Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what is the appeal of a gray interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:54 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. I'm sure you remember some of the triple-color interiors of the mid-late 1950s. Here's one from a 1960 Impala.

Like I said red pops^^... however it happens to be my favorite color.
Really lets all be honest here if you don't like an interior in your vechicle your not stuck. There are places you can go and get them done to your liking. You just have to pay to play folks. Hell you can even get seat covers for cheap... I think these look CHEAP and would never do this in my ride, but if it keeps away the suicidal tendencies Im all about saving lives.
Old 05-14-12, 12:05 PM
LexFather

I like the new light gray compared to the older 1990s greys. I looked hard for black/grey leather interior for my GS 430 since most are either black/black or black/tan.

I like the blackwood with the grey leather.

Old 05-14-12, 08:52 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A little contrast goes a long way. This member changed out his Ash carpets to black. World of difference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ictures-2.html

Old 05-14-12, 09:42 PM
LexFather

^^^ Wow he replaced the carpets not just the mats. Its great.

Old 05-14-12, 11:53 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that actually looks really good ^^^^^^^^
Old 05-15-12, 08:08 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a ton of work. I have the Ash interior and just changed to black OEM mats, has the same effect. I'll try to take some pics when i get the chance.
Old 05-15-12, 08:30 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
I despise Gray and tan interiors. Usually black interiors is a must for me when car shopping.
i use to love tan, but after having kids, black interior is a must. whats up mr rkyat
Old 05-15-12, 11:26 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LS ash gray can pull off pretty nice, especially with the black wood, but I still wouldn't get it. One of the reason I didn't go for the 2010 LS460L I was looking at was because it has gray interior.

I love the Ecru interior in my previous LS430 UL though, but it's impossible not leaving marks on the leather.
Old 05-15-12, 09:20 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
From a designer's standpoint, light colors make the interior feel more roomy. A black interior, in addition to being an oven in the summertime (in hot climates), appears claustrophobic to many people. I've had interiors ranging from pure white (beautiful, but a detailer's nightmare) to totally black, and trust me, getting into a black seat in high summer in board shorts can leave a lasting impression. I understand the desire to look cool with blackonblackonblack, but it works only if you're an Emo kid or Batman. At some point you have to stop following the herd and break out with an actual style of your own. You have to pair interior and exterior colors and trim to certain basics. Here are a few, strictly of my own.

For the most part, black and white are not colors - for most designers they represent a lack of imagination. An arctic white car that doesn't have a hint of yellow or cream tint looks like a kitchen appliance. About the only salvation for "refrigerator white" is a bright red or blue interior with metallic accents that can really set it off. Black is what you choose when you have no choice or no color vision.

Think about it. Dress your car as you might dress yourself. Be aware of contrasting and complementary colors. A navy blue blazer looks well with grey or khaki slacks, not so much with black or brown trousers. Most manufacturers won't let you go too far astray, but then there are a few . . . like Nissan's infamous "saddle" tan that was developed by their French designers who never saw a saddle. That orange appears only on basketballs, not riding tack, and it never paired well with ANY exterior color.

Light tan interiors (particularly with maple wood trim) look rich and roomy, while being somewhat kinder to the behinder. They will pair well with any warm color, particularly pearl white, and can look nice with some blues and dark reds. They will not pair with cool colors like grey or some blues. Try to stay in the same color family - warm vs. cool colors.

A pearl grey interior can be classy, particularly paired with a dark blue exterior, but any shade of blue will do. You have to be aware that grey can be either "warm" (tending toward tan) or "cool" (tending toward blueish) before selecting a particular color. Generally, a warm exterior needs a warm interior color, but these rules can occasionally be broken - if you are careful.

You are kind of stuck with a black interior if you insist on a grey (silver, metallic, or "tungsten") exterior. Here a grey interior looks like a try for a monochromatic look that missed. Not the best choice, because you look like 95% of the other cars on the road. IMHO these cars usually look like they are in primer.

We like our interior all black, coupled with tinted windows, as is is soothing to our eyes in driving on a bright sunny day. It's like looking out a window from a dark room, all your attention is outside, not inside. It's kinda distracting for me to have contrasting interior colors. I don't recall going to a movie theater with the all other lights on so you can appreciate the chair or the floor's color. Having a dark interior helps in keeping my attention outside. During summer, using a sunshade helps with the heat while parked.

if we're gonna talk about temperatures, I can ask the same as to why there are no fabric seat options unless you have the car built. Fabric is more comfortable than leather temperature wise, and less maintenance. Would you sleep on a bed or use a blanket that's made of leather?

Also, I'm an Emo Batman.

Last edited by happy1977; 05-15-12 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-30-12, 04:42 PM
Bearbrooke
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this interior such a nice refreshing change from black on black, silver on gray etc...
Old 12-30-12, 09:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
I've owned a few grey interiors. Very sterile looking. But I think it depends on the monotony of the grey surfaces. Some manufacturers do well with it by having contrasting black dashes, carpets, upper door panels, arm rests, etc.
This, grey interiors can look good if they have some contrast to them. We have an old 2000 Avalon, silver paint with the grey cloth interior. I actually like the interior because the upper dash is a dark grey, lower dash is lighter grey, the grey cloth has kind of a busy, contrasting fleck pattern to it that breaks up the monotony. That being said, I HATE that same car with the grey leather interior. It looks so dull and boring without that interesting pattern to kind of break up the monotony.

Grey is never my first choice for an interior color, so many manufacturers screw it up(on both expensive and cheap cars) and make it look like an office cubicle.

As for the guy who changed out his ugly monotone, easily stained light grey carpets for black, that makes a world of difference. Lexus used that same trick back in the 90's, my 1992 SC300 has the light tan interior, with almost white carpets. The mats are a nice medium brown color that hides dirts/stains, a very nice contrast that looks great with the other brown tones on the dash and isn't a total PITA to keep clean.

Also, since nobody has mentioned it, the dark blue leather interior on my 1991 Caddy Brougham D'Elegance was a very calming color, looked awesome with the navy blue paint and top.