Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 03:50 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Second post in this thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...00-toyota.html
Old 05-07-12, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Tenth post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1580751887-post10.html

Old 05-07-12, 09:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
But to the point that Mmarshall was making, I think customers have had more to do with elevating these brands to status symbols than any marketing effort. The marketing is simply projecting an image appropriate to expectations.
another marketing assessment fail here.

It is marketing that makes people aware of not only product but aspire to be a part of a brand image. If DeBeers, Cartier, even Zales didn't market diamonds the way they do, people wouldn't be suckered into paying fortunes for sparkly compressed coal

But product matters too. Ultimately you have to walk the walk, not just talk (market). Sometimes great marketing is hindered by lousy product and sometimes great product is hindered by lousy marketing.
Old 05-07-12, 10:46 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this marketing guy....
Attached Thumbnails Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota-seems-legit.jpg  
Old 05-08-12, 12:41 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
Image wise there is no difference between a Lexus and a Toyota. They are both boring cars to drive.
1ST PLACE: Lexus GS 350 F Sport
Maybe The Ultimate Driving Machine

Nimble, balanced, precise, and quick, the GS is a (retired) BMW cloaked in Lexus steel. At 3834 pounds, the GS is the lightest of the four and it feels it -- turn-in is sharp and accurate, and weight transfer, whether lateral or longitudinal, is neutral and composed. The Lexus proved the most entertaining, rewarding, and confidence-inspiring up, down, and along our demanding Malibu road loop. Ultimate driving machine? Oh, yeah.

Lieberman: "Great steering. Balanced, communicative, properly weighted. Just a joy to drive. Neutral without being leaden. Very Mazda-like, in fact. And I say all this having driven the car in Sport instead of Sport Plus." Evans: "This is a Lexus? Really impressed with the handling and confidence in the car. Holds the road much better than expected. Can really fling it at the corners." Martinez: "The Sport Plus algorithm allows for a proper testing of its grip thresholds, and on the loop's tight technical zigzags, it was just right. Only once did any traction control light flash, and, unlike the Infiniti, shifts were clean, fast, and when you wanted them. Also unlike the Infiniti: The Lexus felt way smaller than it was. Like, really smaller."

[FYI, The Lexus GS beat the previous Ultimate Driving Machine, the BMW 5 series into second place.]

LINK : MotorTrend's Midsize Luxury Comparison : Lexus GS vs BMW 5 series vs Infiniti M37S vs Audi A6
Old 05-08-12, 01:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I think a lot of luxury car buyers use their car to personify their image. Nothing wrong with that. If that's what's important to the person, let the car work for them. If they wanted to be frugal or conservative, they could have bought a Corolla.

Regarding the original post, I don't look at a BMW as a luxury car. It appears more like a sporting sedan than anything else. IMO, Lexus has always had posher interiors than the German makes.
Old 05-08-12, 05:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That's a car that performs as well or even better than some exotics which are 2,3+ times the cost.
Well worth $100K.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-08-12 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-08-12, 05:57 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
another marketing assessment fail here.

It is marketing that makes people aware of not only product but aspire to be a part of a brand image. If DeBeers, Cartier, even Zales didn't market diamonds the way they do, people wouldn't be suckered into paying fortunes for sparkly compressed coal

But product matters too. Ultimately you have to walk the walk, not just talk (market). Sometimes great marketing is hindered by lousy product and sometimes great product is hindered by lousy marketing.

Which is not contradictory to what I said. Of course marketing reinforces brand image.

I work with branding everyday as it's what my company does.
Old 05-08-12, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Which is not contradictory to what I said. Of course marketing reinforces brand image.

I work with branding everyday as it's what my company does.
Not trying to be atgumentative, but I think it is contradictory. You said:

I think customers have had more to do with elevating these brands to status symbols than any marketing effort. The marketing is simply projecting an image appropriate to expectations.
i think it's the other way around. I think marketing has more to do with elevating these brands than any customers.
Old 05-08-12, 07:37 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Not trying to be atgumentative, but I think it is contradictory. You said:

i think it's the other way around. I think marketing has more to do with elevating these brands than any customers.
It's a tricky thing with these particular brands. They've been aspirational since before anyone can remember. One thing is that BMW and Mercedes arose to prominence in this country when anything imported had a prestigious mystique about it. True, these companies targeted the affluent customer and the marketing reflected that. But it goes further than just marketing. These brands have a life of their own and the image is self-perpetuating. If you look at the ads and marketing for them there really is no overt statement of wealth or opulence in them because those attributes just seem to be understood by the customer. This is the brand expectation. Then we see celebrities and dignitaries driving around in their cars which reinforces the aspirational image. Customers aspire to be like successful people and drive the cars which reflect that success.

Today, branding takes a different path. We're in an age of brand creating rather than brand building. Many of our clients come to us and they don't even know who they are or what they stand for. They want us to figure it out for them so that can be communicated to the public. It's almost like "make us a good brand". I think in the case of BMW and Mercedes the customer had a big hand in defining who and what those brands are. The marketing responded by reinforcing the image the customer already has... the brand expectation.
Old 05-08-12, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You're far too logical. . you could never make it in marketing!
I wouldn't want to, the way typical auto marketing is done. Much of it is an insult to one's intelligence.
Old 05-08-12, 11:48 PM
dadoody
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus has been done right for a while. I was quite impressed with who they sponsored and how they've sponsored people in the past.
It was great back in 2008 when I drove to the Orange County Fair, and my money wasn't taken by the parking attendants, because all Lexus drivers parked free (courtesy of Lexus sponsorship).

Another difference is in marketing and public perception:
Lexus had commercials featuring classical music, classy settings, and the narration of James Sloyan. Public perception: pure class. Mimicked Mercedes marketing.
Acura commercials tried to pound the "hey! we're luxury and different!" message, but were too technical.

As opposed to Acura doing almost nothing to differentiate themselves from Honda and becoming simply another Honda model....and right now, Hondas look better than Acuras. The current Acuras have been looking quite monkey butt ugly since 2007ish?

My current issue with Lexus has been the downgraded service quality from the dealerships.

Last edited by dadoody; 05-08-12 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 01:33 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

That's a car that performs as well or even better than some exotics which are 2,3+ times the cost.
Well worth $100K.
But the material and fit and finish are just down there with econoboxes. You can buy a better build quality and make it as fast for less.
Old 05-09-12, 05:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
But the material and fit and finish are just down there with econoboxes. You can buy a better build quality and make it as fast for less.
Not ZR1 fast.
The ZR1 is a beast that performs.The problem it has it's the interior which is typical GM plastic and the seats were always a complaint.

Top Gear

Quality

"The reason the ZR-1 'Vette is cheap is because it shares a dash and some other bits with the lesser versions, so it just doesn't feel as special as it could. But then again it all works, and the technology is there (the car is mostly carbonfibre), so rest assured that the car has the quality - it just might not be on show. "

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-09-12 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:02 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Not ZR1 fast.
The ZR1 is a beast that performs.The problem it has it's the interior which is typical GM plastic and the seats were always a complaint.

Top Gear

Quality

"The reason the ZR-1 'Vette is cheap is because it shares a dash and some other bits with the lesser versions, so it just doesn't feel as special as it could. But then again it all works, and the technology is there (the car is mostly carbonfibre), so rest assured that the car has the quality - it just might not be on show. "
I don't know, but for similar price point and performance, GT-R has better build quality. Maybe because it doesn't have lesser model, but I wouldn't pay 100K+ for a crappy interior.

Quick Reply: Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota