Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So let's all be clear on what the "Spindle" really is...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're welcome. most people don't realize you can't patent an idea for a thing either, only the 'non-obvious' process of creating a thing or the process itself of doing something.
yeah, i have gone through patent stuff here and there, awful to say the least a lot of work and you have to prove a lot too.

so back in this case with the lexus grille, i think if lexus wants to continue this trend, trademarking the design is a good idea
Old 05-24-12, 12:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't patent a logo, only trademark it.
Ay...

There's the rub.
Old 05-24-12, 12:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Never before in modern times has car style copying been so prevalent. Hyundai, Kia, Honda, Audi, Ford, Lexus.... all sharing taillights or grilles or whatever. Audi really started something with their widemouth grille in 2005. Mitsubishi and others have followed with gaping holes.

As far as Lexus's spindle, I think it has a nice shape to it. Flare inward above the bumper, flare outward below the bumper. That is a pretty basic idea to make the upper half clean and traditional, but at the same time adds some sport to the lower half by making the body work appear as if it's spreading out to cover the wheels. The one exception to all this is with the new GS Sport, which adds too many vertical "accessory" air intakes on the lower half of bumper.
Old 08-11-12, 04:43 PM
joeh80
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spindle Disaster

I have been driving a Lexus for 12 years. If the spindle is still around when I move up I will definitively look elsewhere.
Old 08-11-12, 04:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joeh80
I have been driving a Lexus for 12 years. If the spindle is still around when I move up I will definitively look elsewhere.
It's not going anywhere.
I'm not a fan of it on certain Lexus models.
Old 08-11-12, 04:52 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
interesting that you can patent a "style" / "shape"
In US/Can, you can trademark a style/shape. Certain countries in Europe (e.g. Germany) they use patents for inventions and style/shape.
Old 08-11-12, 06:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by joeh80
I'd guess it will be around for at least 6 yrs so depends when you intend to move up.
Old 08-11-12, 08:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
What does the article clarify? I'm lost.
me too
Old 08-12-12, 01:16 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody can file for a patent for anything whenever they want but it doesn't mean they have a "spindle of chance" of getting the grant for it. I can go file for a patent on a circular wheel tomorrow and put out marketing that I am do it but it doesn't really meant squat.

In fact if VW really want to put a stop to this none sense al they got to do is send the uspto a picture of this.
Attached Thumbnails So let's all be clear on what the "Spindle" really is...-audi-grill-cat.jpg  
Old 08-12-12, 02:26 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

You must have failed basic geometry since the Audi inverted trapezoid is a diifferent shape to the kinked Lexus spindle.
Old 08-12-12, 07:04 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
In fact if VW really want to put a stop to this none sense al they got to do is send the uspto a picture of this.
prior art FTL...

Old 08-12-12, 08:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

can't we all just get along?

Old 08-12-12, 08:52 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Unfortunately, Lexus "thinks" they have a real winner here.. Look at Audi big open-wide mouth grill (nobody copy that crap and i don't think any other co. wants that Spindle "Predator" crap neither..)

Like Oohpapi said,

Yes please, one generation is enough.. its not full blown predator on all of them yet and I'm already tired of looking at them.. (Big Sigh)
Audi has trademarked their single frame grill and lots of people have copied, from Hyundai to Ford.
Old 08-12-12, 10:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Anybody can file for a patent for anything whenever they want but it doesn't mean they have a "spindle of chance" of getting the grant for it. I can go file for a patent on a circular wheel tomorrow and put out marketing that I am do it but it doesn't really meant squat.

are you serious or? so basically Audi invented grille? since shape is not similar under any circumstances.
Old 08-12-12, 12:23 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a matter of fact, the first ever Toyota model, the AA built as a prototype in 1935 has a large grille very similar in shape to that of the Audi:

So, all the claims that Audi were copied by japanese are pure joke. Besides, the Audi grille was created by a japanese - Satoshi Wada. Very underrated designer by the way, author of the A5, the prevoius A6 and Q7.

Last edited by DFGeneer; 08-12-12 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: So let's all be clear on what the "Spindle" really is...