Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM: worlds biggest bankrupt company. Signs of Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 08:35 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM: worlds biggest bankrupt company. Signs of Trouble?

GM Pulls Out of Super Bowl in Newest Adverting Shakeup

Earlier in the week, GM announced that they would be pulling their Facebook ads due to ineffectiveness. Now, in a bigger announcement, GM has announced that they will not be advertising during the upcoming Super Bowl. Ads for the championship game are reportedly $3.8-million for 30-seconds. In last year's spot, GM made waves with their Apocalypse-Ready Silverado spot that called out Ford specifically.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...g-shakeup.html
Usually when a company starts cutting back spending on advertisments let alone a twice bankrupt one it is a tell tale sign of more trouble and problems looming. When GM claims that advertising on Facebook is ineffective, just when every fortune 500 company is saying the exact opposite you know something is going wrong with them. With $GM stock down more than 50% since they went public (again) about a year ago I wouldn't be suprised if GM announce a big loss on it's next earings report.

Last edited by Stormwind; 05-20-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-20-12, 09:16 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Whenever I read GM press releases, I always feel like someone forgot to put "J/K LOL" at the end.
Old 05-20-12, 10:36 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The government should have just let them die ... they don't deserve a bailout.
Old 05-20-12, 10:42 PM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

What's another $100 billion the U.S taxpayers can spare to keep on bailing out Government Motors???
Old 05-20-12, 11:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I kinda feel that same way, but it sucks for the 10's of thousands that would lose their jobs.
Not just at GM, the effect would trickle down to their suppliers employees too.
Old 05-20-12, 11:07 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I kinda feel that same way, but it sucks for the 10's of thousands that would lose their jobs.
Not just at GM, the effect would trickle down to their suppliers employees too.
Those 10's of thousands of workers can go work for Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Chrysler, etc, etc. Those companies have plants in the U.S.

Remember all those former GM customers will now have an opportunity to buy anything else but a GM product...

Now that Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Hummer, Saturn, Saab, Mercury, Plymouth, Eagle, etc, etc...are gone seems like those former workers might have found jobs elswhere and those former customers are now buying anything but Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Hummer, Saturn, Saab, Mercury, Plymouth, Eagle, etc, etc...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-22-12 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 04:40 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I totally disagree with your opinion on this topic. I still think it was good idea for the government to save GM. I probably will never buy a GM car but I would never wish bad luck on an American company. I wish success to GM, Ford, or any American car company b/c I realize if they fail it affects my country as a hold. Go American did I say that...
Old 05-21-12, 06:18 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

^ GM sucks, but USA FTW
Old 05-21-12, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I can't agree. The quality and design of their newest-generation vehicles alone, IMO, justifies the bailout. For many years (too many) GM talked quality and delivered junk. Now, for the first time in decades, they are delivering what they promised. I haven't seen GM cars this well-done since the late 1960s. I'm especially glad that Buick survived....and gave us the superb Verano.

You also have to take into account that the government (and corporate decisions) did allow four GM divisions to die.....Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Saab. Pontiac.......and, of course, several years ago, Oldsmobile. Pontiac's death, I can understand....outside of the GTO and G8, there wasn't much in that division to impress. Hummer and Saab, IMO, should have never been bought-out by GM in the first place........many of Saab's traditional customers were put-off by the line GM replaced the Swedish-designed cars with. And the way GM handled Saturn after 2000, IMO, by doing away with those excellent and reliable plastic-bodied S-series and replacing them with all-metal rebadged Euro and GM-clones, was nothing short of criminal....that effectively ruined the division. Saturn was once a top-rated company in customer-orientation and product-innovation...after 2000, they became just another ho-hum GM division....and ultimately paid the price. But even then, that was the old GM.....not the new GM that has transformed itself since the bailout.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Earlier in the week, GM announced that they would be pulling their Facebook ads due to ineffectiveness. Now, in a bigger announcement, GM has announced that they will not be advertising during the upcoming Super Bowl. Ads for the championship game are reportedly $3.8-million for 30-seconds. In last year's spot, GM made waves with their Apocalypse-Ready Silverado spot that called out Ford specifically.
I agree with both decisions....and see nothing wrong with it.

