Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 05:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
This is not a photoshop:

Unfortunately it's a real photo of a modern production car.
looks weird but i think it looks good... i like it better than normal version :-)
Old 09-05-12, 07:37 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
looks weird but i think it looks good... i like it better than normal version :-)
Really?! Huh.

To me that just looks like people at Honda (this includes Acura) have simply lost the plot when it comes to exterior design. Not sure if it's the management that is pushing this "styling" or whether the chief designer really thinks this is the way to go. Honestly this is way more bizarre than the Bangle era @ BMW.
Old 09-05-12, 07:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It comes down to if you don't hate Honda,the Accord looks ok.If you hate Honda,there was nothing Honda could do with the design that would appeal to the haters.
Old 09-05-12, 07:53 AM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
This has to be a photoshop as front looks way different from all the picture that has been floating around.
Old 09-05-12, 08:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nvslm
This has to be a photoshop as front looks way different from all the picture that has been floating around.
I agree, the front end does look like it has been photoshop. I think the sedan looks nice and the fit/finish looks great as usual. I still think that's too much hp for a Honda Accord but I guess they got keep up with the times.

Last edited by rogers2; 09-05-12 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-05-12, 08:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Really?! Huh.

To me that just looks like people at Honda (this includes Acura) have simply lost the plot when it comes to exterior design. Not sure if it's the management that is pushing this "styling" or whether the chief designer really thinks this is the way to go. Honestly this is way more bizarre than the Bangle era @ BMW.
I don't know how anyone can argue against this.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It comes down to if you don't hate Honda,the Accord looks ok.If you hate Honda,there was nothing Honda could do with the design that would appeal to the haters.
Not true since most here are fine with the sedan/coupe looks until the hybrid showed up. Lets flip the coin though, what if you love Honda?

"if you love Honda, you will ignore the butt ugly looks most people puke at"

Look Honda/Acura overall has maybe the worst looking vehicle lineup. Period. People buy them. Period. Most here have said the sedan/coupe look fine, not ugly, not beautiful.

This thing?

Old 09-05-12, 09:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't know how anyone can argue against this.

Not true since most here are fine with the sedan/coupe looks until the hybrid showed up. Lets flip the coin though, what if you love Honda?

"if you love Honda, you will ignore the butt ugly looks most people puke at"

Look Honda/Acura overall has maybe the worst looking vehicle lineup. Period. People buy them. Period. Most here have said the sedan/coupe look fine, not ugly, not beautiful.

This thing?

I like Honda and I like Toyota.
However unlike some here,I don't like every model of Toyota/Lexus and only a few Honda/Acura models.Really only 3..The new Accord in the high trim V6 looks nice not the hybrid.The new CR-V and on the Acura side(easy Mike)I just love the new RDX.My neighbor just bought a RDX w/Tech.Really nice.
Old 09-05-12, 09:22 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The "sport" model looks great.

But the plug in model is disgusting
Old 09-05-12, 09:26 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-05-12, 09:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It'll be interesting to see what Toyota does with the Camry V6. The V6 Accord will have 10hp more, but its rated at 34mpg highway where as the Camry is rated at 30mpg. 4mpg is a big difference.
Old 09-05-12, 09:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Motor
Nice review.
My biggest problems with the Accord has been a bit of a harsh ride and road noise.I wonder if those issues were addressed in the '13.
Old 09-05-12, 09:37 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The wheels on the plug-in are laughable.

Like they were taken off of a concept car from 1985. It's the past trying to be futuristic.

This has become common with Honda's lately. I don't get it.
Old 09-05-12, 09:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2013 Honda Accord hits 36 MPG highway

2013 Honda Accord hits 36 MPG highway

Honda has released official Environmental Protection Agency ratings for the 2013 Accord. Base models come equipped with a direct-injection 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine with 185 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque. When mated with a new six-speed manual gearbox, the sedan returns 24 miles per gallon city, 34 mpg highway and 28 mpg combined.

Engineers have also developed a new continuously variable transmission for peak fuel economy. When paired with the CVT, the four-cylinder yields 27 mpg city, 36 mpg highway and 30 mpg combined. Those numbers mark an increase of four mpg city and two mpg highway over the old automatic, but land the Accord behind the 38 mpg of the 2013 Nissan Altima.

While the new direct-injection system and transmissions account for a large portion of that increase, tricks like an electric power steering system and reworked aerodynamics also help. Sport trim bumps power up to 189 hp and 182 lb-ft of torque with no significant fuel economy penalty. Buyers who step into the 278 horsepower 3.5-liter V6 with its 252 lb-ft of torque can look forward to 21 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. That's an increase of one and four mpg, respectively, which helps push the six-cylinder to 25 mpg combined.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/05/2...6-mpg-highway/
Old 09-05-12, 10:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The Hybrid Copied BMW 328 sport front lower bumper!

Yes, and both look like a squirrel eating too many nuts.
Old 09-05-12, 10:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I like Honda and I like Toyota.
However unlike some here,I don't like every model of Toyota/Lexus and only a few Honda/Acura models.Really only 3..The new Accord in the high trim V6 looks nice not the hybrid.The new CR-V and on the Acura side(easy Mike)I just love the new RDX.My neighbor just bought a RDX w/Tech.Really nice.
No one is saying you do. Its not right to try to incite a riot with "Honda haters won't like it" when it seems most everyone is saying the Accord sedan/coupe looks fine. The hybrid front end is another story.

No comment on the RDX

Originally Posted by GSteg
It'll be interesting to see what Toyota does with the Camry V6. The V6 Accord will have 10hp more, but its rated at 34mpg highway where as the Camry is rated at 30mpg. 4mpg is a big difference.
Gsteg this is really odd to me. Seems the best improvements are with the OLD V-6...the MPG ratings and power are very impressive. This also kills the 4-clinder is better/boosted talk again since here is a V-6 model as efficient as many I-4s. I don't know what kind of witchcraft Honda is using on this old *** V-6 but its quite amazing.

Contrarily Honda fanboys hyped up the "Earth Dreams" ALL NEW I-4 (what a ridiculous name) and here is comes out
1. Less hp than the current older competition or on par
2. Less MPG then the current older competition or on par

This is the all-new engine. Its quite perplexing to say the least. Maybe they will revise it for a bump later? Hype led us to believe this was going to be some incredible new class leading engine.

While the hybrid/plug-in looks ridiculous, I am real curious to see MPG ratings. Surely 40MPG should be achievable and maybe they can have a higher rating than Hyundai, Ford, Toyota.

Then it seems the Accord has also lost the sporty suspension for struts like most anyone else. With the Camry SE at least having a revised suspension it will be interesting to see if the Accord is still considered one of the sportier offerings.

Overall though, whats important is the "H" on the hood and for all intents and purposes it seems like a step up from the last model and should sell very well as usual. There are no glaring faults here and while I don't see it beating the Camry I think it will hold its own in its class and not see sales erode to Kia/Hyundai/Ford or anyone else.

Quick Reply: 2013 Honda Accord