Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big 3 w/Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-12, 11:13 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Let me give you a inside scoop. Lets just say I know someone who has worked at a MAJOR chrysler plant.

The big mistake is 1.Union. They pay gang bangers and crack heads 17.00 + a hour not mentioning overtime. I swear about 3/4 people were in gangs or did crack.
2. These vary people do not care about the company. They get instructed to install a part one way, and do to laziness or pure stupidness lol they do the opposite.
3. Highly inter racial workplace. No mexicans, just 50/50 blacks and whites. You can see how this may not prove the best way to make cars or team people.
4. They could pay these people 10.00 a hour with no benefits and everything would be fine.

If I ran that place, I would fire about 90% of the people on the factory floor. Drug tests, alcohol tests, every fricking day. I do not trust jamal the latin king crack head installing my Body control module and not grounding the ground wire properly.
The very definition of trolling. Car Chat here on CL is not the place to spread your misguided ignorance. Not only is your rant off topic....It's highly offensive and inaccurate portrayal to many of the hard working people at Chrysler plants. There are drug addicts and low lives at every job, whether it be the private or public sector. Your blanket generalization of union plant workers in Detroit or any other city has nothing whatsoever to do with Toyota or any of the American Big 3 companies. The "Jamal Latin King crackhead" comment speaks volumes about you and people who share your warped thinking. Please let us stay on topic and not turn this into one the other garbage auto forums where people spew hate or make ridiculous threats while speaking with anonymity from their keyboards......

That said, I find this to be an interesting post as I was having this discussion with a neighbor of mine a few weeks back. Given Toyota's huge influence on the American landscape, be it due to many assembly plants here or just the fact that 1 in 7 cars seems to be a Toyota on American roads. Not only was I shocked to see Toyota break into NASCAR several years back, It's still amazing to see some govt agencies use them along with NYPD. Though Toyota will forever be viewed as a Japanese company, I could seen how one could argue that Toyota has cracked the big 3 here in the states especially with Chrysler's decline and foreign partnership/ownership. Good Post
Old 05-24-12, 09:11 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
The very definition of trolling. Car Chat here on CL is not the place to spread your misguided ignorance. Not only is your rant off topic....It's highly offensive and inaccurate portrayal to many of the hard working people at Chrysler plants. There are drug addicts and low lives at every job, whether it be the private or public sector. Your blanket generalization of union plant workers in Detroit or any other city has nothing whatsoever to do with Toyota or any of the American Big 3 companies. The "Jamal Latin King crackhead" comment speaks volumes about you and people who share your warped thinking. Please let us stay on topic and not turn this into one the other garbage auto forums where people spew hate or make ridiculous threats while speaking with anonymity from their keyboards......

That said, I find this to be an interesting post as I was having this discussion with a neighbor of mine a few weeks back. Given Toyota's huge influence on the American landscape, be it due to many assembly plants here or just the fact that 1 in 7 cars seems to be a Toyota on American roads. Not only was I shocked to see Toyota break into NASCAR several years back, It's still amazing to see some govt agencies use them along with NYPD. Though Toyota will forever be viewed as a Japanese company, I could seen how one could argue that Toyota has cracked the big 3 here in the states especially with Chrysler's decline and foreign partnership/ownership. Good Post
I worked there. I was part of the union. No NOT IN DETROIT god for bid.I don't need to hear your bull crap. That is actually not me ranting, I am not racist. It is a generalization of what I went through working at that place. Would I work there again YES, do I think the plant could do better YES, when you take some business classes you will understand, that when you mix cultures not very much gets done especially when they usually don't get along with each other. As a matter of fact, I am not white, so I would hear what all the blacks, and the very small minority of mexicans thought on the subject. TO make things better I am mixed so I also talked to the white people and they said the same thing. They pretty much inside dislike each other. I just assumed if you got rid of this problem and the drugs that the plant would be more productive. If I ran it, from a business perspective I would not mix blacks, whites, mexicans. Its like putting a guy that doesn't speak english with someone that does and expect them to be very productive.

You act like hiring drug addicts is something desired. Its like you are offended by me mentioning that. Do you have a past that involves this?

My post is to show why I feel chrysler is really going to take another crap. Poor quality, poor workmanship.Unions.

Last edited by g4ebguy90; 05-24-12 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 05:33 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
I worked there. I was part of the union. No NOT IN DETROIT god for bid.I don't need to hear your bull crap. That is actually not me ranting, I am not racist. It is a generalization of what I went through working at that place. Would I work there again YES, do I think the plant could do better YES, when you take some business classes you will understand, that when you mix cultures not very much gets done especially when they usually don't get along with each other. As a matter of fact, I am not white, so I would hear what all the blacks, and the very small minority of mexicans thought on the subject. TO make things better I am mixed so I also talked to the white people and they said the same thing. They pretty much inside dislike each other. I just assumed if you got rid of this problem and the drugs that the plant would be more productive. If I ran it, from a business perspective I would not mix blacks, whites, mexicans. Its like putting a guy that doesn't speak english with someone that does and expect them to be very productive.

