Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 03:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's true.. for a car like an Accord, a McPherson strut setup makes more sense.
Makes more sense sure, but that's not what the quote says. More sophisticated than a wishbone setup? Hardly. A strut suspension is about as simple as it gets outside of leaf springs.
Old 09-08-12, 05:29 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
once again, it is due to the cylinder shut-off feature that reduces number of clynders in use to 3 from 6... Lets see what people get in real life, since previously these things didnt work so well.

BUT regardless of that, great job on V6.

However, the fact still is that Camry is 160lbs lighter even in its heaviest form (XLE), so whats there to brag about? Weight is going to suck real life mpg and performance out of any car.
The outgoing 8th gen Accord V6 also used cylinder deactivation, so the difference in mileage is not due to VCM on the 9th gen. In Honda terminology, "i-VTEC" on a SOHC engine means cylinder deactivation. Same bore and stroke on the new V6 also, so it pretty much looks like a warmed over J-series to me.

A quick look at the specs shows that the new 9th gens top gear overall ratio is 20% taller than the 8th gen's top gear. Combine that with a possibly more aggressive cylinder shut-off map and that might explain the difference in mileage. Unfortunately these "cheater" super tall overdrive gears are nearly useless in my area going up and down +/- 100-200ft foothills, and I would never get anywhere close to the rated highway mileage with such an engine, especially with the dismal amount of low-end torque that Honda engines typically have. I'm doing much better lately with DI turbo engines, which can get all the torque they need and still stay in top gear.
Old 09-08-12, 07:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
It's true.. for a car like an Accord, a McPherson strut setup makes more sense. A "great" McPherson design will outperform a "good-enough" double wishbone suspension (see M3, Porsche 911, etc). I'm glad Honda ditched the setup because it means more money will be put into places where it matters more, like standard features. The average driver will not care or know the difference between the two suspension.
It is a much bigger deal and will be more noticeable for a front wheel drive car like the Accord to lose its Double Wishbone Suspension for struts compared to rear wheel drive cars like 911's and M3's having front struts. RWD cars can still be very good handlers with simpler McPherson strut setups up front where it will effect fwd cars much more. The new Accord looks like it will be a home run but it losing its Double Wishbone Suspension is a blow to what many come to expect from a Honda Accord and the way it handles and drives. I have serious doubts it will drive or handle better with struts, if they managed to pull it off good for them but it is doubtful.

Last edited by UDel; 09-08-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-08-12, 07:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The outgoing 8th gen Accord V6 also used cylinder deactivation, so the difference in mileage is not due to VCM on the 9th gen. In Honda terminology, "i-VTEC" on a SOHC engine means cylinder deactivation. Same bore and stroke on the new V6 also, so it pretty much looks like a warmed over J-series to me.

A quick look at the specs shows that the new 9th gens top gear overall ratio is 20% taller than the 8th gen's top gear. Combine that with a possibly more aggressive cylinder shut-off map and that might explain the difference in mileage. Unfortunately these "cheater" super tall overdrive gears are nearly useless in my area going up and down +/- 100-200ft foothills, and I would never get anywhere close to the rated highway mileage with such an engine, especially with the dismal amount of low-end torque that Honda engines typically have. I'm doing much better lately with DI turbo engines, which can get all the torque they need and still stay in top gear.
new one is agressive with 3cly mode, old one had less agressive 4cly mode... I guess we will seen soon enough in the tests, regardless, it is still nice.

But lower weight helps everything, from consumption to performance and since 6 year cycle is long, if you didnt do it now, you might regret it later...
Old 09-08-12, 09:25 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
It is a much bigger deal and will be more noticeable for a front wheel drive car like the Accord to lose its Double Wishbone Suspension for struts compared to rear wheel drive cars like 911's and M3's having front struts. RWD cars can still be very good handlers with simpler McPherson strut setups up front where it will effect fwd cars much more. The new Accord looks like it will be a home run but it losing its Double Wishbone Suspension is a blow to what many come to expect from a Honda Accord and the way it handles and drives. I have serious doubts it will drive or handle better with struts, if they managed to pull it off good for them but it is doubtful.
We're talking about midsize family sedans here, not race cars so the effects are negligible. I'm willing to bet the Accord will handle the same as its predecessor, or maybe even better. What makes double wishbone suspension desirable in sports-oriented cars is the fact that they can hold their camber alignment more steadily as the suspension compresses. In a McPherson setup, your camber can become much more negative during hard turns which will result in less tire contact patch. The vast majority of the Accords being sold will not be driven in such a way that it'll benefit from having a double wishbone.

