Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

To every person I meet who finds out I ride a motorcycle:

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 02:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
which post?
I would think since he has bikes listed on his signature that he feels the same way as the OP
Old 06-07-12, 03:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 362 Posts

Good one.

I was just thinking of curbside sitting. Just out the view is the CHP motor officer writing up a speeding ticket.
Old 06-07-12, 03:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I have low respect for sport bike riders because they have low respect for others. It's as simple as that, you get what you put in. Here are a few quick examples:

1) The majority of the ones I see drive like jerks, speeding, cutting in and out of lanes, and all around acting reckless. Seems like a double-standard, as cars get tickets for these moves.

2) The gentleman revving his sport bike to redline at 2 in the morning below my balcony and waking me up each night needs to be pushed off the end of the earth.

3) The gentleman racing his loud pipe Harley at 4 in the morning, setting off car alarms below my balcony, also needs to run over the edge of the Santa Monica Pier.

I respect the OP's comments, but it is very very easy for others to dis bikers, based on their own poor actions. If you want respect, gather up all your biker friends in the country and convince them to drive respectfully and lawfully.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 06-07-12 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 03:44 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I have low respect for sport bike riders because they have low respect for others. It's as simple as that, you get what you put in. Here are a few quick examples:

1) The majority of the ones I see drive like jerks, speeding, cutting in and out of lanes, and all around acting reckless. Seems like a double-standard, as cars get tickets for these moves.

2) The gentleman revving his sport bike to redline at 2 in the morning below my balcony and waking me up each night needs to be pushed off the end of the earth.

3) The gentleman racing his loud pipe Harley at 4 in the morning, setting off car alarms below my balcony, also needs to run over the edge of the Santa Monica Pier.

I respect the OP's comments, but it is very very easy for others to dis bikers, based on their own poor actions. If you want respect, gather up all your biker friends in the country and convince them to drive respectfully and lawfully.

But that's not a motorcycle-only issue. Car enthusiasts have the same problem.

At every car meet, there is one guy (if not many) who do high revs, burn outs, blast their sound systems, and illuminate the night with HID+LED+stobes.

And although you don't respect certain riders/drivers, you do join and respect the enthusiasts who share the same passion as you do.

If only we could convince all auto enthusiasts, including ClubLexus members, to drive respectfully and lawfully, then it would be perfect. Alas, we live in an imperfect world...
Old 06-07-12, 05:17 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like this video. and after my accident it's definitely more applicable.

Last edited by Dawa; 06-07-12 at 05:18 PM. Reason: d
Old 06-07-12, 05:51 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice article. I've been vowing to learn how to ride a motorcycle for like 5 years now. maybe one day ill actually get to it.
Old 06-07-12, 06:36 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

Talking Right on!!!

Really well written. As a Lexus enthusiast who also spends time on the ZRXOA forum, for a second I thought I was on my motorcycle forum, not my Lexus forum. There are a lot of jerk motorcycle riders out there who give us all a black eye. As we get more experienced, we realize that the real rewards in motorcycling are not being the loudest, or popping the most wheelies. For me, the real rewards are the sensations of motorcycling, the effortless acceleration, the sound of the motor (I love inline 4's), and completing yet another in a long, long string of safe rides, with no law enforcement involvement.
But the most rewarding sensation is the smoooooothness of a well-tuned machine, running perfectly, every bit working as good as new or better. After all, isn't that why we bought Lexus?
Old 06-07-12, 08:39 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rkyat
Nice article. I've been vowing to learn how to ride a motorcycle for like 5 years now. maybe one day ill actually get to it.
Take the safety course. It is only one class session and two sessions of riding.

I ride AGATT. I do not drink period. I never excessively speed. I wear reflective gear. I cut down my chances of being a statistic significantly to those riders who do not. I still assume cagers never see me or do not care.
Old 06-07-12, 08:56 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by darkdream
Take the safety course. It is only one class session and two sessions of riding.