You act like hiring drug addicts is something desired. Its like you are offended by me mentioning that. Do you have a past that involves this?

My post is to show why I feel chrysler is really going to take another crap. Poor quality, poor workmanship.Unions.
LMAO Where do I begin? Typically I wouldn't even respond to such outright ignorance. But it's the holiday weekend and I'm up for the entertainment until the wife gets home. At no point did I call you a racist, nor does being of mixed ethnicity exclude you from being one either. You felt the need to announce that you weren't a racist for a reason. Your ethnicity is actually irrelevant, as anyone of any ethnicity can be prejudiced or even racist. The mere fact that you openly think Blacks, Whites and all others can't coexist says a lot about your mindset and level of exposure. Too much to go into here but clearly there is some self hatred going on and I'm not licensed to help you with that. The good thing is that there is plenty of help out there for that... I have no history of drug or alcohol abuse but that doesn't make me ignorant to the fact that it exists in all facets of our society and doesn't necessarily mean people are bad for having a substance abuse problem. Enjoy your holiday weekend and be careful not to frequent any "mixed bars". Who knows perhaps a riot will break out if Blacks, Whites and Mexicans happen to rub elbows at the bar. I guess the Jim Crow laws are in order too huh? Last question... Is it you or your "imaginary friend" who did the ranting? Because you seemed to go back and forth as to who actually worked at the plant and conducted this highly scientific study on labor relations with ethnic groups. OK I lied one more question? Can Koreans who speak fluent English work with Chinese English speaking employees or is that impossible due to their ancestry and different cuisine that they may eat at home?

Back to the OP and question at hand. Toyota has made major strides in the American landscape and the mere fact that "Is Toyota a Big 3" even a question should tell us something. Clearly Toyota as a Japanese company has in many ways cracked the Big 3 in America. Not to mention Chrysler's foreign investors and partnerships over the past decade. And as was mentioned many times here on CL, with the line being blurred due to partnerships, technology sharing (BMW and Toyota) and assembly plants crossing borders, we are truly living in a "smaller" world with multinational companies. Times are rapidly changing. It still amazes me that Kia and Hyundai are putting out great cars and building some right here in the U.S...All in all I'm happy to see Detroit's Big 3 putting out better products than they have in decades.
Old 05-27-12, 05:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Just thought I'd mention that the Mitsubishi Montero Sport we bought this weekend has the 3.0 liter Mitsubishi v6 which was installed in several Dodge/Chrysler products since the late 80's.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 05-27-12 at 05:54 PM. Reason: grammatical error.
Old 05-28-12, 06:01 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
LMAO Where do I begin? Typically I wouldn't even respond to such outright ignorance. But it's the holiday weekend and I'm up for the entertainment until the wife gets home. At no point did I call you a racist, nor does being of mixed ethnicity exclude you from being one either. You felt the need to announce that you weren't a racist for a reason. Your ethnicity is actually irrelevant, as anyone of any ethnicity can be prejudiced or even racist. The mere fact that you openly think Blacks, Whites and all others can't coexist says a lot about your mindset and level of exposure. Too much to go into here but clearly there is some self hatred going on and I'm not licensed to help you with that. The good thing is that there is plenty of help out there for that... I have no history of drug or alcohol abuse but that doesn't make me ignorant to the fact that it exists in all facets of our society and doesn't necessarily mean people are bad for having a substance abuse problem. Enjoy your holiday weekend and be careful not to frequent any "mixed bars". Who knows perhaps a riot will break out if Blacks, Whites and Mexicans happen to rub elbows at the bar. I guess the Jim Crow laws are in order too huh? Last question... Is it you or your "imaginary friend" who did the ranting? Because you seemed to go back and forth as to who actually worked at the plant and conducted this highly scientific study on labor relations with ethnic groups. OK I lied one more question? Can Koreans who speak fluent English work with Chinese English speaking employees or is that impossible due to their ancestry and different cuisine that they may eat at home?

Back to the OP and question at hand. Toyota has made major strides in the American landscape and the mere fact that "Is Toyota a Big 3" even a question should tell us something. Clearly Toyota as a Japanese company has in many ways cracked the Big 3 in America. Not to mention Chrysler's foreign investors and partnerships over the past decade. And as was mentioned many times here on CL, with the line being blurred due to partnerships, technology sharing (BMW and Toyota) and assembly plants crossing borders, we are truly living in a "smaller" world with multinational companies. Times are rapidly changing. It still amazes me that Kia and Hyundai are putting out great cars and building some right here in the U.S...All in all I'm happy to see Detroit's Big 3 putting out better products than they have in decades.
You need to study business more. That's about it, until then it is pointless to argue with you.
Old 05-28-12, 06:02 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets keep the personal jabs out of the thread please