Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Camaro ZL1 lines up against Ford Shelby GT500 on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 01:58 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to throw this up there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=169JFXbccBs
Old 06-13-12, 03:38 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05EX
^ that's just the Boss 302. The GT500 has an extra 218hp
Old 06-13-12, 03:42 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

wow...absolutely astound #'s for the Shelby!
Old 06-14-12, 04:55 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
^ that's just the Boss 302. The GT500 has an extra 218hp
Yes I know what it is, I threw it up there to show the Zl1 getting out run by the Boss therefore running it in GT500 would not even be worth the Gas or rubber at the track of course
Old 06-15-12, 04:18 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 05EX
Not argueing with you you either and didnt mean to turn it into one. Hell i own an LS2 powered GTO right now and owned a C5Corvette with an LS1 now and yes they can make great and insane amounts of power i've owned several of both camps in the past. Yes both will take to mods greatly. But the Ford hands down will best the Chevy as it sits mod for mod. As the Chevy to out gun the Ford will need to have the motor pulled and have forged guts put in to get insane power where as the ford is already there. Lets look at previous GT500 that are running huge Kenne bell or Whipple superchargers or TT's or Ford GT's essentially same motors there are plenty well over 1000hp hell quite a few Ford GT's in the 1500hp zone from Heffner performance and I hate to say this name but that Texas tuner that are putting out insane power on factory stock long blocks. Your just not gonna do that on a factory stock LS motor without tearing it down and doing forged rotating assembly and and head work it's not cheap i've been down that road.
Per www.gmpowertrain.com ....

The LSA engine (ZL1/CTSV) has forged steel crank and nodular iron main bearing caps, forged powder metal rods, pistons not forged.

The LS9 engine (ZR1) has forged steel crank and main bearing caps, forged titanium rods, and forged pistons.

So the LSA does have forged innards. It's just not as forged as the LS9 is.

Originally Posted by Bean
The pushrod is less efficient just because the DOHC heads can flow more air. There IS a replacement for displacement, it's called airflow. There's no reason that a pushrod can't also flow that amount of air, but since it's a pushrod with no variable valve tech, it will idle terribly unless the engine is very large (like the LS7) and not be good as a daily driver. All while the DOHC purs like a kitten. This isn't an opinion and not up for debate, it's a fact.

Take a look at what the Coyote motor is doing to the LS3 in Mustang vs Camaro land. I giggle a bit when an SS tries to race me. I'm srs bsns when a 5.0 does. (I've seen enough basic modded ones trap 116-117 to realize that I might get beat).

There's a shop that already has the 2013 GT500 with simple bolt-ons (a pulley and an intake and a tune)running 10.0s at 141mph (yes, that's ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY miles per hour trap speed). It took Leigenfelter doing >$10k in mods to a new ZL1 to get it to run high 10s at 132ish. This battle is over and pushrods lost. We'll have to wait for the GM answer to the Coyote motor tech, and they'd better not release another pushrod as Ford still hasn't added direct injection nor made a high performance version of this engine.
I don't think it's really fair to compare the LSA to the GT500 engine and declare that "pushrods have lost" when GM is obviously holding back a bit on that engine. The engine to compare with is the LS9 in the ZR1. GM has higher level performance products here such as the CTS-V and the ZR1, whereas Ford does not. The Mustang is it right now.

Pushrod engines are not "inefficient". GM has a decades long history of making some of the most powerful and EFFICIENT performance engines on the planet, and they've been pushrods! Yes they're a little less efficient at producing maximum torque at high RPMs aka peak horsepower than a 4-valve DOHC, but you're not really talking about overall "engine efficiency" here. That's just one of many ways to measure an engine. When I think about engine efficiency I'm thinking more along the lines of BSFC. Horsepower-per-liter isn't efficiency.

Anyhow I'm pleased to see Ford with such a great performance machine. GM has been at the top for too long. Although they haven't exactly been sitting on their laurels, more and better competition is always a good thing. What are the odds GM will drop the LSA after a year or two and just put the LS9 in the ZL1 and tweak the power up a bit?

Last edited by SteVTEC; 06-15-12 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-15-12, 09:15 PM
LexFather

I love both so much!

Old 06-15-12, 10:34 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love mustangs and camaros. I'm a Chevy fan but street raced mustangs when i was younger. But really, i would never pay more than 30-35k for either car. They are supposed to be all about cheap power and then working on them yourself. For 60-70k, i would rather have a Corvette, a used Porsche, or anything else. Impressive power, absolutely, but it's still a mustang.