Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ram 1500 poised to get diesel grunt

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 11:34 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ram 1500 poised to get diesel grunt

Ram 1500 poised to get diesel grunt

Poll anyone on the Autoblog staff and we'll tell you that a light-duty diesel pickup is a good idea. And while the refreshed 2013 Ram 1500 brings pickup-firsts like an eight-speed automatic and start/stop to the table, new reports state that diesel power might make it into the Chrysler Group's stalwart truck, as well.

According to Allpar.com, Chrysler has reportedly been building some one-off Ram 1500 test mules fitted with a 3.0-liter VM Motori V6 turbo-diesel, an engine that's currently found in the Jeep Grand Cherokee in other markets and will be available on our shores in the not-too-distant future. However, if a diesel Ram were to be offered in the States, it wouldn't be for a few more years.

PickupTrucks.com states that this 3.0-liter oil-burning engine could be tuned to produce in excess of 400 pound-feet of torque, and when used in conjunction with a truck platform, could provide up to 10,000 pounds of towing capacity. Even if a diesel-powered Ram is still a far-off prospect, consider our interest piqued.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/08/r...-diesel-grunt/
Old 06-08-12, 11:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

We hear there rumors every few months about 1/2 ton pickups gaining a small diesel. For gosh sakes GM, Ford, Ram, do it already. Its honestly a no brainer and with definitely increase sales. I don't care who it is that does it first, because once they do, the other two HAVE to follow suit
Old 06-08-12, 01:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

It's funny if this is true, that they are not going with Cummins. Cummins is already developing an engine to be used in the Titan too.

Navistar(International) was developing and probably tooling up for production of a 4.x liter V6 diesel engine for the F150 a few years back. However, with the 6.0 Powerstroke being the disaster it was, and huge warranty lawsuits between Ford and International, Ford pulled the plug on the new engine. International got pissed and sued for breach of contract, and Ford had to pay roughly $80 million to buy out of the contract and sever their relationship. This is why the 6.7 in the Superduty was built in-house. I would think they should be able to develop a new half-ton engine or bring one ashore. However, with the rampant success of the Ecoboost, I doubt this will happen for a long time, unless the competition stokes it.
Old 06-08-12, 06:48 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's funny if this is true, that they are not going with Cummins. Cummins is already developing an engine to be used in the Titan too.

Navistar(International) was developing and probably tooling up for production of a 4.x liter V6 diesel engine for the F150 a few years back. However, with the 6.0 Powerstroke being the disaster it was, and huge warranty lawsuits between Ford and International, Ford pulled the plug on the new engine. International got pissed and sued for breach of contract, and Ford had to pay roughly $80 million to buy out of the contract and sever their relationship. This is why the 6.7 in the Superduty was built in-house. I would think they should be able to develop a new half-ton engine or bring one ashore. However, with the rampant success of the Ecoboost, I doubt this will happen for a long time, unless the competition stokes it.
They already have Diesel in the Ranger's overseas. PLENTY of Tq. I have driven them. They would move a larger pickup around.

I really hope one of them does this. I agree that this will be (from a sales standpoint) a HUGE factor, because I know many people that want a half-ton diesel, including me. Money's in that says Ram does it first. Just because I am biased.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-08-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 08:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I saw the diesel rangers everywhere in the Philippines. They looked better than our rangers and I want one. I knew a kid there that drove one who said it's gutless, but I think he just dislikes Ford. Also, his regular drive included a roughly 30 mile climb from sea level to 5500 feet.