Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I Bought... A Prius!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

congrats buddy. I have a friend who had a Prius and a 911 turbo and he would talk more about the Prius than he ever did about the Porsche
Old 05-03-12, 01:03 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

congrats --- you're gonna love the gas savings!!!

I had a '10 and averaged 60+mpg over the 20000 miles I owned it.
Old 05-03-12, 10:26 PM
LexFather

Congrats on the Prius!

Old 05-04-12, 01:00 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys! Yes I've been enjoying the Prius thus far and I am trying to get a hang of the MPG game... I've found that staying in power mode gets me better mileage than staying in Eco mode which makes the slows the throttle response.

I'll have to watch out for the cold start issues. Does the knock go away on its own or does it become a frequent problem if you happen to not warm it up properly once? Another question, when you're driving in the city/stop and go traffic do you feel the engine turning off? I figured it would be not as noticeable...
Old 05-04-12, 07:24 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

let's see some pics!

also -- a nice upgrade would these wheels....looks much better IMO...
Old 05-04-12, 07:29 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
... I'll have to watch out for the cold start issues. Does the knock go away on its own or does it become a frequent problem if you happen to not warm it up properly once? Another question, when you're driving in the city/stop and go traffic do you feel the engine turning off? I figured it would be not as noticeable...
The couple times I've had the cold start knock, I turned the car off and restarted it with no issues. It has never happened to me except when not letting the engine warm up on the previous start.

If the engine turns off while stopped, I feel it. If it turns off while moving, I don't generally feel it. I leave the display on the HSI indicator. When driving around town, I accelerate briskly to get up to speed and then dump the throttle quickly to force the car into EV mode until the next stop.

Around town, I usually get in the mid-50s for MPG. However, I drive about 80% highway above 70 MPH and average about 48 MPG overall in the summer.
Old 05-04-12, 08:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The couple times I've had the cold start knock, I turned the car off and restarted it with no issues. It has never happened to me except when not letting the engine warm up on the previous start.

If the engine turns off while stopped, I feel it. If it turns off while moving, I don't generally feel it. I leave the display on the HSI indicator. When driving around town, I accelerate briskly to get up to speed and then dump the throttle quickly to force the car into EV mode until the next stop.

Around town, I usually get in the mid-50s for MPG. However, I drive about 80% highway above 70 MPH and average about 48 MPG overall in the summer.
curious - are you running a quality synthetic? Castrol Edge Titanium or Pennzoil Ultra?

wondered if it would help with this issue.
Old 05-04-12, 02:36 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

I'll post up pics when I can this weekend. Looking to get new wheels too but do not want to affect mpg negatively. Are 17s going to make it drop in efficiency? I was looking at the Prius plus wheels but they're quite pricey.
Old 05-04-12, 03:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I'll post up pics when I can this weekend. Looking to get new wheels too but do not want to affect mpg negatively. Are 17s going to make it drop in efficiency? I was looking at the Prius plus wheels but they're quite pricey.
I put the 5 spoke 17s on my 2010 noticed a slight, like 1 or 2 mpg drop....BUT still averaged 60+mpg -- I had great commute with average speed 50mph (no freeway).

and yes, the wheels I posted above ARE much heavier than the stock 15s...the 15s are amazingly light.

oh btw - I paid $850 for the wheels and tires (had about 150 miles on them) - gotta check Priuschat out.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-04-12 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 04:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get my hands on the Prius C. The dealer said, seeing they are going like hot cakes, I might have to wait until July. Plus I managed to get $1000 manufactures rebate also

At these gas prices, 3.7L / 100 km would be amazing.
Old 05-04-12, 05:07 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
curious - are you running a quality synthetic? Castrol Edge Titanium or Pennzoil Ultra?

wondered if it would help with this issue.
I'm running whatever synthetic the dealer puts in as scheduled maintenance is free for the first 25K miles. (Granted, I'm paying for the alternate 5K oil changes as factory schedule only calls for 10K oil changes.) I have about 11K miles on the car.
Old 05-08-12, 01:27 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Here it is! Installed the rain visors on Sunday but had the rear driver's side fall off while it was parked
Attached Thumbnails I Bought... A Prius!-prius-side.jpg  
Old 05-09-12, 03:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

nice!

what do the wheels look like without the plastic covers (changed for '12)?

Installed the rain visors on Sunday but had the rear driver's side fall off while it was parked
if those are Weathertech - they are very accommodating...give them a call.
Old 05-10-12, 12:41 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Those are Weathertech and I've contacted them already. They helped out. The only problem now is the passenger front is giving me some issues (closing the window rubs it against the visors) No scratches on both the glass and the visoor. The guy said to reinstall that one and leave the windows up a few more days to see if it'll settle in. Very strange considering the driver's side works perfectly fine (no rubbing).

Tires are black rims if the covers are off but I'm sure it has ridges where the cover is suppose to go.
Old 05-10-12, 10:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Modding" the Prius... Will our children be talking about watts and volts as we speak about horsepower and torque? LOL. I'm intrigued to imagine the first EV hotrodders.

Quick Reply: I Bought... A Prius!