Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

While Toyota shakes off 2-year turmoil, it's a different story at Honda

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Post While Toyota shakes off 2-year turmoil, it's a different story at Honda

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../back-on-track

Suddenly, Toyota is looking like the juggernaut of old -- a warning to rivals that the window of opportunity for stealing market share from the former No. 1 brand may have snapped shut.

With its inventory levels all but normal again, Toyota Motor's sales were up 12 percent in April, well above the industry's 2 percent gain.

"The consumer is back for Toyota," said AutoNation COO Mike Maroone. "That's more important than Toyota getting product back."

But it's a different story at Honda. While its bigger rival shakes off two years of turmoil, Honda is still struggling, still trying to rebound from the March 2011 earthquake in Japan and a disappointing response to some of its new models last year.

"Toyota is back, and all the way back in just four months," said TrueCar.com analyst Jesse Toprak. "Meanwhile, Honda may be discovering that some of its 2011 losses are permanent."

Toyota Motor and Chrysler Group, which was up 20 percent, were the only major groups to outperform the U.S. market's 2 percent sales gain in April. Hyundai-Kia eked out a 1 percent increase, and Nissan North America was flat. Ford Motor Co. was down 5 percent, and General Motors dropped 8 percent.

But sales of 1.2 million light vehicles kept the seasonally adjusted annual selling rate at 14.4 million, the same as March and the fourth straight month above 14 million.

How did Toyota get its customers back so quickly?

Not only did it restock; it rearmed with a redesigned Camry and other new models. And with the demand for more fuel-efficient vehicles, Prius sales surged 102 percent in April and are up 56 percent for the year.

Meanwhile, sales of Honda's most fuel-efficient cars are lagging, even with gasoline not far below $4 a gallon.

Toyota also was a bit faster than Honda in restoring its global production and resupplying U.S. dealers. Still, Maroone said, Honda has plenty of vehicles to sell.

Toyota has closed the gap with the U.S. sales leaders. In April, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. pulled within 2,000 units of No. 2 Ford Motor and 36,000 units of No. 1 GM.

Among brands, Toyota Division, up 14 percent over last year, finished only 500 units behind No. 2 Chevrolet and 18,000 behind No. 1 Ford. Among the five top-selling brands, only Toyota improved over April 2011.

American Honda fell 2 percent compared with April 2011, its 10th year-on-year decline in 12 months. The group's 9.5 percent market share in the first four months of 2012 was 0.8 percentage points below the same period last year.

Honda executives say the year-on-year comparisons are somewhat skewed. Last April, the Honda brand was up 10 percent, and Acura rose 8 percent as customers anticipated that the quake would soon cause a shortage of vehicles.

'More volume out there'

Bob Carter: More volume is on the way.

Still, Toyota Motor Sales is rebuilding market share faster than American Honda. Toyota's 15.0 percent share in April was 4.5 points higher than last June, when supplies bottomed out. Honda was up 2.3 points since then to 10.3 percent in April.

"Any way you look at it, Toyota, Lexus and Scion dealers outperformed the industry," said Toyota brand boss Bob Carter. "April was an excellent month for Toyota and a good month for the industry.

"If we had more Priuses and Camrys, there's a little more volume out there," Carter said. "We are ordering more Camrys and [the factory] is able to build them. We are adding overall volume."

And the trouble Toyota had conquesting buyers after the 2010 unintended acceleration crisis appears to have dissipated. Maroone said: "For a while, it was loyal Toyota customers that carried sales. Now they're attracting new customers."

With supplies back and buyers proving their loyalty to the brand, prospects change for competitors.

"The pressure now mounts on everybody who has benefited from Toyota being short of product," said LMC Automotive forecaster Jeff Schuster. "That starts with Volkswagen and Hyundai-Kia who have their own inventory pressure. It's Nissan and General Motors and Ford until it adds the [new] Fusion. But you can call it every major player. It certainly does heat up the competition."

Don Johnson, GM's U.S. sales chief, said: "There's no doubt the Japanese are back in the market. They have a high inventory. They're being particularly aggressive in the fleet business. But we're going to maintain our competitiveness in the market."

