Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Volkswagen Golf R

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 07:01 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll chime in since I own one. I'm not a VW fanboy but I do like some VAG cars, that being said I grew up on Japanese cars and consider myself make-tolerant.

For 36k you get a near-lux interior and amenities.
You get 267hp/258tq, it's not detuned I think they just said this so that they wouldn't be stepping on Audi's feet. The dyno charts match EU dynos.
You get AWD, the MS3 wasn't even a thought on my car list, I didn't even consider the GTI since it's run of the mill and I really don't like the front end with the fogs and I really didn't want FWD.
The WRX/STI weren't on my list because they don't come in 2 door. And I probably would've chosen the Golf R anyway because of the creature comforts and near-lux interior. As for the power, yes it doesn't make as much as an STI at the same price, however a quick tune changes that. On strictly software I dyno'd 266hp/272tq to the wheels.
I have a car that's a little bit more rare, and to me that's important to stand out a bit.

As for the negatives, yea we didn't get the LED tails (I'm buying them eventually). We don't get a DSG option (but I wanted a manual so that is fine), we don't get the electronic dampening suspension, we don't get the option for 19 inch wheels (in black with black headlamp housings, all part of the 19 inch package) and we don't get the option for the Recaro bucket seats.
And yea I'll probably still get the snot beat out of me in a straight line race against modded WRXs and STIs.
Old 05-14-12, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I'll chime in since I own one. I'm not a VW fanboy but I do like some VAG cars, that being said I grew up on Japanese cars and consider myself make-tolerant.

For 36k you get a near-lux interior and amenities.
You get 267hp/258tq, it's not detuned I think they just said this so that they wouldn't be stepping on Audi's feet. The dyno charts match EU dynos.
You get AWD, the MS3 wasn't even a thought on my car list, I didn't even consider the GTI since it's run of the mill and I really don't like the front end with the fogs and I really didn't want FWD.
The WRX/STI weren't on my list because they don't come in 2 door. And I probably would've chosen the Golf R anyway because of the creature comforts and near-lux interior. As for the power, yes it doesn't make as much as an STI at the same price, however a quick tune changes that. On strictly software I dyno'd 266hp/272tq to the wheels.
I have a car that's a little bit more rare, and to me that's important to stand out a bit.

As for the negatives, yea we didn't get the LED tails (I'm buying them eventually). We don't get a DSG option (but I wanted a manual so that is fine), we don't get the electronic dampening suspension, we don't get the option for 19 inch wheels (in black with black headlamp housings, all part of the 19 inch package) and we don't get the option for the Recaro bucket seats.
And yea I'll probably still get the snot beat out of me in a straight line race against modded WRXs and STIs.
Point is you like the car though, and it was for the most part catered the way you wanted that it stood out against the rest