Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd row vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 06:52 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$40k for 36k miles is a bit high would you say?

Its CPO and if you look at the GL, GX, LX, the value does not drop off that fast...
Old 05-30-12, 06:56 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

My sister has a 2011 Pilot (I call it a square moving box) and my brother has a 2011 Suburban (I call it a moving mobile home). I don't like neither.

I will vote for the GL and MDX.
Old 05-30-12, 06:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You cannot beat the TRUE utility of a Van, it swallows up people and cargo. For "image" of course a SUV is "cooler"

Honestly if the 3rd row is a huge priority, look only at Vans and larger SUVs like the Tahoe XL, Suburban, Sequoia etc, true full size SUVs.
^^Agreed 100%. We have had a 2008 GX and now a 2012 GX with the third row seats and I just took a road trip in a rented minivan (Dodge Caravan) with four adults and two toddlers. While I don't think my wife will ever want a minivan, they are way more practical than my GX. The cargo space is generous even with three rows and mobility and room between the two rear seat rows is nice. Both the side rear doors and the tailgate were powered which was nice and the ride was actually pretty nice too. Our rental was bare bones but the Sienna and Odyssey can be optioned out very nicely.
Old 05-30-12, 07:23 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a 2006 for $22k with 65k on it. Added the 5 yr 150k power terrain warranty for another $1,600. Put 1k down and on my first payment put another $12k in on the balance. I never buy new anymore done it several times and after the first yr have always wished i got a used. I cant speak much on any issues because we just got this earlier this month... The reason why im such a carmax fan is because every issue we had they fixed at their cost. Its their contract that you have 30 days to address any and all concerns to be addressed.

With that said... They r replacing a $15 splash gaurd, a $250 steering control cover just cause it was pealing, $400 center counsle cover from a few crack, put new brakes, all new tires, alignment. They also covered the cost for an owners manual. I haven't bought from a dealer that gives you more than a tank of gas.

Good luck on your hunt! We researched for a GX470 for 8 months and they day we drove down to Costa Mesa to get it we shook up everything and went with this. Crazy but so are we... it'll be paid off by November
so we make some more crazy decisions.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 05-30-12 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-30-12, 08:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the sequoia is ok, big car with space but too much like the tundra now, and interior looks a bit cheap.
The Sequoia's interior, IMO, not only looks cheap, but feels cheap as well.

the pilot is a good option, very spacious inside and price is good. but you have to ask yourself since not much luxury in that car.
True, the interior and, to some extent, overall fit/finish is not as good on the latest-generation Pilot as in the past, but it still has excellent build-quality and reliability.

I won't say much on minivan since they are too different
With a new minivan, if you want AWD, you are pretty much limited to the Sienna (no other American-market minivan offers it).....and AWD versions can list for 40K and up. Even the cheapest LE AWD models start at 32k and will usually list well up in the 30s.
Old 05-30-12, 03:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2011 Sienna LE, 2005 Sequoia, 00 LX470, if let me choose again, I would get the Sienna.
Old 05-31-12, 06:16 AM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like from what I've been hearing here the Sienna or Odyssey is a very spacious vehicle and might be the right choice.Time to narrow it down to a few vehicles and start searching for 'em.
Old 05-31-12, 07:13 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Let us know how the search goes and what you decide upon.
Old 05-31-12, 08:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfl1pguy
Looks like from what I've been hearing here the Sienna or Odyssey is a very spacious vehicle and might be the right choice.Time to narrow it down to a few vehicles and start searching for 'em.
if you are solely talking about space, you can't beat minivans
Old 06-02-12, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

How about a Highlander or a 4Runner? Those seem like good buys. We looked at a 4Runner, a really decent vehicle.

As for the Sequoia, you will get a good 3row suv. The powertrain is the same as the Lexus 460 or 570 and if you go for a Platinum model you can get many luxury features found on luxury brands.

I would try to keep it in the Toyota family.
Old 06-04-12, 05:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350BABY
Have you look in Mazda CX-9? I own one, and hands down it is the best 3rd row crossover that you could get new around 35-40k. In my opinion, it is one of the most fun to drive 3rd crossover beside BMW X5 or Audi Q7.

However, the downside for Mazda are fuel economy sucks, and interior quality & design aren't in the same level with Lexus, even compared with my IS 350.
The OP has a really wide range of vehicles and prices, but I just purchased a Mazda CX-9 in March and I love it. I chose it over the Pilot and Highlander. Loaded Grand Touring AWD was $34,300 with all discounts. Although I haven't put any adults in the 3rd row, it's big enough to do it. It handles way better than my old Pilot, and even though it's about a foot longer than my 1st gen Pilot, it still fits in the garage perfect.

Downsides are definitely gas milage (I'm getting about 15-16 with mostly around town driving). Nav system is Denso, like the Lexus, but the display is not as crisp. Bluetooth phone book and funcionality is, again, not as good as the Lexus system (I have an 07 IS).

Also--my wife said no minivan. So I didn't even look at a Siena or Odyssey.

If I was moving up to the next class, I think that the MDX and new JX would be what I would choose from.
Old 06-04-12, 05:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How about a Highlander or a 4Runner? Those seem like good buys. We looked at a 4Runner, a really decent vehicle.

As for the Sequoia, you will get a good 3row suv. The powertrain is the same as the Lexus 460 or 570 and if you go for a Platinum model you can get many luxury features found on luxury brands.

I would try to keep it in the Toyota family.
The Higlander was really nice--I thought long and hard about it before going with the CX-9.
Old 06-04-12, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

latest highlander looks really nice inside and out, but 5 speed auto is a bit lame. it would be on my radar with 6 speed auto.
Old 06-04-12, 08:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazda CX9 or Nissan Quest (the new one that is made in Japan)
Old 06-04-12, 10:29 AM
msubee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
The OP has a really wide range of vehicles and prices, but I just purchased a Mazda CX-9 in March and I love it. I chose it over the Pilot and Highlander. Loaded Grand Touring AWD was $34,300 with all discounts. Although I haven't put any adults in the 3rd row, it's big enough to do it. It handles way better than my old Pilot, and even though it's about a foot longer than my 1st gen Pilot, it still fits in the garage perfect.

Downsides are definitely gas milage (I'm getting about 15-16 with mostly around town driving). Nav system is Denso, like the Lexus, but the display is not as crisp. Bluetooth phone book and funcionality is, again, not as good as the Lexus system (I have an 07 IS).

Also--my wife said no minivan. So I didn't even look at a Siena or Odyssey.

If I was moving up to the next class, I think that the MDX and new JX would be what I would choose from.
Gotta love the zoom zoom in the Mazda

Quick Reply: 3rd row vehicle