Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 07:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
LED DRLs from Audi, LED headlights from Lexus.

Lexus and Audi use both.
I seriously doubt you will actually see the Accord with LED headlights...LED DRL yes, but not headlights.
Old 08-09-12, 07:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I seriously doubt you will actually see the Accord with LED headlights...LED DRL yes, but not headlights.
there is optional LED lighting package in 2013 Accord which has LED headlights, hence the discussion.
Old 08-09-12, 08:41 AM
LexFather

And again its going to sell, safe sells, the Accord has a legion of fans and this seems like a nice improvement. What I didn't realize was the Altima outsold it last year according to the article. The design is safe and looks very similar to last, just like Toyota did with the Camry. That rear does look exactly like the Hyundai Genesis.

This has to go slightly more upscale since the Euro Accord/TSX will be canned after next year and this Accord is sold in Europe. The current Euro-Accord sells very poorly in Europe so makes no sense for two versions. and Honda has been very vocal about the yen hurting profits.

The Prius had LEDs years ago and seems its an option or maybe standard on the EX-L models. I hope they don't start another hot item for thieves ala CL/TL lights of the past. Whats funny are those bashing LEDs and well, now it has them. To add insult to Acura, a Honda Accord has LED DRL's and headlights before any Acura. SMH

The car gains a CVT and looks like Direct Injection, two things some Honda fans were bashing to death. Irony.

Overall this is a hotly contested market and I can't believe how good all these family cars are. The Camry won't be dethroned but the Altima/Accord battle will be a good one to watch.

Old 08-09-12, 09:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This has to go slightly more upscale since the Euro Accord/TSX will be canned after next year and this Accord is sold in Europe.
Not surprising that the TSX is going (though this is the first actual confirmation I've heard of it). I wrote in my recent ILX review that it seems to make little sense for Acura, in the American-market, to sell two compact-to-mid-size FWD sedans right next to each other. Lexus, of course, sells the IS and ES next to each other, but one is a smaller sport-oriented RWD/AWD sedan while the other is family-oriented, FWD, and larger.

The car gains a CVT and looks like Direct Injection, two things some Honda fans were bashing to death. Irony.
I'm not sure the CVT is a good idea either. Many Accord owners have been driving them for years, as repeat-customers, and are used to the 4 and 5-speed automatics. Some CVT's (such as Nissan's) do a good job of driving more or less like conventional automatics, but others make you feel like you are on a motorboat or prone to surging and rubber-banding.

The Camry won't be dethroned but the Altima/Accord battle will be a good one to watch.
All three of them, of course, are up against another formidable competitor...the Sonata.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-12 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 09:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is optional LED lighting package in 2013 Accord which has LED headlights, hence the discussion.
ahh...I missed this photo....(also, I hear LED headlights light output is LESS than HID)

Last edited by bagwell; 08-09-12 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 09:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
ahh...I missed this photo....(also, I hear LED headlights light output is LESS than HID)

Nice to have that option choice which I would choose.
I've read here where someone with the RX hybrid and the LED option has said HIDs have more light output,.
Old 08-09-12, 01:34 PM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the new Fusion as well. IMO, it irrefutably has the best styling in its segment.
Old 08-09-12, 03:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LED lights are basically crap, compared to HIDs. They need to utilize multiple LEDs to have similar output as HID, which increases the area of light source, and they wont have the same throw as HIDs. LEDs are great for flashlight, but headlights are better with HID.
Old 08-09-12, 03:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
LED lights are basically crap, compared to HIDs. They need to utilize multiple LEDs to have similar output as HID, which increases the area of light source, and they wont have the same throw as HIDs. LEDs are great for flashlight, but headlights are better with HID.
i dont think there is a rule of thumb here, technology improves constantly...

btw - doesnt that front of Accord look a lot like weirder GS? It even has predator grille, almost.
Old 08-09-12, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

And again its going to sell, safe sells, the Accord has a legion of fans and this seems like a nice improvement. What I didn't realize was the Altima outsold it last year according to the article. The design is safe and looks very similar to last, just like Toyota did with the Camry. That rear does look exactly like the Hyundai Genesis.

This has to go slightly more upscale since the Euro Accord/TSX will be canned after next year and this Accord is sold in Europe. The current Euro-Accord sells very poorly in Europe so makes no sense for two versions. and Honda has been very vocal about the yen hurting profits.