Remember, the current Camry SE with its McPherson struts drives more sportier than the current Accord SE. When it comes to handling, the type of suspension you have is only a slice of a pie.

Last edited by GSteg; 09-09-12 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-09-12, 12:03 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
new one is agressive with 3cly mode, old one had less agressive 4cly mode... I guess we will seen soon enough in the tests, regardless, it is still nice.

But lower weight helps everything, from consumption to performance and since 6 year cycle is long, if you didnt do it now, you might regret it later...
No the old one had both 3 and 4-cylinder modes also.
Old 09-09-12, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

looks like honda did a good job with the new accord - a major step up. props for going with cvt on 4 cyl models as this is the best way to get fuel economy (vs. fixed cogs and without lugging batteries and electric motors around), better std equipment (rear view cam on all models, nice), and while the model front ends vary, the sport in particular looks really great to me, and it's nice they will keep a coupe in the line-up. back end is way too genesis-like, but buyers won't care. interior isn't a home run to me, but i really like the speedometer guage dead center. overall (in/out) it doesn't look cheap like the camry, and it's more stylish with more variation.

between camry, accord, and altima, it's going to be a wild shoot out. sonata doesn't stand much of a chance, although the optima has 'em all beat on looks.
Old 09-10-12, 08:42 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The new accord looks very nice.......just not a fan of the interior. Love the 6-MT with 35MPG!!

Even my RX400h seem to be a gas guzzler at only 24 MPG hwy!!
Old 09-10-12, 09:06 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Pricing was just released. it's basically the same as the outgoing model, but with a ton more standard features. Lets see what Hyundai packs in more next time lol.
Old 09-10-12, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Pricing was just released. it's basically the same as the outgoing model, but with a ton more standard features. Lets see what Hyundai packs in more next time lol.
Doesn't matter. Sonatas will continue to sell and Accords will continue to sell. There is no "killer" out there, the people all want all the vehicles.

Its not like the Accord destroys the Sonata, it merely has caught up in some areas, joined it in some areas (suspension) and exceeded in some areas (V-6 MPG).

Old 09-10-12, 09:26 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Doesn't matter. Sonatas will continue to sell and Accords will continue to sell. There is no "killer" out there, the people all want all the vehicles.

Its not like the Accord destroys the Sonata, it merely has caught up in some areas, joined it in some areas (suspension) and exceeded in some areas (V-6 MPG).
One of the main reasons the Sonatas sold in big numbers was "more bang for your buck" mantra.

Regardless, competition is forcing a usually profit-minded/cheap Honda is always a great thing for consumers. Who would have thought back-up cameras would be standard for a base car in this segment?

Anyways, driving embargo is lifted today so we'll see if driving impressions are just as good.
Old 09-10-12, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

The fact that Accord still offers a N/A V6 though, IMO, is a selling point with a number of buyers who like the refinement of a V6. It's true that turbo fours, like the ones in the new Sonata/Optima, often provide as much or more torque than a N/A V6, but, in general, they lack the refinement......buyers notice that. I personally think that the lack of a V6 in the new Sonata was a marketing error, though I understand that the EPA, in just a few more years, is going to force a lot of larger-displacement engines out of the market. The large-displacement engines that survive are likely to either be hybrids or run on alternate-fuels.

Honda did, though, IMO, make one major error in the new Accord (the same error Subaru made, and one reason why I didn't buy a new Subaru)....restricting the automatic option in the four to a CVT instead of a conventional 6-speed auto or dual-clutch unit. Though I respect a CVT's efficiency, a 6AT, in general, is a lot more pleasant to drive.
Old 09-10-12, 09:38 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 09-10-12, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

watched that first autoguide vid above and to me the car is best looking in class. interior is a bit 'simple', but at least not funky. i think it is hands down better than the cheap and ugly toyota camry.
Old 09-10-12, 10:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely diggin the new Accord and it's nice to see that Honda seems to have their mojo back.

In pictures, I thought the new Altima would be the best looking midsize car, but I have to be honest: Now that I've seen a few of them in person, it's rather busy and tad overstyled, IMO. The SE models look better with bigger wheels to balance out some of the proportions, but the standard models look a little "off".

The Accord also looks nice in pictures - conservative but with a hint of aggression. I look forward to seeing these on the street soon

It will be interesting to see when Toyota decides to refresh the Camry. They did sell 36,000 of them last month which was incredible, but the Fusion, Altima and Accord have really turned up the heat and on paper, the Camry is not a class leader in any respect.

Quick Reply: 2013 Honda Accord