I ride AGATT. I do not drink period. I never excessively speed. I wear reflective gear. I cut down my chances of being a statistic significantly to those riders who do not. I still assume cagers never see me or do not care.
That whole countersteering push left go left thing has me a bit iffy, lol.
Old 06-08-12, 12:15 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting...
Old 06-08-12, 12:21 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Caught this stand up performance by Katt Williams for the 100th time tonight. Just thought the motorcycle bit was funny

http://youtu.be/LVmSadrNbGw
Old 06-08-12, 12:56 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Caught this stand up performance by Katt Williams for the 100th time tonight. Just thought the motorcycle bit was funny

http://youtu.be/LVmSadrNbGw
That clip never gets old
Old 01-07-15, 09:17 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I had to revive this thread due to a friend who recently got injured while riding a motorcycle.

And, of course, it covers a gamut of emotions on why we do what we love.

It pertains to anyone who loves what they do, whether it's riding motorcycles, racing cars, skydiving, doing martial arts, running with bulls, dating dangerous women, or whatever crazy thing you think is crazy but is not so crazy because you love it...

There's so much great in what we do with passion.

In motorcycling for this example, we know the risks and rewards are high so we sharpen our skills. We develop a heightened sense of awareness and apply that with deep respect to every second between turning the key on and off.

The longer we ride the deeper we understand what an honor it is to twist the throttle and ride our steel thoroughbreds. To ride for as long as I have means to know greatness and to know darkness in this passion of motorcycles.

Whether to have crashed a bike, watched a friend crash, or worst of all to loose a fellow rider, there is definitely a dark side to this passion. It can be devastating, and challenging to undergo, but we raise the spirit of those fallen in memory and allow them to live on through us. If we go down, we lean on those close to us and stand back up to ride again.

What mistakes shape in knowledge we apply in experience.

Last Monday I had a moto accident which left me crippled in the street. All my skills and all my awareness could not have prevented it.

Each day I stand twice as strong as the previous day and it's due to many people that I can share this with you.

I believe sometimes people forget how connected we all are to each other and how deep friendship and love really exists in life. You can't really put your finger on it, but trust me, it's there- rich, vibrant, and full of love- the connections are there.

Life teaches us every second if we care to pay attention and learn. I'm with a deeper understanding tonight of the hidden connections between us and I am so thankful for them.

Life is a journey and I love all of it... It's ups and downs give deeper understanding of its purpose and potential.
Old 01-07-15, 10:36 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
To each his own but I think these facts will shed light on where the comments come from. Like the other member said they only make comments because they care about you.

http://trafficsafety.org/safety/shar...ies-fatalities
Motorcycle Crash Facts
Motorcyclist Fatalities Increase
Motorcycles are the most dangerous type of motor vehicle to drive. These vehicles are involved in fatal crashes at a rate of 35.0 per 100 million miles of travel, compared with a rate of 1.7 per 100 million miles of travel for passenger cars.

Annual Motorcycle Crash Data to Download
Traffic Safety Facts 2006: Motorcycle, NHTSA
Sources for Facts About Motorcycling
Costs of Injuries Resulting fromMotorcycle Crashes:A Literature Review, NHTSA at http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/p...le/Motorcycle_ HTML/index.html
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety at www.iihs.org.
Insurance Information Institute at www.iii.org.
The Motorcycle Industry Council at www.mic.org.
U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...d7975d55e8abbe 089ca8e410dba046a0/
This is like publishing stats about the ivy league schools and claiming they "produce" intelligent people. Fact is only intelligent people get admitted to the ivy league [exceptions are always there ] and there is no surprise that intelligent people come out of them.

Fact is freedom loving people drive motorcycles in this country. Freedom equates to a lot of things including the freedom to be brave and stupid.

The same stats will not hold true in a country where motorcycles are the primary means of travel, and are used just as such. Eg. China, India, etc.
Old 01-07-15, 01:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 424 Likes on 327 Posts

This past year was by far the least I have ever ridden my bike. I put on less than 1000 miles. There were a couple factors, and one of them was the increasing use of cell phones by drivers.

When I started riding in the early 1970's the greatest fear was drunk drivers, particularly on Friday and Saturday evenings. Now drunk drivers are not nearly the problem they used to be. However, idiots driving while holding their cell phone to their ear are a serious problem at any time of the day, any day of the week.

Quick Reply: To every person I meet who finds out I ride a motorcycle: