Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Patent application shows BMW working on seven-speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 07:49 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
A 7-speed must be a lot of shifting. I've only driven a 5 speed though, and I can't imagine needing more gears than that.
Drive more cars then I can't imagine having less than 6 gears anymore.
Old 06-09-12, 05:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Drive more cars then I can't imagine having less than 6 gears anymore.
Of course, I'm stuck with a 4 speed auto....which is archaic in today's world. I really miss rowing my own gears, but I'm stuck in this car for the long term
Old 06-10-12, 10:31 AM
LexFather

Good move.. Manuals need to evolve to survive.

Old 06-10-12, 04:34 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a guy who drives a 6MT, I can't see much benefit from the 7th. Particularly with a manual clutch system, it quickly approaches a point where the additional acceleration provided by the closer gear ratios is offset by the additional time required to shift. My car is only a 2.5L and I don't want my gears even closer than they are. If anything I'd like 6th gear spaced farther out. Unless BMW plans to start making cars with a narrower power band than the S2000 it just seems silly. Maybe they need Autobahn passing gears? Eh, let them build it. It should at least be a fun engineering project.
Old 06-11-12, 03:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha anyways, I just read a bit on the patent application of BMW and so far, here's what their thinking so-far.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11206074...igns-uncovered

BMW's design proposal acknowledges that automated transmissions have a clear advantage in terms of efficiency due to their wider range of gear ratios. However, BMW is looking to bring the manual transmission up to par by adding 7, 8 or even 9 gears. In doing so, safety problems have emergeg such as incorrect gear selection which causes the engine to over-rev or stall. BMW's solution is to use a gear shift mechanism that only allows shifts that are within an allowed range to be executed. Technically speaking, this would be implemented by having the shifter gates surrounded by a magnetorheologic or electrorheologic fluid. Monitored by various sensors, a magnetic field or electric voltage applied to the fluid would change its viscosity, physically preventing or allowing certain gears to be engaged.
"The technology can be used on a traditional manual transmission with up to 8 gears. The driver rows his own gears as usual (and uses a clutch pedal), but the computerized shifting module described above allows the driver to shift into proper gears while blocking dangerous gears, thus avoiding mechanical over-revs (the "money shift") for a manual transmission with so many gears," according to the design proposal.

Aside from that BMW also thought of a second application mating retaining H-manual shifting functionality........but this time using "SHIFT BY WIRE" technology.

BMW also envisions this technology for a second application called "Shift by Wire." Combining the best of both worlds, Shift by Wire completely omits the clutch pedal. Think of it as an SMG sequential gear box but with the traditionally gated manual gear shift lever possibly up to 9 speeds.
So such a prospect would still feature tradition H-manual shifting......but this time, due to "Shift By Wire" technology, there won't be any clutch pedal.

I imagine something like this would be easier for beginner drivers and learners who have a hard time using 1st and reverse gears especially on uphills (where throttle modulation is required between clutch and gas/accelerator pedals).

Something like that.

What are your thoughts guys?
Old 06-11-12, 05:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

I love the money shift-blocking gate for the 3-pedal manual. I think it's a great idea and would buy a 7-8 speed manual with it.

An SMG with an H-pattern seems to me to combine the negatives of both transmission types. You lose the optional automation and shift paddles of a traditional SMG, but don't get any of the advantages that a clutch pedal provides. Do not want.