First, considering that Eduardo Saverin, Facebook's co-founder, is actually renouncing his U.S. citizenship to evade taxes, I don't think that an American-based corporations should give the company any of their money....he sure won't get a penny of mine (and no, I don't have a Facebook account either).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1510099.html

Second, why waste money on grossly-overpriced Super-Bowl ads when that money, IMO, could be better and more efficiently spent on product-quality and development? From what I've seen of several new GM products (and Chrysler), they are putting the money where it counts.
Old 05-21-12, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't agree. The quality and design of their newest-generation vehicles alone, IMO, justifies the bailout. For many years (too many) GM talked quality and delivered junk. Now, for the first time in decades, they are delivering what they promised. I haven't seen GM cars this well-done since the late 1960s. I'm especially glad that Buick survived....and gave us the superb Verano.

You also have to take into account that the government (and corporate decisions) did allow four GM divisions to die.....Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Saab. Pontiac.......and, of course, several years ago, Oldsmobile. Pontiac's death, I can understand....outside of the GTO and G8, there wasn't much in that division to impress. Hummer and Saab, IMO, should have never been bought-out by GM in the first place........many of Saab's traditional customers were put-off by the line GM replaced the Swedish-designed cars with. And the way GM handled Saturn after 2000, IMO, by doing away with those excellent and reliable plastic-bodied S-series and replacing them with all-metal rebadged Euro and GM-clones, was nothing short of criminal....that effectively ruined the division. Saturn was once a top-rated company in customer-orientation and product-innovation...after 2000, they became just another ho-hum GM division....and ultimately paid the price. But even then, that was the old GM.....not the new GM that has transformed itself since the bailout.
My sentiments as well
Old 05-21-12, 10:43 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Dead on! If you don't see GM as putting out better products for the 1st time in decades you're simply not looking. You don't have to be a fan or owner of any of the new cars or trucks in their lineup but you can't deny the much needed turnaround.
Old 05-21-12, 10:53 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by rogers2
I totally disagree with your opinion on this topic. I still think it was good idea for the government to save GM. I probably will never buy a GM car but I would never wish bad luck on an American company. I wish success to GM, Ford, or any American car company b/c I realize if they fail it affects my country as a hold. Go American did I say that...
I'm not wishing bad luck to GM but they are doing it to themselves. GM CEO Daniel Akerson isn't all that either. Still has the same arrogance and not the new focus to lead GM where it should be.

Maybe GM should be bought out by a foreign car company like Chrysler? Any other european car companies interested in acquiring GM? What about Peugot/Citroen?

Last edited by Trexus; 05-22-12 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 10:53 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GM has improved on quality, but lacks in the loyalty dept. They have put themselves in the Buyers Beware category, which is a hard hole to climb out of. My area used to be GM country, now it's ruled by yoda's, Honda's, Nissan's and Fords. I think GM has done an about face with their products, but the consumers are not taking notice and not believing what GM says. It's just hard to swallow still.
Old 05-21-12, 01:18 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I think this is the best statement made so far. I do not wish for GM to fail because it would cripple our economy, but I do not wish in any way to give GM another bailout.

I hope this article isn't hinting at another bailout. I agree with mmarshall on the direction that GM is heading:

I can't agree. The quality and design of their newest-generation vehicles alone, IMO, justifies the bailout. [/FONT].
but if this statement holds any merit, then GM's profit for this year should be able to keep them afloat; a second bailout should not needed. If they go under again, then it means their products really are bad, or they are good quality but their marketing team sucks; and if their marketing teams sucks, GM once again has squander its money on hiring a bad marketing team. A company that spends money frivolously should not be helped.

This is a totally random idea (and i doubt it'll ever happen), but if GM is struggling so much in trying to compete with making cars, maybe they should just switch their attentions to making other heavy machinery, such as airlines or motorcycles. Honda seems to be doing this and surviving haha

Quick Reply: GM: worlds biggest bankrupt company. Signs of Trouble?