Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

May 2012 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 03:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
spwolf, where do you get all the incentive info?
I was wrong on Lexus, it has more incentives than Toyota right now... well for April 2012, probably due to all those RX's, IS's, LS's, ES's, GX's, lots of old models. Makes you wonder when they are updated within 12-14 months how the sales will be, right? Toyota is very low probably due to new Camry and the fact that they are still short on Corollas and especially Prii.

Looking at Edmunds April 2012 XLS right now...
Incentives by BRAND
BMW: $$3,521
MB: $2,587
Lexus: $1,807

Toyota: $$1,360
Scion: $379
Chevrolet: $3,324
Buick: $2,859
Lincoln: $4,157
Subaru: $502
VW: $868
Audi: $1,385
Old 06-07-12, 07:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by seanlee
, i guess if there is one thing i did right, it was to let you remember what i commented in the past and have you felt the need to mention it.

anyways, we are not sure about P.O.S. of ILX or whatever, it won't hurt to wait for a month to see how it does. the HS, sadly, is about to get axed no matter how great it is.

back to the Lexus stuff, while it is entirely true that there are people who choose GS over ES because they like the RWD vs FWD, those are really the minority. for a daily driver, there is no difference. there is no mountain road to let you take advantage of the perfectly balanced driving machine unless you own a mountain. look at the FR-S, one of the best handling car you can buy, sold 86 copies, HALF of the ILX which only had about 1 week of selling days. i guess in your mind this could never be possible as: 1. FR-S looks nicer than ILX (subjective), 2. FR-S has more HP than ILX, 3 FR-S handles much better than ILX. 4. FR-S has more selling days than ILX. go figure.

i am just commenting on the style, and i think the ES looks damn impressive, it looks very much like the current LS which is a great thing.
lol wut? Stop trying to make yourself seem special I remember way too much lol. Nice HS jab, I hope you and everyone gets it out their system. Lexus at least was smart enough to can it quick instead of being in denial about the damn car(s). Besides the TSX is going to be canned and it sells well.

For a daily driver there is a difference between FWD and RWD unless you are not an enthusiast or just don't care not to notice the difference. Since you love cars like the 111hp, 150hp and 201hp ILX I'm not surprised you would make that comment. To "you" a non car enthusiast, you can't tell the difference. Which is fine, people have their wants/needs and desires. Most buyers/consumers are not enthusiasts at all.

Then you come to pick on the FR-S (lol) which is of course WRONG b/c Toyota/Suburu is completely maxed out with production right now. Contrarily there were 900 ILXs on lots since it went on sale May 22nd and they sold not even 200 and its the 2nd cheapest car with a "luxury" nameplate besides the Buick Verano. FYI the ILX sales goal is 40,000 units a year. I think the BRZ/FRS goal is 6,000 a year here. FYI a car with a higher sales goal is SUPPOSED to outsell one with a lower sales goal. I guarantee you the ILX will not come close to its sales goal. It is DOA. Some car buyers might be dumb but I don't think they are that dumb even brand loyal ones.

The GS has its market, the ES has its market. Lexus being a proper Tier 1 luxury brand understands what people want as the GS is meeting/beating sales goals and the car is highly revered in comparisons and improved on the 3GS in most all measurable metrics. The ES is the volume seller, the LS "light" the best selling Asian luxury sedan and the new model looks to be incredible. I can actually agree that the ES from some angles looks better than the GS (in pictures, need to see in person).

I think I need an "auto elder" badge at this point

Last edited by LexFather; 06-07-12 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-07-12, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
I was wrong on Lexus, it has more incentives than Toyota right now... well for April 2012, probably due to all those RX's, IS's, LS's, ES's, GX's, lots of old models. Makes you wonder when they are updated within 12-14 months how the sales will be, right? Toyota is very low probably due to new Camry and the fact that they are still short on Corollas and especially Prii.

Looking at Edmunds April 2012 XLS right now...
Incentives by BRAND
BMW: $$3,521
MB: $2,587
Lexus: $1,807

Toyota: $$1,360
Scion: $379
Chevrolet: $3,324
Buick: $2,859
Lincoln: $4,157
Subaru: $502
VW: $868
Audi: $1,385
Lexus has stated themselves they are increasing incentives to gain ground lost to the Germans.

