Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW reveals stunning Zagato Coupe at Villa d'Este

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 12:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW reveals stunning Zagato Coupe at Villa d'Este

BMW reveals stunning Zagato Coupe at Villa d'Este

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-z...photo-5047433/

It could be said that no auto show is as glamorous as the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este. Held on the picturesque shores of Lake Como in northern Italy, the annual concours is sponsored by BMW. So it only stands to reason that the Bavarian automaker wouldn't let the show come and go without making a splash on its own.

Previous years saw BMW roll into Cernobbio with such show-stopping concepts as the M1 Hommage and the 328 Hommage, but this year it's not looking back on its history to draw its inspiration. Instead it's teamed up with celebrated Italian coachbuilder Zagato to dream up the concept you see here.

A rare instance of Munich reaching beyond its own design department, the BMW Zagato Coupé is a one-off concept, but is far from a fragile show car. The shape is aerodynamically optimized and the car is fully road registered in Germany, and has already undergone high-speed testing at BMW's own test facility. The Bavarian automaker remains tight-lipped on its underpinnings and running gear, but the obvious conclusion – whether ultimately correct or not – is that it's based on the Z4 roadster.

Whatever lies beneath the hand-crafted aluminum shape, however, is of less consequence than its design. Reinvigorating a tradition of collaboration that goes back to the 1959 BMW 3200 Michelotti Vignale through to the Giugiaro-designed M1 of 1978, the Zagato Coupé concept aptly embodies design cues attributable to both BMW and Zagato – from the twin-kidney grille (whose mesh is made up of little Zs), over the double-bubble roof (a hallmark of Zagato styling originally intended to accommodate a racing helmet in early designs) to the Kamm tail that BMW and Zagato both claim as common heritage.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/25/b...t-villa-deste/
Old 05-25-12, 12:31 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z4 coupe? Bring it.
Hopefully, next gen Z4 will have coupe model.
Old 05-25-12, 03:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I love the signature bubble roof but I am surprised they put their touch on such a cheap car.
Old 05-25-12, 08:55 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I already think the latest z4 coupe is beautiful
Old 05-26-12, 02:51 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the frontal part of the car. That's it.
Old 05-29-12, 02:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW Zagato Coupe clears its throat for the crowds at Villa d'Este

BMW Zagato Coupe clears its throat for the crowds at Villa d'Este

Goodbye Bangle, hello Zagato. While the BMW design ethos may be best known for the aggressive flame-surfacing language, it took a decidedly different approach at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este this weekend when it unveiled the Zagato Coupé concept.

Deduced to be based on the current Z4, the Zagato Coupé was coachbuilt by the famed Milanese design studio into the swoopy Kamm-tailed prototype you see here. Word on the Italian lakeshore is that, along with the new shape, BMW has also increased the coupe's output to 400 horsepower – presumably from the 3.0-liter twin-turbo straight six that produces 340 horsepower in the top-of-the-line Z4 sDrive35is.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/29/b...at-villa-dest/
Old 05-29-12, 03:29 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Yikes! Look like they borrowed the crz's rear end

I agree the front end looks good