Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do some Lexus/Toyota SUVs have the rear door open to the side?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 11:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Why do some Lexus/Toyota SUVs have the rear door open to the side?

I have a good question for you all.

I honestly do not believe that reasons of keeping costs down are the real reason some suvs made by Toyota and Lexus have the rear door that opens to the side.

The Rav4 and Lexus GX open to the right side. The FJ opens to the left.

Seeing that the FJ and GX are based on the same platform as the 4Runner, why would the 4Runner get the full hatch, powered closing and reclining rear window? It just does not make any sense for at least the GX to not have the full hatch.

The FJ, I figure that stying with the rear tire on tthe door is a possible reason as to why it opens to the left.

The Rav remains a mystery.

If cost cutting is reason, then why would the Sequoia get a full hatch.

How come the cheaper RX gets a full rear as well as the Highlander.

Other than cost cutting, does anyone have a logical reason as to why some have the rear door and other don't?
Old 06-12-12, 01:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

cost cutting is usually referred to the fact that they dont change the side the door opens for different markets, not if they have door or hatch. I dont think the reason is cost cutting, it is because of the door on this utes being pretty heavy.

they will probably change that on new models since customers prefer the hatch... i had rav4 for a long time and honestly i didnt complain about the door or where it opens.
Old 06-12-12, 04:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

side door is awful. on rav 4 in particular, except for a recent option the spare tire has been on the door, so having the door hinged at the top was not possible.
Old 06-12-12, 05:15 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume the Rav4's door opens from the left/hinges on the right as that is the most convenient access for RHD vehicles driving on the left hand side and getting access from the pavement on the left, without having to step out into traffic.
Old 06-12-12, 05:51 AM
LexFather

Last edited by LexFather; 06-12-12 at 07:56 AM.

Old 06-12-12, 06:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Toyota / Lexus SUVs that have an available spare tire that hangs outside the vehicle (as on the RAV4, FJ Cruiser and Lexus GX / Toyota Land Cruiser Prado) use a barn-style door for the cargo area that opens to the side, with the spare tire attached to it; SUVs and CUVs (such as the 4Runner, RX and Highlander) that do not offer such a feature have a hatch that opens up. A spare tire hanging on an upward-opening hatch would make it too heavy.

To hang a spare tire at the outside rear of the vehicle while still offering an upward-opening hatch (or downward-opening tailgate) would require a spare tire carrier that could swing out of the way of the opening, as on the Jeep Wrangler. Such carriers are heavy, cumbersome (getting into the rear cargo area becomes a two-step process of swinging the carrier out of the way before opening hatch) and are prone to rust – the carrier itself and where it bolts to the vehicle body. Hanging the spare tire on the rear door itself eliminates the unsightly external carrier.

To save costs, the barn-style cargo area door does not change sides for different markets, so the RAV4 and Land Cruiser Prado / Lexus GX have rear doors that open to the right, against the curb in North America and Continental Europe. I assume that the FJ was originally designed mainly for the North American market so it is offered with the left-opening rear cargo door.

To save design costs, RAV4 Sport models that do not have a spare tire still offer the barn style door. Hanging a door from the vehicle’s body requires a lot of strengthening, whether it is a side-opening door, upward-opening hatch or downward-opening tailgate. Offering the RAV4 with 2 different types of rear cargo openings would increase the price of the RAV4.
Old 06-12-12, 06:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal favorite is the split hatch/tailgate design in the Land Cruiser. Best of both worlds.

Old 06-12-12, 07:11 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think one of the reasons for the barn door tailgate is image - it looks more like a utility-type vehicle than a minivan-esque lift-up rear hatch. Granted, I had the dual barn doors on a 90s Suburban and it was a PITA to work around the open doors when backed into the garage.
Old 06-12-12, 07:29 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota / Lexus SUVs that have an available spare tire that hangs outside the vehicle (as on the RAV4, FJ Cruiser and Lexus GX / Toyota Land Cruiser Prado) use a barn-style door for the cargo area that opens to the side, with the spare tire attached to it; SUVs and CUVs (such as the 4Runner, RX and Highlander) that do not offer such a feature have a hatch that opens up. A spare tire hanging on an upward-opening hatch would make it too heavy.

To hang a spare tire at the outside rear of the vehicle while still offering an upward-opening hatch (or downward-opening tailgate) would require a spare tire carrier that could swing out of the way of the opening, as on the Jeep Wrangler. Such carriers are heavy, cumbersome (getting into the rear cargo area becomes a two-step process of swinging the carrier out of the way before opening hatch) and are prone to rust – the carrier itself and where it bolts to the vehicle body. Hanging the spare tire on the rear door itself eliminates the unsightly external carrier.