Boosting incentives
Toyota is not all the way back. It is still well short of its peak 17 percent share in 2009 before the unintended-acceleration controversy hurt its image. To regain ground, both Toyota and Honda have boosted incentives substantially.

Just three years ago the two had the lowest incentives in the industry. Last month, Honda spent $2,398 per vehicle, $48 below the industry average. And while Toyota's April incentives were about $50 lower than last year, its $1,823 average was $600 higher than Hyundai-Kia's.

And Toyota will keep the pressure on. It started May with an incentives push: 0 percent financing on its seven best-selling models and special lease rates on "nearly every model in our lineup," Carter said.

Meanwhile, Toyota is boosting capacity at its 14 North American plants.

Toyota has boosted fleet sales to "an untypical high" 15 percent of its U.S. sales mix so far this year, Carter said, rather than its normal 8 to 9 percent.

Toyota says it is supplying fleet buyers after it diverted sales to retail during the shortage last year and it will continue the fleet emphasis in May.

Honda can't match that. It lets dealers handle all fleet sales. Most industry insiders estimate fleet at a flat 2 percent of Honda overall sales.

Both Toyota and Honda have problem areas in their lineups.

While Camry and Prius hybrid sales are strong, Toyota Corolla volume is down 8 percent this year, and that will continue until production ramps up at the new Tupelo, Miss., plant. Sales of the Tundra pickup also are down.

At Honda, the redesigned CR-V is up 24 percent through April, replacing the outgoing Accord sedan as the brand's top seller, 98,214 to 96,517. But Honda's fuel-sippers haven't benefited much from the high price of gasoline. So far the Fit small car is down 33 percent, the CR-Z coupe is off 69 percent, and Insight hybrid is down 65 percent. Civic sales fell 9 percent in April.

Spokesman Chuck Schifsky concedes that Honda is not all the way back.

"Dealers don't have the selection they want yet," he said. "They may be short on hot products, such as the CR-V. Production is back to normal but getting dealers back to normal may take a little longer. We're fairly happy but it's a work in progress."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz1uFD5xINg

Old 05-07-12, 09:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

talk about a fall from grace
Old 05-07-12, 09:30 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda has fallen down a lot. The next Accord will be HUGE for them.

And they really need to cut out some cars in its stable: CRZ/Insight/Crosstours. Nobody is buying these cars. And they're ugly as hell.

The CRV is a shining star for them as it's completely dominating its segment. Civic is a best seller this year in its segment. Nevertheless, it still has a long way to go.
Old 05-07-12, 11:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, Honda has nothing attractive in their current lineup, save for the new CRV. Where as I can point out at least 8 models in Toyota's line up I would love to have. Wait till all the new models that will appear in Toyota's showroom in the near future, the sales will go up more! Way to go, Toyota, and keep it up!
Old 05-08-12, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

How many disappointing commentaries and stories does Honda need to hear before getting the message and changing their (design) ways? This is the same old story we've been reading for eight years. If Honda didn't get the message three years into their spiral, they will certainly not be getting the message eight years later. Kiss all hope goodbye. Their managers and CEO are doing business for the planet Pluto instead of here.
Old 05-08-12, 03:03 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honda just doesn't make cars like they used to. They fell off big time and don't seem to be giving a damn. The brand as a whole is just so boring now and most people would rather own an older Honda then go for a new one. If they don't fix their problems soon, Hyundai will gladly claim Honda's spot.
Old 05-08-12, 06:22 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All the other companies are buiilding much better vehicles because of the stiff competition around them. Honda is still in that old philosophy where a drop of water will ripple accross the pond. well everyone else is dropping sticks of dynamite. time to change gears Honda.
Old 05-08-12, 06:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incentives are never good, but the Camry, Prius family and Yaris are their only new cars right now. Corolla, Rav4, Avalon, Sequoia, and Tundra are old, and the 4Runner and Sienna have been around for a year or so, but still sell solidly. Not sure if I'd consider the Tacoma "new". As a car ages, more incentives are typically piled on to entice the deal, so I am not really surprised at Toyota's spending here.

