's the ford Fusion?

It's interesting how they go all out to option the camry and said it was high yet they control their option on others. If they have control the option on the camry it would take first place. On the side note, Accord does really well for being in it last year of production.
The article said the new Fusion (and Altima) aren't available yet and "look for a rematch soon."
Old 05-02-12, 07:12 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Congrats to Hyundai. Whatever some think Hyundai is doing wonders with their brand and people do like the products.

While it stings for Chevy to have their car come last in this battle the article also stated, and I agree, that there's not a bad car in the lot. It is a matter of personal needs and choice which is for you.

I do think that Chevy could learn a thing or two form competitors about interior space efficiency. The Malibu is a largish car with a tight interior. I recently had an Impala rental and it was the same thing. Big car with stingy interior room.
Old 05-02-12, 07:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doublehh03
And Accord would be #1 (even in its last year) if it was a newer model. It tells you the cars in this segment are stagnant if a car in its last year is still the "driver's car" in the comparison.
I dont think cars are stagnant - look at Camry improvements alone... look at new multimedia options. Pretty good.
Old 05-02-12, 07:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Hyundai has definitely come a long way, even if the Camry beat it (and I think it should have) Hyundai has done a pretty good job with the Sonata. Drove the Sonata 2.0T Limited myself and it was pretty good. Comfortable, plenty of features and that 274hp twin scroll turbo motor! Seen a few of the highly optioned Camry's around too and they are pretty nice. But base vs base, I guess the lower price has the Sonata as the winner. I really don't think you can go wrong with either the Sonata or Camry....especially if you have them optioned well
Sonata won because of cheaper price, not because it is better car of any of those tested. Without price, it certainly would have not won actually.
Old 05-02-12, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
And Accord would be #1 (even in its last year) if it was a newer model. .

Old 05-02-12, 07:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

People speak of price like it's not a huge advantage. The Sonata has been a hit for Hyundai. The Camry looks hot when it's all dress with the options. What's kills me about the Sonata is that alot of the owners drive around with attitudes like that are in a Lexus or Benz. Stop it!
Old 05-02-12, 10:56 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

All the comparison tests from different auto media had different results, who should I trust?

Quick Reply: Inside Line - 2012-2013 Mid-Size Sedan Comparison Test