Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I'm a bit unhappy with my Lexus service dept today

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 06:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I'm a bit unhappy with my Lexus service dept today

Took a 1500 mile round trip and the rotors warped.Had some steering wheel shake on medium to hard braking.
Called my service advisor and he said bring it in.They'll cut the rotors.
I said I want new rotors.He followed with they just cut them.
Before I went to Lexus service I called Lexus Customer service and was told that's the procedure but she could notify another Lexus dept but it can take some time for an answer.
It's not really a big deal to me because I don't keep a car long so a brake job cut isn't a worry.
It's just that the car has 2K miles on it and it should have new rotors installed.
The cut rotor will be thinner and will warp even sooner.
Old 06-05-12, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

brakes are a wear item. lexus isn't under any obligation to replace them. don't know if you descended some big long hills (can definitely warp rotors).
grinding the rotors to make them smooth again is fine usually. most cars never wear out the rotors (pads go of course).
Old 06-05-12, 06:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
brakes are a wear item. lexus isn't under any obligation to replace them. don't know if you descended some big long hills (can definitely warp rotors).
grinding the rotors to make them smooth again is fine usually. most cars never wear out the rotors (pads go of course).
Bit,I understand that about brake pads but rotors warping isn't really wear item and I'm at 2K miles.
Did a couple medium to a bit hard stops (no panic stops) at around 80 MPH (70 MPH speed limit) which I believe caused the warping.
Not a big deal but I feel the rotors should be replaced.The cut rotors being a bit thinner probably can warp even easier.
Old 06-05-12, 10:12 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

funny thing is that mercedes will never resurface a rotor for the reasons you list. They will always change out the rotor, on your dime of course.

Because you only have 2000 miles, I would expect new rotors too...
Old 06-05-12, 10:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
funny thing is that mercedes will never resurface a rotor for the reasons you list. They will always change out the rotor, on your dime of course.

Because you only have 2000 miles, I would expect new rotors too...
I talked to a Lexus customer service rep that is the policy but she could pass it on to a I don't remember what department but it would take time for an answer on new rotors.
I'd go that route but I don't keep a vehicle long.It's just I can't believe I can't get new rotors.
Cutting will just make the rotors more susceptible to warping.
Old 06-05-12, 10:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

I had the rotors and brake pads replaced under warranty on the 330 at 15K miles due to defect. Problem's with your dealer Joeb
Old 06-05-12, 10:22 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times will you share the same info in your posts? We read it the first time. I'm sure you told the service manager the same thing 5 times like he couldn't hear you either.
Old 06-05-12, 10:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by excluesive
How many times will you share the same info in your posts? We read it the first time. I'm sure you told the service manager the same thing 5 times like he couldn't hear you either.
Twice.On the phone and at the dealership.
Maybe CL has an ignore feature ...use it or just don't read my posts.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-05-12 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 10:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitlz
I had the rotors and brake pads replaced under warranty on the 330 at 15K miles due to defect. Problem's with your dealer Joeb
Could be as the dealer could have taken the hit and did the right thing but it's policy.
I also think Lexus service was more customer friendly a few years ago.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-05-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 10:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Took a 1500 mile round trip and the rotors warped.Had some steering wheel shake on medium to hard braking.
Called my service advisor and he said bring it in.They'll cut the rotors.
I said I want new rotors.He followed with they just cut them.
Before I went to Lexus service I called Lexus Customer service and was told that's the procedure but she could notify another Lexus dept but it can take some time for an answer.
It's not really a big deal to me because I don't keep a car long so a brake job cut isn't a worry.
It's just that the car has 2K miles on it and it should have new rotors installed.
The cut rotor will be thinner and will warp even sooner.
I argued the same thing with my old SA at Bell Lexus ( the worst Lexus dealer in the world imho).. He said that he would evaluate them and let me know. I argued a little but he didnt budge. In the end the resurfaced them and they have been fine. Should be ok
Old 06-05-12, 10:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I argued the same thing with my old SA at Bell Lexus ( the worst Lexus dealer in the world imho).. He said that he would evaluate them and let me know. I argued a little but he didnt budge. In the end the resurfaced them and they have been fine. Should be ok
Funny thing is my dealer has a bad rep too but I've been happy after a few purchases and services until today..
I think Anita (Kitlz) would agree on this dealers rep.
Old 06-05-12, 11:05 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Cutting will just make the rotors more susceptible to warping.
Not really, not at the speeds and conditions under normal driving. It'll be barely noticeable.

The reason Mercedes doesn't cut rotors is due to the high speeds and conditions they expect the car to go through. Its just the way they view things. If I remember right, BMW has a similar policy.
Old 06-05-12, 11:14 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
What's the need for making such *** statements???? This is one of the reasons why I don't come to CLUBLEXUS forum anymore.... it has gone down hill a big time. It's the people ruining the forum..

This is actually a good thread.

The key to this thread is: Lexus dealerships NOT following customer's REQUEST. This is a big problem we face today on earth.

I brought my hot *** '11 F-Sport IS350 in to the lexus service dept. The car has only 3000 miles on it. Lexus lady came to greet me. I said I want just an oil changed (oil filter too of course), no need to wash (cause I have superman custom job with clear bra and the car is retarded clean in and out) and DON'T mess with my tire pressure.....

After an hour I was told the car is ready. I looked in the invoice and says the first 5000 mile service has been performed, at no cost. This means tire rotation has been done too. I don't want tire rotation. I don't need them to check on anything else. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I asked for oil change and the Lexus service rep didn't follow my cool direction.

This is pretty ghey.....

Just like the OP's problem here, they are not following customer's request. This is wronggggggggg....................

You told them to change the oil and they did the freebie 5K service with tire rotation.
With 3K miles,they should have told they were doing the 5K service.

A service tidbit...
Decided to have a setting changed after seeing my neighbor's Lexus windows and sunroof open in a light drizzle because he somehow sat on his key fob or something.I asked my SA to eliminate that feature on my key fob.
He said he would check but he believes now they have to add that feature..

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-05-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 12:33 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Just picked up the ES and the braking is smooth.All 4 rotors were cut to make sure all rotors were true.
Old 06-05-12, 01:03 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The amount of material they shave off the rotor is so minute that it's not going to affect how fast they may or may not warp a second time. Manufacturer's stamp the amount of thickness a rotor must have in order to be used safely.

Make sure your rims are free of debris and you should also loosen and re-tighten and torgue your lug nuts (according to spec) if you want some more confidence that your rotors will last. Often the wheels are the most prevalent cause of rotor warping.

they are making them lighter and thinner these days, they are going to be more prone to warping but also pretty preventable with some maintenance.

Not sure it's any cause to be unhappy with your service, they didn't do anything different than anyone else would've told you imo.

Quick Reply: I'm a bit unhappy with my Lexus service dept today