Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why your next car may not come with a CD player

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 01:19 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I rarely listen to music stored on my iPhone or even cd's and such. Most everything I listen to now is internet radio via Pandora, tune-in, and other popular apps on my phone. If I ever want to listen to a certain song instantly I YouTube it.
Although, I must admit that the Bluetooth streaming quality is ****. Too much static and some random cutoffs from interference's.
Really? Because all the Bluetooth streaming i've heard in cars is pretty clear. It's not CD quality, but its definitely clear and never heard any interference. Shouldn't be getting static and random cut-offs.
Old 05-16-12, 01:23 PM
PDubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great idea; make room for something else or remove the weight entirely. I don't understand why my 05 GX has a factory cassette player in it when that was phased out with other 2003 non-Lexus vehicles that have passed through my garage.
Old 05-16-12, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubs
This is a great idea; make room for something else or remove the weight entirely. I don't understand why my 05 GX has a factory cassette player in it when that was phased out with other 2003 non-Lexus vehicles that have passed through my garage.
05 gx? ask about 09 gs.... that was a complete mystery to me
Old 05-16-12, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
[B][CENTER][SIZE="5"]
Michael Arbaugh, chief designer of Ford interiors, describes center console space as "oceanfront property" – already fully populated, with more tenants trying to move in every year. Speaking to the Automotive Press Association in Detroit, Arbaugh said one tenant he'd like to evict is the CD player because it's dead weight for audio Luddites.
I'd say keep the CD-players and toss the joystick/video-screen stuff like I-Drive, MMI, Mercedes-Command, Sync/MyTouch, etc.....

I got a lot of old CDs I enjoy listening to, especially 70s Rock and 80s Heavy-Metal. But I find I-Drive/MMI-typs systems to be little more than a PITA.

On the surface at least, I may sound selfish by saying this (thinking only of myself), but I'm pretty sure that my opinion here is not alone.
Old 05-16-12, 07:06 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For now, I appreciate having at least a single CD or DVD slot in my dash, even though I keep a Classic iPod with more than 700 albums plugged into my iPod-capable cars all the time. My 2006 RX400h has cassette which I have never used once in 7 years, but sure did use the 6-CD autochanger for the first several years. I've probably only used the autochanger twice a year on road trips the past three years or so, and that's only because the RX does not have iPod capability. My new RX will have iPod connectivity, so I expect the single CD/DVD player will only be used a few times a year when sharing tunes with family and friends on road trips. Within another few years, well, I'll be fine without it too. Life moves on, but don't take my single CD player quite yet please!
Old 05-16-12, 09:50 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I much prefer CDs over iPods or other common audio sources in term of sound quality. It's too much work to find lossless audio files and download them to my iPod. CD is much simpler and cleaner sounding.
Old 05-16-12, 09:55 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I think the cd in my car right now is the same one i put it the first week i bought my car. (Apr 2011) Ever since then i've used the USB port or aux port.
Old 05-16-12, 11:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

since CD sales still overtake download sales of music, worldwide, i very much doubt they will lose the CD. I hope they will not, because only good reason for them would be cost cutting.
Old 05-17-12, 01:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the deletion of the optical disc will come sooner or later................but I think it's too soon to delete it now.

For instance, there are rumors that the next Macbook Pro will not have an optical drive anymore. Sure that's good for weight reduction and all.......BUT remember that there are those who still use optical discs (even in the age of Ipod, mp3 players, usb, etc.)

For instance:
1) Some teachers/professors in the academe still ask for CD/DVD hard copies of academic work
2) Game vendors still sell optical discs (i.e. so how are you going to install Diablo 3 on your MBP without an optical drive? External optical drive? That's a big step back)

Oh and personally, for areas with sub-par internet connection, downloading huge files (i.e. whole games) is still not an option.

So in a sense, it will happen.............but I don't think it should happen immediately. You'd have to wait for people's habits and preferences to change gradually.........and not to instill or force change against them.
Old 05-17-12, 05:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
since CD sales still overtake download sales of music, worldwide, i very much doubt they will lose the CD. I hope they will not, because only good reason for them would be cost cutting.
I doubt this is the case, but can find no evidence one way or the other. In the US, digital sales exceed CD sales, with digital increasing by 8.4% per year, while CD sales drop 5% per year.

Factor in the frequency with which people rip CDs to a digital format, or acquire digital music in other forms--illegal downloads/file sharing, plus legitimate services like Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc, none of which are counted in these sales figures--and it's safe to say the overwhelming majority of music consumption today occurs in a non-physical format.
Old 05-17-12, 10:53 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Really? Because all the Bluetooth streaming i've heard in cars is pretty clear. It's not CD quality, but its definitely clear and never heard any interference. Shouldn't be getting static and random cut-offs.
Usually it is pretty good. You have to be really picky like me to notice some things. For ex. in between songs or blank areas the static can be heard especially when the volume is pretty high. An example of the cutoffs might be driving next to some shopping area and it cuts-off for a few seconds (I want to say it is because of the sliding doors at some places but I can't confirm it), also when a use a 3rd party garage opener it tends to happen as well. Don't get me wrong it is a very great system and use it 95% of the time.
Old 05-19-12, 02:35 AM
LexFather

Yeah Bluetooth streaming is awesome in cars

Old 05-19-12, 03:40 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If they remove CD Players, I'm guessing that'll eventually put 'aftermarket' installation shops in a bind. CD's though are becoming an antiquated technology and times are moving towards a more digital approach to storage for media.
Old 05-19-12, 06:46 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Guys, dont forget that the tape deck was standard equipment in lexus just a few years ago... And this is how many years after the tape format was considered dead? in other words the CD frmat will be with us for quite a few years...
Old 05-19-12, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I doubt this is the case, but can find no evidence one way or the other. In the US, digital sales exceed CD sales, with digital increasing by 8.4% per year, while CD sales drop 5% per year.

Factor in the frequency with which people rip CDs to a digital format, or acquire digital music in other forms--illegal downloads/file sharing, plus legitimate services like Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, etc, none of which are counted in these sales figures--and it's safe to say the overwhelming majority of music consumption today occurs in a non-physical format.
In US, digital overtook physical only this year, while worldwide, digital sales of any goods are much lower.

and now everyone wants them to cut off the cd? thats just dumb... hey, they want to do it since it will save them few bucks per vehicle, it is just not good for us.

Quick Reply: Why your next car may not come with a CD player