The Prius had LEDs years ago and seems its an option or maybe standard on the EX-L models. I hope they don't start another hot item for thieves ala CL/TL lights of the past. Whats funny are those bashing LEDs and well, now it has them. To add insult to Acura, a Honda Accord has LED DRL's and headlights before any Acura. SMH

Overall this is a hotly contested market and I can't believe how good all these family cars are. The Camry won't be dethroned but the Altima/Accord battle will be a good one to watch.
hm, are you just assuming this about TSX? Since the Accord design here has no chance of selling anything in Europe. It is very Americanized design and there is no way they will sell that in Europe.
Old 08-09-12, 05:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if some new options are in this thread but I just got a email from my Honda dealer on the new Accord,

The 2013 Accord will debut ingenious new available features, such as Lane Departure Warning (LDW)[1], Forward Collision Warning (FCW)[2] and the Honda-exclusive LaneWatch™ blind spot display[3]. The new Accord also introduces HondaLink™, a cloud-based system that connects you to Bluetooth®[4] Streaming Audio, Pandora® internet radio[5] SMS text message function[6] and all your favorite digital content without hassling with your mobile phone. The available Aha™[7] feature on HondaLink gives you access to personalized restaurant searches, Facebook audio feeds, audiobooks and more via the audio system interface and voice recognition.

[1] Standard on EX-L and above. LDW only alerts drivers when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use. LDW may not detect all lane markings or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road condition. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[2] Standard on EX-L and above. FCW cannot detect all objects ahead and may not detect a given object; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and other factors. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. FCW does not include a braking function. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[3] Standard on EX Sedan and above and EX-L Coupe and above. Display accuracy will vary based on weather, size of object and speed, and the display may not show all relevant traffic. The display is not a substitute for your own direct visual assessment of traffic conditions before changing lanes.

[4] The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Honda Motor Co., Ltd., is under license.

[5] Pandora, the Pandora logo, and the Pandora trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of Pandora Media, Inc. Used with permission. Compatible with select Apple® iPhone® devices only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply.

[6] Compatible with select phones with Bluetooth® only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply. State or local laws may limit use of texting feature. Only use texting feature when conditions allow you to do so safely.

[7] Available on EX Coupe and above and EX-L Sedan and above. Aha, the Aha logo, and the Aha trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of HARMAN International Industries.
Old 08-09-12, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
hm, are you just assuming this about TSX? Since the Accord design here has no chance of selling anything in Europe. It is very Americanized design and there is no way they will sell that in Europe.
Not an assumption, its a done deal. TSX is gone. ILX replaces it lol. TL gets smaller, gets I-4 option, hybrid and the ZF 9 speed.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't know if some new options are in this thread but I just got a email from my Honda dealer on the new Accord,

The 2013 Accord will debut ingenious new available features, such as Lane Departure Warning (LDW)[1], Forward Collision Warning (FCW)[2] and the Honda-exclusive LaneWatch™ blind spot display[3]. The new Accord also introduces HondaLink™, a cloud-based system that connects you to Bluetooth®[4] Streaming Audio, Pandora® internet radio[5] SMS text message function[6] and all your favorite digital content without hassling with your mobile phone. The available Aha™[7] feature on HondaLink gives you access to personalized restaurant searches, Facebook audio feeds, audiobooks and more via the audio system interface and voice recognition.

[1] Standard on EX-L and above. LDW only alerts drivers when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use. LDW may not detect all lane markings or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road condition. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[2] Standard on EX-L and above. FCW cannot detect all objects ahead and may not detect a given object; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and other factors. System operation affected by extreme interior heat. FCW does not include a braking function. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions.

[3] Standard on EX Sedan and above and EX-L Coupe and above. Display accuracy will vary based on weather, size of object and speed, and the display may not show all relevant traffic. The display is not a substitute for your own direct visual assessment of traffic conditions before changing lanes.

[4] The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Honda Motor Co., Ltd., is under license.

[5] Pandora, the Pandora logo, and the Pandora trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of Pandora Media, Inc. Used with permission. Compatible with select Apple® iPhone® devices only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply.

[6] Compatible with select phones with Bluetooth® only. Your wireless carrier's rate plans apply. State or local laws may limit use of texting feature. Only use texting feature when conditions allow you to do so safely.

[7] Available on EX Coupe and above and EX-L Sedan and above. Aha, the Aha logo, and the Aha trade dress are trademarks or registered trademarks of HARMAN International Industries.
Yeah on the Honda site. I just hope base models don't get the shaft on basics like bluetooth.

Old 08-09-12, 10:56 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://automobiles.honda.com/future-...099&FROM=EMAIL
Old 08-10-12, 05:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Not an assumption, its a done deal. TSX is gone. ILX replaces it lol. TL gets smaller, gets I-4 option, hybrid and the ZF 9 speed.

Yeah on the Honda site. I just hope base models don't get the shaft on basics like bluetooth.

True.
According to Edmunds,you have to go for the EX-L for Bluetooth on a '12 Accord.
Looking at the '12 Civic for my son,Bluetooth was with the EX.
Old 08-10-12, 05:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

....I'm sure the plastic wheel covers will look nice

Quick Reply: 2013 Honda Accord