Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Ford Mustang V6 vs. 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 07:14 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Ford Mustang V6 vs. 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track

Read more: INSIDELINE

Settle in, find a rhythm and it won't take long to discover that the Genesis is both the quicker and more dedicated tool for dissecting any road. Largely, this is down to its more sophisticated suspension, stronger power plant and lower stance.

The speed difference, however, isn't as substantial as the chasm that emerges in our confidence during aggressive driving. Drive both cars over the same road at the same pace and you'll come away from the Genesis far less aware of your own mortality. Its better damping and body control are a blessing. And if the going gets even remotely rough, the Mustang's axle begins to show itself for what it is: heavy and old.

Set the Mustang's adjustable steering weight to Sport and steering effort is similar in both cars. We don't love the steering feel in either car, but response in the Genesis is quicker and more intuitive. There's less urgency just off-center and a better sense of control when probing the limits of its chassis.

Work the upper reaches of the tachometer and there's no ignoring the Korean coupe's 43-hp advantage. Despite its peak torque arriving a few hundred rpm higher in the rev range, the Genesis leaves slow corners with more punch. More importantly, it encourages hard driving rather than merely tolerating it. If you're buying one of these cars for back roads, pick the Genesis.

Braking performance, though, falls easily in the Mustang's favor, which is ironic considering the hardware that's stopping both of these cars. With 13.4-inch front rotors and fixed four-piston Brembo calipers, the 3,533-pound Genesis should easily provide more thermal capacity and better brake feel. But it's the 3,526-pound Mustang's 12.4-inch rotors and two-piston sliding calipers that produced better pedal feel and consistency.

Only 2 feet separate the coupes' 60-0 stopping distances (112 feet Mustang, 114 feet Genesis), but after five consecutive stops, the Genesis showed significant pedal fade, which never materialized after six stops in the Mustang.

1st Place: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Quick, rewarding at speed and strikingly styled, the Genesis Coupe is a lot of car for the money.
2nd Place: 2013 Ford Mustang V6
More practical and familiar, with ample performance. Best minor-league Mustang ever.
Old 05-29-12, 07:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn, I didn't know the Haiyondie has 350hp.
Old 05-29-12, 08:19 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Impressive but I rather take the mustang. I cannot stand how Hyundai blotch the front end..
Old 05-29-12, 08:46 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They put the Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track Model against the basic stang?

If they are going to put the top genesis in the mix, why not the Mustang GT for equal dollars?

And the Genesis has the Track package but has bad brake fade huh?

apples and orange comparison and if i was in the market for either, I would not cross shop these...
Old 05-29-12, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,415 Likes on 1,583 Posts

^ yeah seems rather contrived and unbalanced comparison.
Old 05-29-12, 09:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I liked the Genesis Coupe pre 2013 facelift. Mustang for me!
Old 05-29-12, 10:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I liked the Genesis Coupe pre 2013 facelift. Mustang for me!
I don't like the new Genesis front end either. Why would you want to make a the Genesis look more like all the other lower-end Hyundais? I thought the point of the Genesis models was that they were something different and unexpected.
Old 05-29-12, 10:21 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by J.P.
They put the Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track Model against the basic stang?

If they are going to put the top genesis in the mix, why not the Mustang GT for equal dollars?

And the Genesis has the Track package but has bad brake fade huh?

apples and orange comparison and if i was in the market for either, I would not cross shop these...
Both are fully loaded V6 models. There is hardly anything base about the Mustang when everything comes with it. This isn't like IS250 vs Audi S4.(just a random example)

Also a fully loaded GT with the same features as the Genesis Track is running $40k.

If you want a BASE Genesis V6 get the $29k R-spec V6.
Old 05-29-12, 11:05 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Both are fully loaded V6 models. There is hardly anything base about the Mustang when everything comes with it. This isn't like IS250 vs Audi S4.(just a random example)

Also a fully loaded GT with the same features as the Genesis Track is running $40k.

You can get a GT with the brembo package and short final drive for under $30k. The dealers are really discounting them down.
Old 05-29-12, 11:39 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed. that front end of the Genesis looks more like a Mazda now. such a strange comparison also I believe.
Old 05-29-12, 12:13 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91

The GT with brembo is nearly the same price....

They took the lower end stang and compared it to the top of the line genesis with the track package then said it was better, duh.

If this is what review sites need to do to make Hyundai look better its a sad day for the auto world....
Old 05-29-12, 01:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

They took the lower end stang and compared it to the top of the line genesis with the track package then said it was better, duh.

If this is what review sites need to do to make Hyundai look better its a sad day for the auto world....
The article said that the manufacturers provided them with the test cars. Who knows if that is all that was available from Ford or the mfgr. wanted that model tested.
Old 05-30-12, 04:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Did you read the article? The Stang is equipped with the $1,999 performance package, which includes; strut tower brace, larger, stiffer, sway bars, stiffer springs, 19" wheels, and high performance summer tires. I fail to see why the Genesis' track pack makes the comparison unfair.
Old 05-30-12, 06:15 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
You can get a GT with the brembo package and short final drive for under $30k. The dealers are really discounting them down.
Ha negative. the GT is $32k with destination and $34k with ONLY the performance package. YOu don't get the infotainment, leather seats, heated seats, navigation, push button start. Basically no sort of luxury item. So it is pointless to compare a fully loaded V6 model to a basic bare bones stripped V8 model. Who does that lol.
Old 05-30-12, 06:16 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Did you read the article? The Stang is equipped with the $1,999 performance package, which includes; strut tower brace, larger, stiffer, sway bars, stiffer springs, 19" wheels, and high performance summer tires. I fail to see why the Genesis' track pack makes the comparison unfair.
People are just mad. They don't understand the fact that the V6 can be had with EVERYTHING that the V8 can have. So when the Stang is fully loaded one can hardly call it "base".

Quick Reply: 2013 Ford Mustang V6 vs. 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track