Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So let's all be clear on what the "Spindle" really is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 12:23 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
How about we just agree that Audi is doing it the best right now and hopefully Lexus will at least catch up in the near future?
Original or not, I do think that with the new LS Lexus has finally caught up to if not surpassed Audi in the grille design (I like the original LS grille too but the new LS is the gaping mouth concept done truly right). Just hopefully it'll stay that good come the refreshes of the rest of the Lexus line-up.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-14-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 12:42 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Original or not, I do think that with the new LS Lexus has finally caught up to if not surpassed Audi in the grille design (I like the original LS grille too but the new LS is the gaping mouth concept done truly right). Just hopefully it'll stay that good come the refreshes of the rest of the Lexus line-up.
I'll agree that the LS is a great stride but Lexus still has a ways to before they catch up, much less pass them. Would be hard to expect them to copy Audi and pass them in the first 'spindle' year.
Old 08-14-12, 01:04 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

I'll agree that the LS is a great stride but Lexus still has a ways to before they catch up, much less pass them.
That is quite subjective of course (in terms of where the new LS is at).
Would be hard to expect them to copy Audi and pass them in the first 'spindle' year.
I can agree that it takes time to mature the application of the grille shape and the rest of the front that goes with it. The gaping mouth grille first appeared on the 2005 Audi A6, at which time it looked both bold and bland, if that makes any sense. Now the A6 looks simply bold and modern.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-14-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 01:13 PM
DFGeneer
Rookie

Originally Posted by ydooby
LOL yeah, you got me on this one (I've never seen those cars before! What are they?). Although they feel quite different from Audi's modern interpretation they do fit my definition of Audi's "invention" quite well, i.e. the upper grille extends over the bumper to connect with the lower grille to form a large gaping mouth.

Those are Dodge Firearrow concept cars from 53 and 54.
Old 08-14-12, 01:15 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A wild grill design does take time for some to like.
I disliked the A8 grill at first but think it's looks great now.
Might feel the same with the spindle in time.
Old 08-14-12, 10:29 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

How about we just agree that Audi is doing it the best right now and hopefully Lexus will at least catch up in the near future?

Uhh no? How about we agree that looks are subjective and leave it as that? Since the Audi look has become sort of boring and overplayed to me while the Lexus spindle looks fresh and exciting.