Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Considers CT Derivatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 05:00 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The median age means 1/2 the buyers are over age 53 AND 1/2 the buyers are under 53. That covers a wide spread in ages which seems probable..

If that's what it mean,

"The median buyer age for the Lexus CT is 53, below the brand’s median age of 59, the auto maker says. The hatchback’s buyers have a median annual household income of $150,000, more than the $100,000 bracket originally forecast."

then half of the buyer have $150k+ annual income & half don't.
Old 06-09-12, 05:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
If that's what it mean,

"The median buyer age for the Lexus CT is 53, below the brand’s median age of 59, the auto maker says. The hatchback’s buyers have a median annual household income of $150,000, more than the $100,000 bracket originally forecast."

then half of the buyer have $150k+ annual income & half don't.
That seems like a sweet spot for the CT to be in, from both an age and $$$ standpoint.
Old 06-09-12, 08:35 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The median age means 1/2 the buyers are over age 53 AND 1/2 the buyers are under 53. That covers a wide spread in ages which seems probable..
Well, not necessarily.
if half of the buyer would be 52, and the other half would be 54, you'd still have 53 as a median.
Out of all the statistical values which they could consider, I struggle to think of another one as useless as the median...
Old 06-09-12, 09:19 AM
LexFather

The CT was a home run on a few points and proved people will buy luxury hatches in America. Ironically it was designed for Europe and also does well there.

1. Handsome
2. Aggressive pricing
3. Great features
4. Great MPG
5. Solid list of options
6. Strong marketing and advertising
7. Outstanding dash and quality
8. Good handling and F sport trim

This was no rebadge or basic sharing car. They really did make the effort where it feels like a stand alone model.

That said margins are razor thin so it's kind of surprising as dealers are asking for more expensive product.

Old 06-09-12, 09:34 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Coupe

CT F
+

Coupe F Sport

Maybe a small crossover with a F Sport version as well.

This was no rebadge or basic sharing car. They really did make the effort where it feels like a stand alone model.
Amen.
Old 06-09-12, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I want an AWD hatch!
Old 06-09-12, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The CT was a home run on a few points and proved people will buy luxury hatches in America. Ironically it was designed for Europe and also does well there.

1. Handsome
2. Aggressive pricing
3. Great features
4. Great MPG
5. Solid list of options
When I reviewed the CT, I said that I thought it should have been marketed as a Toyota, though I admit it has succeeded in the American marketplace as a Lexus. It does, in fact, have most of the features you list here. Still, I find it too small, too stiff-riding, and too noisy to be a true Lexus. In my book, it's still a Toyota.

That said margins are razor thin so it's kind of surprising as dealers are asking for more expensive product.
Or just drop the factory invoice or raise the MSRPs on the current model. I don't see the factory lowering the wholesale/invoice because it would probably lose money. If demand for it is as high as the market seems to indicate, then a small price-increase might not decrease sales much. It has little, if any, direct competition among American-market luxury-badged vehicles to steal sales away from it.
Old 06-09-12, 10:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When I reviewed the CT, I said that I thought it should have been marketed as a Toyota, though I admit it has succeeded in the American marketplace as a Lexus. It does, in fact, have most of the features you list here. Still, I find it too small, too stiff-riding, and too noisy to be a true Lexus. In my book, it's still a Toyota.

Or just drop the factory invoice or raise the MSRPs on the current model. I don't see the factory lowering the wholesale/invoice because it would probably lose money. If demand for it is as high as the market seems to indicate, then a small price-increase might not decrease sales much. It has little, if any, direct competition among American-market luxury-badged vehicles to steal sales away from it.
Sorry Mike that is ridiculous especially since you like the Buick Vernao so much which can't hold a candle to te CT. To call the CT a "Toyota" is insulting to CT owners. It doesn't feel or drive like any Toyota.

They can't drop the price margins are THIN, around $1500 markup. That is nothing on a luxury car.

Old 06-09-12, 11:37 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

1. Handsome
2. Aggressive pricing
3. Great features
4. Great MPG
5. Solid list of options

I agree!!! The CT is just great. Younger generation likes "GREEN" car. Hybrid are their ideal choice. However, the design of the Prius just walk them away. Except for some that only need it for point A-->B, how many young people actually like the look of Prius? .

I'm not sure about the other, but Asian parents always pays for their kids first car. Yes, I am one of them. Except mine is a Corolla (new). No only great MPG & price, the CT was to fulfill the shallowness of owning a upscale car. Especially for Asian girl, not only they like to dress up but also need a car to go along with it. My wife & many of my Asian friend seem to agree with me on that. They would rather be in a entry level Lexus than a higher end Toyota. For many people, Lexus means a lot.

Last edited by grabber2; 06-09-12 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry Mike that is ridiculous especially since you like the Buick Vernao so much which can't hold a candle to te CT. To call the CT a "Toyota" is insulting to CT owners. It doesn't feel or drive like any Toyota.

Well, it's a matter of preference. I've driven both, and the Verano, IMO, is more pleasant and refined as a daily-driver, though the CT, being a Toyota/Lexus product, may (?) trump it in long-term durability. The Verano also has real leather.

I don't see myself as insulting either the CT or its owners....certainly didn't mean to. It's a good car, mechanically, and will likely be very reliable, as the Prius has been. But in refinement, IMO, it's just more of a Toyota than Lexus. That opinion, BTW, is also shared by a number of auto-press reviewers.

However, if I wanted a car that I could generally count on to last 150-200K, I agree with you...the CT would probably be a safer buy. The Verano, well-built but still a GM Opel/Buick product, is, admittedly, more of a dice-roll on durability.

They can't drop the price margins are THIN, around $1500 markup. That is nothing on a luxury car.
I agree. I don't think you and I have any disagreements on that. That's the point I was trying to make in my post.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-09-12, 11:18 PM
FNFZ4
Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
+1, more power, make it at least 200Hp. ES300 hybrid engine!
most Hybrids are slow.....
Old 06-09-12, 11:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But some of them are performance oriented, GS450H, LS600HL, Porsche, BMW Active hybrid 7, so hybrids don't have to be slow and boring.
Old 06-10-12, 01:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If they dropped a 350 motor in the CT200h, i'd be all over it
Old 06-10-12, 01:17 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I for one think the CT is a great as a Lexus.. I feel like its perfect for the buyers they are targeting. (Which are people my age... aka, younger crowd )

And Killa,

YES... That and make it AWD, and they can call it the CT-F
Old 06-10-12, 01:13 PM
psixtc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
+1, more power, make it at least 200Hp. ES300 hybrid engine!
Using the 2AR-FXE setup would be a perfect fit. It's not a ton of power, but would be a good balance of spunk and economy. Hell, I was able to hit a hair over 55mpg during a 45 mile trip (equal city + highway) in the new Camry HV.

Quick Reply: Lexus Considers CT Derivatives