Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus making new supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:38 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus making new supercar?

Saw this and thought others might find interesting....

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/are-p...supercar-works
Old 05-14-12, 12:34 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't screw this one up!
Old 05-14-12, 12:39 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

All speculation at this point. Every car manufacture has some kind of high performance car in the works.

I used to be a vendor for Calty Design Research based in Newport Beach, CA, and they're one of the design houses for Toyota (the CT200 came from there). I've seen SO MANY renderings and clay models and stuff of so many cars, it's all speculation. I've seen a few Toyota "Supra" cars as well...will they make it, who knows.

The CT200, I saw something similar to that car over 5 years ago...they refined it, changed this and that, then here it is....

I think if Lexus wants to make a big appeal...they need to do with Nissan did and build a Godzilla of their own in the same price range...that will get people talking and buying. Imagine if you have a Ferrari F430 or a Lambo Gallardo...and a GT-R pulls up to you...you'd be afraid of what he's got under the hood!
Old 05-14-12, 12:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Just F Me
All speculation at this point. Every car manufacture has some kind of high performance car in the works.

I used to be a vendor for Calty Design Research based in Newport Beach, CA, and they're one of the design houses for Toyota (the CT200 came from there). I've seen SO MANY renderings and clay models and stuff of so many cars, it's all speculation. I've seen a few Toyota "Supra" cars as well...will they make it, who knows.

The CT200, I saw something similar to that car over 5 years ago...they refined it, changed this and that, then here it is....

I think if Lexus wants to make a big appeal...they need to do with Nissan did and build a Godzilla of their own in the same price range...that will get people talking and buying. Imagine if you have a Ferrari F430 or a Lambo Gallardo...and a GT-R pulls up to you...you'd be afraid of what he's got under the hood!
Can't imagine that, but we know the result already.
Old 05-14-12, 01:29 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about a supercar but this weekend I got my car serviced at Lexus of Route 10 (Thanks Marc!) and they had a framed article explaining the possible release of the LF-LC in 2014 at the earliest. Rumor has it that the price is somewhere in the vicinity of the GTR.......then again it's all speculation. They are following the fad (that I believe Tesla and Fisker started) of building a 400+ HP hybrid in the LF-LC.

I wish I had the article on the wall as a PDF...
Old 05-14-12, 01:54 PM
mcauley
Pit Crew

If they made a gtr powered /priced car it would be good but Toyota would lock the ecu.
I think they should make a alloy lfa call it a supra slap a 450 bhp isf engine make her below 1400 kg it would be a great car worth 70-80 k
Old 05-14-12, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

this sounds like the rumor mill from the other thread about "LFAII"
Old 05-14-12, 06:05 PM
LexFather

I keep hearing it is true though.....expect sportier cars, more coupes and a LFA II....

Old 05-15-12, 07:44 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to follow Nissan. They should have marketed the GT-R as an Infiniti to begin with so they would have something of a halo car right now. An $80k supra makes no sense. The next supra should be in the $30-40k range.

Lexus just needs to bring back a proper 2 door, 2+2, GT again. Beautiful, luxurious, fast.
Old 05-15-12, 09:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by T0ked
No need to follow Nissan. They should have marketed the GT-R as an Infiniti to begin with so they would have something of a halo car right now. An $80k supra makes no sense. The next supra should be in the $30-40k range.

Lexus just needs to bring back a proper 2 door, 2+2, GT again. Beautiful, luxurious, fast.
Exactly. If Lexus wants to build extreme high level exotics why the hell would I tell them to make a lesser car? I want them to build the best they can build with the very best on the planet. Then hopefully the halo drops down like to the upcoming LF LC coupe...

The GT-R is an anomaly. Rare best, amazing performance, amazing price. Its going to be very hard to match that so why try to have your "Lexus" match a "Nissan"? No one else is trying.

It has always been Supra/NSX/GT-R fighting in the past so Toyota needs to make a Supra to fight the GT-R.

Old 05-15-12, 09:32 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I'm wondering about the LFA halo effect is when that cool LCD instrument panel will filter down to other Lexus models. I know the LS already has a TFT display, but not a full one like the LFA. Maybe in the next LS or the GS-F? Or how about those transparent OLEDs making it into the production LF-LC?
Old 08-21-12, 02:33 AM
LexFather

Lexus seems to be real happy with Thr way the LFA has gotten the brand positive press.

Old 08-21-12, 02:59 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T0ked

I agree with the non-need to follow nissan but i see no way the next supra, if there is one, to be in the 30k-40k range. We got used MKIV already floating in the range. With the technology/speed in the gtr i dont see how they wont market it near or close to the GT-R range.