Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Old 12-15-14, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
  • VIN Decoder
    Important information to help you understand your Lexus

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Lexus VIN decode

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 02:52 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Lexus VIN decode

I posted this on the RX forum, but I figured that if what I'm looking for exists, it's probably valid for all Lexus cars, so here goes...

Is there any website which gives the VIN decode for these cars, showing the original options?
I'm aware of something like that for Mercedes cars, but couldn't find one for Lexus yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-12, 01:21 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Just wondering, does the absence of replies mean that nobody knows, or that what I'm looking for doesn't exist?
If the latter, I'd appreciate if someone could confirm, just to stop searching...
Old 06-05-12, 01:58 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Found several via google when I was looking for the same thing a few weeks ago, but not all appear complete or current. I gave up trying to find something I thought was truly useful and complete through at least 2012 models. This one goes through MY2006. Perhaps it will help with what you're looking for. http://www.vehicleidentificationnumb...lexus-car.html

Last edited by BertL; 06-05-12 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-05-12, 11:46 PM
sangomaru
Driver

Using the link from the previous post, you can decipher the VIN

1st Character - Country
2nd Character - Manufacturer Code
3rd Character - Vehicle Type
4th Character - Body Type
5th Character - Engine Code
6th Character - Restraint Devices & Location
7th Character - Series
8th Character - Line/Make
9th Character - Check Digit
10th Character - Model Year
11th Character - Plant of Manufacture Code
12th - 17th Characters - Production Sequence Number/Serial Number
Old 06-06-12, 04:28 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Thanks folks, I checked the consistency with the VIN of the car I'm interested in, and it seems ok.
Actually, I was hoping to have much more details. As I said, with Mercedes Benz cars, I used some websites which give many specific details, like all the original options which were ordered with the car, the Country where it was delivered, etc.
But the above is better than nothing anyway!
Old 06-06-12, 05:25 AM
BertL
Racer

It seems some of the VIN information is standard across brands and a few of the positions are up for more specific use by each manufacturer. Anyway, if you want to find all the options on a car that were installed by Lexus itself, they should be available with a VIN search on TIS (https://techinfo.toyota.com). TIS is the same system used by Lexus Service. Besides access to all service information, manuals, etc for all vehicles, the VIN search showed me each of the features and packages installed on my car. Access is not free, a 2-day pass will cost you 15 bucks.
Old 06-06-12, 03:22 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BertL
if you want to find all the options on a car that were installed by Lexus itself, they should be available with a VIN search on TIS (https://techinfo.toyota.com). TIS is the same system used by Lexus Service. Besides access to all service information, manuals, etc for all vehicles, the VIN search showed me each of the features and packages installed on my car. Access is not free, a 2-day pass will cost you 15 bucks.
Thanks BertL, that's exactly what I was looking for.
Otoh, in the meantime I finalised the purchase, and I'm thinking to bring the car to a Lexus dealer for the next service, so I'll check directly with them. After all, it was just a matter of curiosity...

Btw, I always made the routine maintenance of all my previous cars, but I have no hybrid experience, so I'm figuring that it's worth playing safe... What do you think, am I too careful?
After all, I don't think the electrical side of the propulsion (which is the one on which I have no experience whatsoever) should require any special maintenance, or does it? The car is a 2008 MY, and has a bit less than 40 thousands miles...
Old 06-06-12, 03:32 PM
BertL
Racer

I assume you have purchased a 2008 RX400h. If so, that's a second generation vehicle, and you should probably read through and post your questions about it in the RX Second Generation forum here on Club Lexus. The "Car Chat" section you are in now is for general topics and even non Lexus brands. Anyway, I have owned my 2006 RX400h since 2005 and have had no issues with the hybrid system. I do keep it maintained appropriately, but it's been flawless. Taking your new vehicle to the dealer to have it checked over is probably a great idea though, if the former owner cannot provide you with the service records. Go over to the RX Forums and you'll find a wealth of information and people that can assist you. Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 06-06-12, 10:24 PM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Yes, exactly. It's a RX400h, and it does have a service history.
I'm glad to hear that yours has been flawless even if it's a earlier year.
I read of a recall for the inverter of some 2006 cars (though covered by warranty, as I understand).
I take your point re. the more appropriate forum, I'll read through that in more detail as soon as I have time.
Actually, that's where I started, but I figured that the VIN question was more generic...
Old 06-07-12, 04:31 AM
BertL
Racer

Congrats on your "new" RX400h. Yes, I've had a couple of more recent recalls, but no problem in my opinion -- not a major safety flaw putting me in danger, Lexus stood behind their first hybrid that was 6 years old, I got a RX450h loaner for the day, and a full tank of gas when I picked up my RX400h that was like new once again.

Welcome to the Lexus hybrid family. See you in the RX forums!
Old 01-19-16, 04:04 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Tuesday

Here's another good resource...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/h...the-vin-is-in/
Old 01-19-16, 05:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ holy thread bump
Old 01-21-16, 08:51 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There's a VIN Decoder under the Tools menu at the top of this page.