Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Woman sued for sending text message to driver who crashed

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Woman sued for sending text message to driver who crashed

Woman sued for sending text message to driver who crashed

Hiring a lawyer is like hiring a hitman. Except it's not against the law. A lawyer's job is to exert your will on your legal opponent – and on the legal system itself. So it should come as no surprise to see this evolution of distracted driving case law: The victims of a traffic accident have filed a lawsuit against both the motorist and the woman he was texting with when he caused the crash, according to the Huffington Post.

Let's just state for the record that we have no horse in this race, which is not unlike any other personal injury suit in which the plaintiff's attorney rounds up anyone and everyone that might be named as a defendant. The difference here, however, is that this is the first time we're aware of someone being accused of being an accomplice to the breaking of distracted driving laws and causing a crash without even being in the car.

The driver, Kyle Best, a 19-year-old at the time of the accident, has already pled guilty to three violations of New Jersey law, including using a mobile phone while driving, careless driving, and leaving his lane, according to the report. Best hit a couple on a motorcycle with his pickup truck, resulting in both the man and woman losing their left legs. At the time, Best was exchanging text messages with Shannon Colonna, according to phone records.

The couple's lawyer is arguing that Colonna knew she was texting Best while he was driving, and that her behavior is no different than if she had been having a conversation with him in the car, according to the report. Her attorney, however, maintains that she can't be liable for the driver's decision to read the text when it was not safe to do so and that she did not realize the dangers of texting while driving. The judge in the case is expected to decide whether Colonna can be included in the suit on May 25, according to the report.

Certainly this case is a complicated one, and could have broad ramifications on distracted driving lawsuits as well as further legislation on the issue. If the plaintiffs' attorney is successful in bringing the texting woman into the suit, we can certainly expect that lawyers in other states which have texting bans will follow their lead.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/09/w...r-who-crashed/
Old 05-09-12, 07:19 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

She had NOTHING to do with it. He could have been texting the judge for all that they're concerned. He is the guilty party 100%. Whomever he was texting is in no way, shape, or form liable, nor should they be. This is just reaching out for more people to sue. If I were the judge in this scenario I would tell them to back down on pursuing the girl as she had nothing to do with his reckless driving.
Old 05-09-12, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

everyday stupid things like this make me weep for humanity
Old 05-09-12, 11:06 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Amen... what annoys me is why is the judge having to deliberate on this? Just throw the motion out. Even if she knew its not like she made the driver read the text message. Thats like someone suing the author of a book, after a driver was reading while driving. A bit of a reach but still... stupidity. Shame on that lawyer by the way.
Old 05-10-12, 07:44 AM
LexFather

Wow I had to read this like 3 times b/c that is ridiculous

Old 05-10-12, 08:15 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is absurd....
Old 05-10-12, 08:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why doesn't she sue cell phone companies and car companies instead?

She'll get more money out of it...
Old 05-10-12, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And the fact that the court system are too soft to even allow idiotic lawsuits like these.
They should make the person liable for filing and lawyers for representing petty lawsuits

I guess this is one way to keep everyone busy???
Old 05-10-12, 09:38 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, talk about frivolous lawsuits. What's disturbing to me is that the stupid judge has to think about it. As we know, anyone can sue anyone over anything. It's up to the judge to decide whether it's valid or not.

So this means if I decide to ogle some hootchie mama on the sidewalk because of her outfit and I ram into the car in front of me because I took my eyes off the road, she can be sued too? This is ridiculous.

The couple's lawyer is arguing that Colonna knew she was texting Best while he was driving, and that her behavior is no different than if she had been having a conversation with him in the car, according to the report.
And when is having a conversation in the car illegal? The person behind the wheel is ultimately responsible. Sounds like the victims just trying to sue anyone and everyone. I feel for the victims, but this kind of crap really pushes the limits.

Last edited by T0ked; 05-10-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-10-12, 09:44 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What the motorcycle riders went through sucks, but suing the person that was texting the driver is ridiculous.
Old 05-10-12, 10:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blame everyone else for your actions and not yourself. What a shame.
Old 05-10-12, 12:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I cant even believe how ridiculous this is. I am blown away
Old 05-10-12, 02:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

This is ridiculous. They should go after the driver for everything he is worth and more, but not the girl he was texting. What's next? A lawsuit against the maker of his car for not having a device that jams all cell phone communications? We've become a society that seeks to shift responsibility for everything onto somebody else.
Old 05-10-12, 03:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Disbar the f__ing lawyer that filed the lawsuit and suspend him by his ********* from the Empire State building.
Old 05-10-12, 03:29 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
Blame everyone else for your actions and not yourself. What a shame.
America, the land of opportunity to pass blame.

Originally Posted by Och
Disbar the f__ing lawyer that filed the lawsuit and suspend him by his ********* from the Empire State building.
There would and should be many in that situation. Just like the attorney who initiated the suit for a driver who was found to have been the cause of a collision. Police report verified who was at fault. The errant party and attorney are seeking damages from the innocent party.