Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Wait is Over: the Lexus ISF CCS-R Arrives in the USA!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 11:03 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
from what i heard, the car performs pretty damn sweet on the track. i can't wait to see it
Yes a stripped out race car with all racing equipment with zero creature comforts would performs good on the track.
Old 06-07-12, 11:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes a stripped out race car with all racing equipment with zero creature comforts would performs good on the track.
Not feeling good today eh? You think other cars in club racing are actually full of feature comforts or what? :-)

Once again point of CCR is that you remove unnecessary weight but try to keep the car as much stock as possible.

What they mean by "it handles well" is this:

Last edited by spwolf; 06-07-12 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 11:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Henry, what does the P stand for in CCS-P?
Old 06-07-12, 12:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Not feeling good today eh? You think other cars in club racing are actually full of feature comforts or what? :-)

Once again point of CCR is that you remove unnecessary weight but try to keep the car as much stock as possible.
haha......actually I am feeling great today, so I am in aggressive mode. Sorry to everyone if what I said sounded negative
Old 06-07-12, 01:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Henry, what does the P stand for in CCS-P?
i forgot where but somehow i recall the word "pace" as in pace car, but let me try to dig in more

edit: got words, p stands for "parts", as in build with ccs-r inspired parts

Last edited by rominl; 06-07-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 05:22 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Love the orange one. Would be nice to see Lexus introduce that shade of orange or similar for a production IS-F.
Old 06-07-12, 05:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GFerg
Love the orange one. Would be nice to see Lexus introduce that shade of orange or similar for a production IS-F.
yeah i actually think this orange looks pretty good
Old 06-08-12, 05:20 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i forgot where but somehow i recall the word "pace" as in pace car, but let me try to dig in more

edit: got words, p stands for "parts", as in build with ccs-r inspired parts
Lol doubt if that would've ever been guessed but makes sense, thanks
Old 06-10-12, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/l...eak-2012-06-07

Lexus Pikes Peak racer revealed

Humans. We're a funny old bunch, if you consider our predicament. A species so seemingly at ease with its mortality, we fashion 1,400kg, 400bhp firecrackers to race up 14,000ft mountains. For fun.

Welcome, Internet, to the Lexus IS-F CCS-R. It is a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive merchant of orangey-oversteer, and is set to participate in this year's annual ‘race to the clouds' that is the Pikes Peaks International Hillclimb. Lexus has revealed its barest, most naked statistics, and we shall gleefully regale them for your delectation.

So, that engine: it's the standard IS-F's 5.0-litre V8, weighing in at 416bhp and 371lb ft of torque, featuring exciting direct-to-cylinder injection! It's mounted up front, powering the rear wheels, and gets an eight-speed sports auto with paddle shifts.

Gallery: Lexus IS-F CCS-R

It gets a reinforced monocoque with an integrated roll cage, a carbon fibre bonnet, front wings, front and rear spoiler and even CF door handles. The windows are polycarbonate and even the doors are lightweight. As such, the whole thing measures in at 1400kg - 330kg lighter than the IS-F. For some reference, the road-going IS-F hits 62mph in 4.8 seconds and tops out at 168mph.

Racing brakes with stainless steel hoses sit underneath 18in alloys, and they're kept in a tempestuous relationship with the road via modified race suspension with reinforced bushings and mounts. There's also a racing exhaust. And it's orange.

You probably guessed much of this spec, what with Pikes being a ‘competition' and everything, but we wanted to give you some idea of the knuckle-duster effect the IS-F is packing. It'll be driven in the Exhibition class by Californian rookie Ken Gushi, who will ostensibly spend the entire 12.4 mile race trying not to fall off the edge. Not sure what we're on about? Settle down, grab a cuppa and enjoy the glory that is Ari Vatanen powersliding up Pikes in 1988, below...
Old 06-10-12, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Awesome Lexus!

Old 06-11-12, 02:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Just use the same concept for the GS-F (intensive weight reduction with CF ) but keep the luxury interior and sound deadening intact, add a trick AWD, 600+ hp and we're good.
Old 06-11-12, 09:38 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-11-12, 01:27 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Posted by Lexus on Facebook this morning... !!!

Does it sound as good as it looks? Hear how the IS-F CCS-R performs on its first test run in the U.S.