When the new Corolla and Rav4 land, it will be a good time for Toyota
Old 05-08-12, 06:34 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
How many disappointing commentaries and stories does Honda need to hear before getting the message and changing their (design) ways? This is the same old story we've been reading for eight years. If Honda didn't get the message three years into their spiral, they will certainly not be getting the message eight years later. Kiss all hope goodbye. Their managers and CEO are doing business for the planet Pluto instead of here.
Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Honda just doesn't make cars like they used to. They fell off big time and don't seem to be giving a damn. The brand as a whole is just so boring now and most people would rather own an older Honda then go for a new one. If they don't fix their problems soon, Hyundai will gladly claim Honda's spot.
Preaching to the choir.
Old 05-08-12, 08:48 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Honda needs to add some spark to their image by reviving the Prelude and S2000, and get the NSX here ASAP. When the CRZ first came out, a salesman at my Honda dealership asked if I was interested in trading in my GPW S2000 for "this quick new hybrid." I looked at him and said, "Are you kidding me? That thing is ugly as hell." He didn't try to argue lol.
Old 05-08-12, 08:56 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don’t think Toyota is doing anything special to get old Honda customers other than hybrids. I think it mostly have something to do with stiff competition and that people no longer find Honda vehicles attractive and special. Toyota has won people heart with reliability and comfort. Toyota is always going to out sell Honda. Honda makes no way near the amount models Toyota does. Toyota should be compare to GM and Ford. Honda is a niche Vehicle Company.
Old 05-08-12, 09:05 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

cliff notes: time for a prius; go toyota!
Old 05-08-12, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"Toyota is back, and all the way back in just four months," said TrueCar.com analyst Jesse Toprak. "Meanwhile, Honda may be discovering that some of its 2011 losses are permanent."
As I see it, though, Honda seems to be, more or less, at the same place now that Toyota was a couple of years ago, when Toyota execs admitted their cost-cutting and over-expansion mistakes and pledged to do better. Judging by the very latest crop of new Toyota models, they seem to be following through on that new commitment. Honda execs, similiarly, have admitted that they have also made recent mistakes (styling, material cost-cutting, decontenting, fit/finish, etc......) and have similiarly pledged to do better. Time will tell whether Honda's downturn is actually permanent.....but, given how well the company did in the marketplace for so many years, I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 09:17 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I feel Honda has improved a lot. As a current CRV owner I'm impressed by it and the paint quality seems a lot better than my 65k M3.
Old 05-08-12, 09:39 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I see it, though, Honda seems to be, more or less, at the same place now that Toyota was a couple of years ago, when Toyota execs admitted their cost-cutting ad over-expansion mistakes and pledged to do better. Judging by the very latest crop of new Toyota models, they seem to be following through on that new commitment. Honda execs, similiarly, have admitted that they have also made recent mistakes (styling, material cost-cutting, decontenting, fit/finish, etc......) and have similiarly pledged to do better. Time will tell whether Honda's downturn is actually permanent.....but, given how well the company did in the marketplace for so many years, I wouldn't bet on it.
The Civic was a bad start. But they will slightly refresh it on this next year's model, which tells a lot about their commitment.

The new CRV is completely dominating its segment.

So this new Accord is HUGE.

But I think the problem is they need to cut out cars that aren't selling (Crossturd, CRZ, Insight) and get down to the nitty gritty of bringing out new cars, esp. for the enthusiasts. Their Big 3 seller (Accord/CRV/Civic ultimately will most likely always be top 2 at the end of the year when all said and done) but they need other cars to attract newer customers. And that's not happening right now.

And let's see how the new ILX sells for Acura. It's an attractive car, but seems out of place in the luxury market. And I actually love the RLX concept.

They're at a better place now than they were last year. Again, it's all about the new Accord. It will either give them momentum, or push them back a few more years.

Quick Reply: While Toyota shakes off 2-year turmoil, it's a different story at Honda