To save costs, the barn-style cargo area door does not change sides for different markets, so the RAV4 and Land Cruiser Prado / Lexus GX have rear doors that open to the right, against the curb in North America and Continental Europe. I assume that the FJ was originally designed mainly for the North American market so it is offered with the left-opening rear cargo door.

To save design costs, RAV4 Sport models that do not have a spare tire still offer the barn style door. Hanging a door from the vehicle’s body requires a lot of strengthening, whether it is a side-opening door, upward-opening hatch or downward-opening tailgate. Offering the RAV4 with 2 different types of rear cargo openings would increase the price of the RAV4.
Most cerebral post of the thread.
Old 06-12-12, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I honestly do not believe that reasons of keeping costs down are the real reason some suvs made by Toyota and Lexus have the rear door that opens to the side.

The Rav4 and Lexus GX open to the right side. The FJ opens to the left.
To a large extent, it is cost-cutting. Small SUVs originally designed for Japanese/British/Australian right-hand-drive markets usually have the rear-door hinges on the right, with the door swinging open to the right, because available parking is usually on the left side of the road. This, of course, protects one from traffic. When steering racks and interior/cabin parts have to be converted for the left-hand-drive markets in other countries such as the U.S., Canada, and Continental Western Europe, etc.... money, of course, is saved by not having to redo and stock different rear-doors, door-hinges, wiring, hardware, etc...
Old 06-12-12, 11:00 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

That's interesting. I never put it together that all the side-opening vehicles have the standard/optional exterior tire. I always assumed it was so that people didn't have to worry about hitting the roof of a low garage or so that shorter people had an option other than jumping for the lift gate (before they were all power).
Old 02-22-14, 05:48 AM
DogFriendl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with the Barn Door option for rear door?

I'm currently in the market for a new(er) car. Specifically, a large SUV that can accommodate two, large German Shepherds. My Toyota Sequoia has been absolutely spectacular, but the one great flaw is the rear "hatch" opening.

Aside from the dogs sneaking out underneath while I open the rear door, it's getting more and more difficult to close the thing. Maybe it's just the hydraulics getting older. But it just seems that it would be less expensive to put cargo doors on the rear of vehicles.

Right now, the vehicle I'm most interested in purchasing is the Lexus GX - specifically because of that big cargo door in the rear.

Why is this not an option on all vehicles? Chevy stopped making them on the Suburban - not that I would buy ANYTHING from "Government motors" ever again, but, the barn doors were the Suburban's most redeeming quality. Well, that and the space. I loved my 92 'Burb.
Old 02-22-14, 11:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Tis an interesting question for sure. Whatever the reasoning I don't like it whatsoever. The Barn door, plastic center console and 301hp are my biggest gripes with the GX. Otherwise it has a fantastic 4x4 system and I love the new Spindle on it. For what it's worth thankfully the rear glass pops upward for loading without opening that darn door

Originally Posted by DogFriendl
I'm currently in the market for a new(er) car. Specifically, a large SUV that can accommodate two, large German Shepherds. My Toyota Sequoia has been absolutely spectacular, but the one great flaw is the rear "hatch" opening.

Aside from the dogs sneaking out underneath while I open the rear door, it's getting more and more difficult to close the thing. Maybe it's just the hydraulics getting older. But it just seems that it would be less expensive to put cargo doors on the rear of vehicles.

Right now, the vehicle I'm most interested in purchasing is the Lexus GX - specifically because of that big cargo door in the rear.

Why is this not an option on all vehicles? Chevy stopped making them on the Suburban - not that I would buy ANYTHING from "Government motors" ever again, but, the barn doors were the Suburban's most redeeming quality. Well, that and the space. I loved my 92 'Burb.
Nice, I have two Germans myself a 1 year old 83lb girl and 11 month old 107lb boy. Luckily I have a 2003 Explorer to haul them around in if need be.

That Suburban though was a split vertical rear doors though right? It wasn't a full barn door like the GX
Old 02-22-14, 12:02 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by DogFriendl

I'm thinking of the GX myself, but for me the barn-door is a hindrance in parking spots with cars behind you.

HOWEVER, the nice thing about the GX is you can still open the glass hatch to somewhat satisfy folks like me who prefer a lift gate.
Old 02-22-14, 01:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend of mine is 4-foot 9-inches tall.

She cannot buy a car with a trunk that swings upwards; she won't be able to reach and close it.

She ended up getting a Mini Cooper Clubman because of two swinging barn doors. Hey, it works for her...

Quick Reply: Why do some Lexus/Toyota SUVs have the rear door open to the side?