Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reliability of Decade Old BMWs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-12, 01:26 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of Decade Old BMWs

I used to own an '02 530i, and I want to say that the reliability is bad, but then again, the car that I purchased could've been defective from the start (and/or improper maintenance at the time :[)

I know I can ask this same question in a BMW forum, but I've noticed that those forums are bit close-minded towards other brands, and will practically praise any BMW.

Anyway, I'm looking at some older BMWs, '00-'03 models of 330i, 530/540i, and even 7 series; and I'm wondering if anyone here has owned any of these models and their experience with them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-11-12, 02:02 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For what it's worth, my old boss had a 2002 BMW 5 series (manual) that he said he would never sell because at 160k all it ever had done was scheduled maintenance and replacement of standard wear and tear items (brakes, tires, etc) I used to drive in it and damn it did not feel old at all at 160k. Would have easily passed for a lot less mileage based on how it drove and felt on the road. Shifted through gears flawlessly and still had that BMW performance feel.

I would never own an old 7 series. I hear they are nightmares when it comes to repair costs lol.
Old 05-11-12, 02:25 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Impressive.

I guess I'll take the 7 series off my list of potential cars, what about a 3 series?

I'm thinking of going back to a 530i, I see one listed for under $11k with 65k miles, great condition, and 1 owner.

My credit score is great again, but I think the only thing that will prevent them from financing me a car is me not having a job right now (been looking for 2 months, no luck). Maybe if my dad cosigned, it'd be fine?
Old 05-11-12, 02:42 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Impressive.

I guess I'll take the 7 series off my list of potential cars, what about a 3 series?

I'm thinking of going back to a 530i, I see one listed for under $11k with 65k miles, great condition, and 1 owner.

My credit score is great again, but I think the only thing that will prevent them from financing me a car is me not having a job right now (been looking for 2 months, no luck). Maybe if my dad cosigned, it'd be fine?
Don't really know anyone who has a 2000+ 3 series. Know plenty of people with the 06+ models. Fuel pump is the most common complaint among them (335i's at least)

I recommend against financing an older car like that, especially a BMW. You'll probably always owe more on the loan then the car is worth...not a situation I recommend anyone put themselves into.
And yeah not having a job will almost definitely mean you wont get approved for a loan, even with a cosigner. Even if you did get approved, the interest rate would be terrible lol.
Old 05-11-12, 02:57 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Damn, guess I gotta continue the pursuit of finding a job. I've applied to well over a dozen places, and nothings happening. :/
Old 05-11-12, 04:27 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

A friend of mine just picked up an old E39 530i, and I think he also still owns an E46 330Ci that he uses for autox. BMWs "can" be reliable cars. Usually it's all of the optional junk that you don't really need that goes wrong. Saying that, my 2011 335i just needed a new left muffler for $900, but it's under warranty (the variable actuator flap went bad and started creating a huge racket). The rule of thumb for old BMWs still applies, that you'll need about $200/mo to keep an out of warranty one on the road. Tends to come in $1000 or so chunks once or twice per year.
Old 05-11-12, 05:27 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

I've had my 2000 323i for 12 years now, and it's been the best car I've ever dealt with (personally owned, or friends/family). $5k in total repairs/maintenance over those 12 years, including tires, brakes, oil changes, wiper blades, the works. My wife goes in early to work, and often winds up parking next to a guy who has the exact same car I do, whose experience has been similar. He says he'll NEVER get rid of his. I'm only looking to keep mine another 2-3 years.

As with any used car, it's a crapshoot whether it's had systemic problems or been maintained poorly. But they certainly can be great cars. Check to see if the rear subframe fix has been done--if it hasn't, get it inspected before you buy. This is a known defect that can be an expensive repair, but is not always necessary (mine's still in perfect condition).
Old 05-11-12, 05:48 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on Killa's 335i comment. I would not recommend a Series 3 335i... I owned an "ordered new" 2009 E93 and the HPFP with related items were a problem from month 2. Three replacements over a 2-year period, multiple occasions of limp mode, and poor customer service on top of those challenges. While it was the best driving vehicle I've ever owned, and despite it being under warranty and my having purchased a solid extended warranty beyond that "just in case" (I keep my vehicles 6-8 years on avg), I sold my beloved convertible this past Fall when I could no longer trust it's reliability for out of town jaunts, and will never be back to BMW as a result.
Old 05-11-12, 07:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a buddy has a 04 545i and has had a lot of issues....

go over to bimmerforums for tons more info on reliability....

this isn't his car but another example....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1410461
Old 05-11-12, 07:37 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Damn, guess I gotta continue the pursuit of finding a job. I've applied to well over a dozen places, and nothings happening. :/
Financing a car like this is a big no no, Plus I do not want to be a downer but since you still in the process of finding a job I recommend you get an older Japanese vehicle like a Honda CIvic or Toyota Corolla. This is a safer bet until you get up on your feet.

I would never take out a loan for a 10 year old german car in the process of looking for a job. That is not smart IMO. Once you get up on your feet then you can possibly buy a more expensive vehicle.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-12, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

since you don't currently have a job, and it seems like funds are pretty tight, i think you should hold off on buying anything.
Old 05-11-12, 09:21 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all your input guys.

I got a question, how long is the minimum that a person has to have a job before a dealership trusts you? Is it at least 1 year? 6 months? 3 months?

I different option I was thinking of was leasing a new camry. If/when I get a job, saving $2k would take about 4-6 months, and the payments are $229 (current promotion); not sure what they'll be offering in the future.
Old 05-11-12, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
since you don't currently have a job, and it seems like funds are pretty tight, i think you should hold off on buying anything.
I lost it

Old 05-11-12, 09:55 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 738 Likes on 509 Posts

What's wrong with your car right now?
Old 05-11-12, 10:04 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all your input guys.

I got a question, how long is the minimum that a person has to have a job before a dealership trusts you? Is it at least 1 year? 6 months? 3 months?

I different option I was thinking of was leasing a new camry. If/when I get a job, saving $2k would take about 4-6 months, and the payments are $229 (current promotion); not sure what they'll be offering in the future.
Usually they want to show steady income or you get a 20 something % rate... Im assuming that you currently have your consumer debt under control? A car is a HUGE waste of money if you do not have income. Think about insurance payments(you can't just have liability when you have a loan on a car) and gas, even prior to any repairs. Then add the intial cost of the car. If you have money saved, you might want to secure a job prior to spending it on a ride. If you need transportation to go job looking, I would recommend public transportation.
While I was in school, my Cadillac broke down and I couldn't afford to fix it and it was the best thing that happened to me. I saved up and finished school and bought my Lexus straight cash and can't believe how much money I saved without having to take a loan.

Quick Reply: Reliability of Decade Old BMWs