First Test Run of the ISF CCS-R
  • Hear Brian Smith, VP Lexus Marketing, discuss the engine and modifications to the ISF CCS-R in preparation for Pikes Peak International Hill Climb on July 8. Listen to the powerful engine during its first test run in the U.S.

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Old 06-11-12, 01:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow ~ First Test Run of the Pikes Peak Lexus IS-F CCS-R ~

~ First Test Run of the Pikes Peak Lexus IS-F CCS-R ~

from this past weekend...

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Also, Ken Gushi (Driver) was at Pikes Peak this past weekend w/Lexus USA, actually getting some test runs in, on the Hill..!!!!

Awesome News for sure..!!!

Instagram Photos by "kengushi"

Twitter Photo

~ Joe Z
Old 06-15-12, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Thank you to Joe Z for posting this update in the ISF forum!

************************************************************************************************************

via Lexus News Magazine

6/14/2012 -
In just a few short weeks, Lexus’ IS F CCS-R racecar will enter the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, a grueling competition where drivers power up to the summit of Pikes Peak through more than 150 tight, steep turns, gaining nearly 5,000 feet of elevation along the way.

It’s no race for timid drivers, which is why we wanted to get to know the talented man behind the wheel for Lexus—pro-drifter Ken Gushi—who was more than happy to tell Lexus Enthusiast editor Kevin Watts what it takes to tackle this mountain:

Q: You’re no stranger to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb—back in 2007 you had quite an adventure.

A: Yes, it was my first Pikes Peak experience, and my dad was the co-driver. We competed in the Open class, and qualified third in the class. We were pretty excited to take on the hill, but on race day, about three miles into the climb, we miscalculated Engineer’s Corner at about 90 miles an hour and flew off the mountain.

Q: You came out of that unharmed?

A: A few sore muscles, but relatively unharmed. It was still low enough in elevation that the drop-off wasn’t too intense.

Q: You were the youngest driver ever in the D1 Grand Prix in Japan and the Formula Drift Championship in the USA—could you share some of your racing history?

A: My father taught me the basics of car control when I was 13.

Nothing like starting early...

Initially, the plan was to pursue a career in rally racing, but it was expensive. At the time, drifting was the new thing, so we started competing in the local drifting events in the L.A. region—just small scale private events where a bunch of locals would come out and practice. When I was about fifteen, I entered my first actual competition and finished in the top three. That’s when I figured we could make something out of this, so my dad invested the money to build me a better drift car. In 2005, I was picked up for my first major sponsorship deal.

Q: So then, how did this opportunity to race the Lexus IS F CCS-R come about?

A: When I was first approached, I didn’t know any details at the time, but I said that I would definitely love to do it—I wanted to tackle the mountain again after not finishing last time. I was told that Lexus wanted to use a drift driver to pilot the IS F CCS-R that was on its way from Japan, and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.

Q: Do you have a co-driver this time?

A: No, my plan is to go up a week before the race and do as many reconnaissance laps as I can. I want to memorize the road this time—the course has 156 corners, so I’ll be spending a lot of time driving.

Q: I know you had some practice runs this past weekend—what do you think about the car so far?

A: The car is really fun to drive—and you can definitely feel that some weight has been shaved off the stock IS F. The IS F CCS-R has more than 400 horsepower, but up the mountain in those high elevations, a driver can lose a lot of horsepower in the higher rpm range.

Q: How are you going to compensate for that?

A: We’re discussing the option of installing an air fuel controller to pull out some more horsepower, and maybe messing around with the gearing on the transmission.

Q: What are some of the other differences in the IS F CCS-R racecar?

A: The CCS-R of course feels like a racecar. The interior’s gutted with the roll cage and race instrument cluster, the exhaust note is completely different, and the seat position is different. But the interesting thing is that you can really see how much engineering work comes from the stock IS F—the shift feel, the power.

Q: Final question—what are your expectations for the race?

A: We’re competing in the exhibition class, and I can say we’re pretty confident that we’ll be first in our class.

That’s exactly the thing we all like to hear, best of luck to you in the race!

A: Thanks! The car feels great—I’m sure we’ll have a good time on the mountain.

—INTERVIEW BY KEVIN WATTS

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: The Wait is Over: the Lexus ISF CCS-R Arrives in the USA!