Old 06-21-12, 06:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lot Time

Newly launched sports cars from Subaru and Toyota, fuel-sipping hybrids and the usual suspects were among the fastest-selling vehicles in May, according to Edmunds.com's analysis.

Just on sale, the Subaru BRZ and Toyota's Scion FR-S, in that order, topped Edmunds.com's list of quickest-selling vehicles in May. The list is based on Edmunds.com's calculation of days-to-turn; that is, the number of days a vehicle sits at the dealership before it is sold. The BRZ took a scant 4 days to sell; the FR-S only 5 days. In other words, their tires barely hit the pavement before someone drove them home. By comparison, industry wide, it took an average of 53 days to sell a vehicle.

The pair of entry-level, rear-drive sports coupes, priced around $25,000, shares the same underpinnings and were jointly developed by Subaru and Toyota. The idea was to collaborate on affordable, back-to-basics, 2+2 sports cars to serve as halo models for the respective brands. The rear-drive-only BRZ provides Subaru with a sporty offering priced below the WRX. For Scion, the 86 harkens to the Toyota AE86, a moderately-priced sports car sold from 1983 to 1987 that served as the FR-S' design inspiration.

Manufactured by Subaru in Japan, the cars are winning rave reviews. Edmunds.com's enthusiast channel InsideLine.com concluded that the BRZ delivered "elegant control, engaging feedback and enlightening limits." InsideLine.com, which recently purchased an FR-S for its long-term test fleet, called the Toyota "1 of the most gratifying sports cars to come along in years."

The BRZ went on sale at the end of April. Toyota offered the first 86 FR-S buyers — selected via an online contest — a trip to California for test drives, demonstrations and track time in their new sports cars, before opening sales to the rest of the public. Neither car will be available in huge quantities because production is constrained, so quick getaways from dealerships — a little room for haggling — can be expected for some time. Toyota intends to sell 10,000 for 2012 and 20,000 in its 1st full year of sales next year. Subaru plans to sell 6,000 in the U.S. this year.

It's not unusual for newly launched models to be in short supply as buyers want to be the 1st on their block with the newest model and as automakers slowly gear up production. But the Subaru and Scion are joined by another little sports car, the Hyundai Veloster, which is also on the hot-selling list though it has been out for awhile. Priced at just under $18,000, the Veloster has been racking up sales of more than 3,000 a month for the past 4 months; May sales totaled 3,624 vehicles. The brisk sales and short supplies of this trio suggests that sports car sales, after plummeting to near nothing during the recession, are making a comeback, or at least sales of more affordable sports cars are bouncing back. Indeed, Hyundai forecasts that sales of compact sports cars like its Veloster will grow by 37% this year to 145,125 vehicles, from 105,591 in 2011.

And not surprisingly, there's quite a bit of cross-shopping among the 3. Consumers considering the Subaru BRZ most often shop it against the Scion FR-S, and vice versa, according to Edmunds.com data. For the BRZ, the Subaru WRX is the 2nd most cross-shopped vehicle. For the Scion FR-S, the Scion tC coupe is the 2nd. The Hyundai Veloster and Hyundai Genesis Coupe, which starts at around $23,000, also appear on the shopping lists of BRZ and FR-S intenders. So far, Veloster intenders have ranked the Honda CR-Z hybrid as No. 2 on their shopping list; the BRZ and FR-S have not shown up in the cross-shopping data yet, likely because they are so new to the market. Most Veloster buyers are coming from other Hyundai products, according to Edmunds.com's trade-in information. The most traded-in vehicle for the Veloster is Hyundai's own Elantra followed by the Sonata, with the Honda Civic being the 3rd most traded vehicle for a Veloster.

Another little sporty number, the new Golf R, a with a price starting around $34,000, also made the list of Top 20 fastest-selling cars. So too did the Audi TT RS and Audi TTS convertible, both of which start at more than $50,000.

May's list included other newcomers as well. They include the all-new: 2013 Acura ILX, a completely new entry-level model that costs and has 3 powertrain choices, including a hybrid; the 2013 Infiniti JX, which is an all-new 7-passenger SUV loaded with sophisticated technology; and the Mazda CX-5, a sporty, fuel-efficient crossover. The newest members of the Toyota Prius family have been in short supply and high demand since they were introduced earlier this year. In May, the entry-level Prius C sold in an average 10 days; the larger Prius V sold on average in about 18 days.

