Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Am I the only one around here who....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 09:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Am I the only one around here who....

...is irritated that the automakers have all stopped putting oil pressure and voltmeter gauges in cars? I know it's been quite a while now, 20 years in fact, but it really grinds my gears. My 89 Firebird had the whole set of gauges. I found them useful, the oil pressure gauge in particular. My Lexus has only the fuel and water temp gauges, and I've noticed probably 98% of vehicles produced since the early 90's are the same. GM even got rid of the water temp gauge it seems on some vehicles. Only pickups seem to come with the oil pressure gauge anymore.

I just thought i'd let out a rant.
Old 06-09-12, 10:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of cars don't even have engine temp gauges on the dash, cost cutting, dash layouts look better,I don't get it, manufactures are taking away useful features that will help prolong the life of the car, benefits them not the customer
Old 06-09-12, 10:43 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't see it as a problem. Today's modern cars and engines don't blow out oil all over the place like they did 30 years ago. There's less of a need for such gauges. I rather have the space used for instant and average fuel economy readings or even a G-meter reading. The latter would be handy to see which forces are exerted while tumbling down the side of a mountain.
Old 06-09-12, 11:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Voltmeter I can live without, but an oil pressure gauge I love having. Heck I had an '81 Toyota pickup that I put in factory gauges out of a camperized version that included amp meter, oil pressure, and volt meter. I miss having them.
Old 06-09-12, 11:17 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Im sure all the information and some plus the kitchen sink is all there in the ECM firmware and the numerous control modules communicating to the ECM. There should be accelerometer(s) or yaw/pitch IC's to measure G-forces, thermistors etc, everywhere

It's all a matter of what the manufacturer decides to convey to end user, the driver.
Old 06-09-12, 11:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had them in some of my cars before, I stop looking at them after a while, so I can live without them.
Old 06-10-12, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Computers control it all now...

Old 06-10-12, 10:37 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah my 535i only has the gas and fuel economy gauge which is ridiculous. When I had my 08 350Z it had water temp, voltage and oil pressure which I liked. The new Genesis coupe has them as well as I think the FR-S.
Old 06-10-12, 11:16 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Yeah my 535i only has the gas and fuel economy gauge which is ridiculous. When I had my 08 350Z it had water temp, voltage and oil pressure which I liked. The new Genesis coupe has them as well as I think the FR-S.
Maybe the manufacturers figured those types of vehicles would be driven harder, where things may be needed to monitor more? I still think those gauges should be standard on all cars tho.
Old 06-10-12, 11:33 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
The new gen coupe even has a Torque gauge!
Old 06-10-12, 01:32 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
The new gen coupe even has a Torque gauge!
On the 3.8, us little ol' 2.0t people get a boost gauge.
Old 06-10-12, 01:44 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

And on the new Civic you get a Vtec gauge. Its sooo useful.
Old 06-10-12, 02:43 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most gauges were deleted beginning in the '60's as it became clear that most motorists had no idea how to read or interpret them. Back then the old ammeter very clearly showed that your charging system was working or not - but it also provided verification that your water pump, power steering pump, and probably your AC compressor was turning as well because they shared a common drive belt. No surprises here. By the '80's ammeters had been replaced by voltmeters, but they were confusing to drivers who had no idea that an indication of 12v meant something was failing in the charging system.

("It's a 12 volt system, isn't it?") Yes, but it should be charging at somewhere around 13.8v if the battery is low. Normal voltage should be 12.5 to 12.8v with the engine off. If it's showing 12v or less, you may be in trouble. "Idiot lights" as they were dubbed in the '60's, don't tell you much more than "You sir, are hosed."

Oil pressure on some cars is even more arcane. Basically it depends on your engine, your engine temperature and viscosity of your oil, but 15 - 20 psi hot is generally considered adequate. If you have real instruments for measuring your oil pressure, you should look this up for your specific engine. Some may require 30 psi or even more for proper lubrication under certain conditions.

As people learn less about the internal workings of their automobiles, we have come to rely on warning lights to tell us of imminent failures . . . of course if the light or its sender isn't working properly, it may never come on. You know when your oil pressure's low when the engine seizes.
Old 06-10-12, 04:36 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have an android phone you can buy Torque Pro, and an elm Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and see all the gauges you could ever want.......
Old 06-10-12, 07:27 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I had an incident once in my Firebird where I was traveling and as I got off the freeway in my destination city, I started hearing a tick tick tick. I knew it was probably oil, and a glance at the oil pressure gauge provided that confirmation. I stopped, checked it, and sure enough the oil was nearly GONE. Puzzled the hell out of me, as I had just changed it the day before and double checked everything. Had even checked it the day of the trip as well. Filled her back up and she never lost a drop for the rest of the time I owned her.

The gauge is handy. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed the ticking and kept driving. The oil pressure gauge basically confirmed what I suspected though.

Also, @ Jewcano: I don't have an android or OBD2, lol. My car's a 92.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one around here who....