For its size, Audi often has an outsize number of vehicles on the quickest-selling vehicles. In May, 4 of the top 20 quickest selling models were Audi models. In addition to the TTS and TT RS, the Audi Q7 and Q5 sport utilities, both particularly popular with production-constrained diesel engines, made the quick-selling list — again. Audi plans to ease the shortage of Q5 SUVs with the construction of a new assembly plant in Mexico to be the only global source for the smaller ute. Another luxury make, BMW, had a couple of utilities on the quick-selling list: the freshened X6 and the South Carolina-built X3.

A far more high-volume brand, Hyundai always has models on the quickest selling list, leading industry observers to constantly question when Hyundai will build another U.S. plant. Hyundai has said it is increasing production at its Alabama plant. In addition to the Veloster, the Elantra and Accent, both redesigned this year, made the list of quick sellers.

Subaru's BRZ was joined by the revamped Impreza on the list. Brisk Impreza sales combined with the addition of the BRZ likely will propel Subaru to yet-another record year for sales, estimated by Subaru to come in at 320,000 vehicles in 2012. The revamped Honda CR-V, which was May's best-selling compact sport utility, made the list. And hardly new, the quirky Kia Soul, which has been selling at a pace of more than 10,000 a month, rounded out the Top 20.

No models from Detroit automakers made the top 20 list of fastest-selling vehicles in May.

Old 06-22-12, 02:51 PM
LexFather

The ILX sales goal is 40,000 a year, which is 3,333 a month. Seeing it on the fastest selling cars list is shocking since the big Acura forum has literally only 1 person claiming to own it after 30 days on the market (May22-June 22). Then the 1 guy that owns it might have gotten it from Acura since its the guy doing some youtube videos etc.

To me that is more of a telling sign than this chart. This car is cheap, aimed at the younger generation who use the internet etc and in a month only one person owns it online? If you look at the GS forum for instance, this is a car costing 2-3 times as much and people were claiming ownership before the car was even officially on sale.

In regards to the FRS/BRZ from my contacts the manuals have a waiting list and automatics are the ones having a tougher sell but they still leave within a week or two. Funny to hear brands say "no more manuals, people don't want' and here are two cars with waiting lists for them.

The Kia Soul is a Hamster hit!

Old 06-22-12, 03:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

sick, these lists should be adjusted for the fact that some models are brand new.... so quite often, they are meaningless.
Old 06-25-12, 04:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
sick, these lists should be adjusted for the fact that some models are brand new.... so quite often, they are meaningless.
You are correct. The lists always seem to include truly hot cars and some mind-boggling "hot" cars.

Was curious to see things broken down, yall enjoy Based many of these on price.....Lacross was tricky as it starts around 27k I think...a lot include coupes....

Meh except the Regal
Verano 3,609
Regal 2,550
ILX 168

New A3 coming and with more varients, luxury hatches
CT 1,549
A3 629

This class is mixed b/c many start under 30k and end under 40k and some start at 32k and end at damn near 70-100k (C black series). Genesis includes 24k coupes so not included, skews the numbers.
Cclass 6,649
3series 6,321
Chrylser 300-6,101
LaCrosse 5,663
G25/37 5,195
CTS 4,161
TL 3,262
A4 3,058
ES 2,937
TSX 2,880
IS 2,656
MKZ 2,458
1series 628

Easy to quantify though E class includes coupes
5 series 6,102
E-class 5,576
GS 1,996
A6 1,693
MKS 1,128
M35/37/56 866
RL 50

4 door coupes (these sales are NOT insignificant at all, these are solid sellers)
A7-792
CLS-743
6 Grand Coupe (not sure will they separate sales)

Easy
7 series- 1,169
S-class- 1,022
Panamera-751
A8 528-
LS 459
Eqqus-351

Cute Utes 35-50k....X1 comes next month
RDX- 3,301
X3- 2,460
Q5- 2,332
GLK- 2,133
EX- 298

Mid size 40k-60k plus
RX-10,647
Enclave -6,709
MDX -4,841
SRX -3,900
X5- 3,730
M-class -3,198
JX- 2,678
MKX 2,197
Cayenne-1,174
Q7-919
GX- 808
Tourag-700
FX-561

Amazing how well the older more expensive X6 is selling and how terrible the cheaper newer ZDX is
X6- 749
ZDX- 84

Last edited by LexFather; 06-25-12 at 05:04 PM.