Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Time for a new car, seriously considering this...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 06:07 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new car, seriously considering this...

Citroen DS3 in yellow with black roof and rims. Absolutely stunning machine. Seeing this car in person makes me weak everytime. In this day and age where the vast majority of cars look like appliances, Citroen creates artworks on wheels that stick out and simply grab your attention. Just look at this thing!

The car we're most likely going to sell is the Golf. There's nothing wrong with it. It's amassed a bit over 250,000 km by now and has never missed a beat or had a problem, but it's getting a bit dull to drive (and look at).

The advantages of the Citroen DS3 are that it's incredibly spacious inside (more than the Golf or our 1 series) due to its FWD layout. Even with the rear seats folded up, it's still got a spacious trunk and when you fold down the rear seats, this car offers more cargo space than our BMW 118d! It's also available with an automatic transmission.

It's an incredible machine and I do want to fulfill my ambition of at least owning one Citroen in my lifetime while I am still in Europe. I'll keep you guys updated.

Wonderful car.

Old 06-13-12, 06:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you like it and it fits the bill, go for it!
Old 06-13-12, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

What kind of reliability do Citroens generally have? They, of course, are not available here in the U.S., and little here is published about them. French-designed cars, in the 1980s, were forced out of the U.S. market for more or less the same reason as Fiats and some other Italian models were......shoddy quality, though Peugeot admittedly made durable diesel engines. Of course, that was almost 30 years ago, and things can quickly change in the auto industry.....as Hyundai and Ford have recently proved.
Old 06-13-12, 08:30 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Definitely a unique car in its segment! I'm sure some compromises are made in practicality (sight lines, interior volume, etc.) but it looks like it's got character.

I'm also interested in hearing about Citroen and Peugeot's reliability in Europe.
Old 06-13-12, 09:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I actually much prefer the Peugeot 208 to this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...eot-208-a.html

Even then If I were in Europe I'd have Ford Focus over anything else. That's just me though
Old 06-14-12, 06:35 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What kind of reliability do Citroens generally have? They, of course, are not available here in the U.S., and little here is published about them. French-designed cars, in the 1980s, were forced out of the U.S. market for more or less the same reason as Fiats and some other Italian models were......shoddy quality, though Peugeot admittedly made durable diesel engines. Of course, that was almost 30 years ago, and things can quickly change in the auto industry.....as Hyundai and Ford have recently proved.
I'm honestly not to worried about reliability. Brands like Fiat or Citroen have made great strides since the '80s in improving their quality. I did look for reliability reports on modern-day Citroens and the vast majority of owners are reporting problem-free cars. If there is an issue, it's usually something minor that is cheap to fix and won't fail again.

An interesting source to me are not consumers, but taxi drivers. Taxis are abused and used everyday in one of the most car-hostile environments: the city. Stop-and-go-traffic, bumps and run-ins with other cars etc. all take their toll on a taxi over time. With that in mind, I googled the reliability of the current Citroen C5, which is a popular taxi in Germany. I'm pleased to report that the car gets high marks from taxi drivers not only for space and comfort and efficiency but also for reliability. Many taxi drivers are now in the 200,000 km mileage zone on earlier models and are loving them. One thing to worry about on the C5 is the optional hydropneumatic suspension, which is standard on the higher-end models including the diesels. It's generally reliable but according to Citroen it's designed to last for 250,000 km before a major overhaul is needed. Periodic inspections are also useful.

Based on this, I have high hopes for the DS3. But to be honest, reliability isn't a major concern for me. I've had no issues with my BMW 118d or my second-hand Golf with over 250,000 km on it now.
Old 06-14-12, 06:40 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
Definitely a unique car in its segment! I'm sure some compromises are made in practicality (sight lines, interior volume, etc.) but it looks like it's got character.

I'm also interested in hearing about Citroen and Peugeot's reliability in Europe.
They're stunning machines in person. It's a shame that the US does not get these cars. I find it funny how back in the States we're all getting excited about the Ford Fiesta or those "stylish" Hyundai and Kia economy cars when in reality they're rather bland compared to something like the DS3.

And the different colors offered are very cool.

Peugeot and Citroen reliability is much improved since the '70s and '80s. Also, life is to short to worry about reliability. I love the design, I love the brand (they've made fascinating cars throughout their history) and I want something fun and stylish. This is the car for me and my wife.
Old 06-14-12, 06:41 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I actually much prefer the Peugeot 208 to this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...eot-208-a.html

Even then If I were in Europe I'd have Ford Focus over anything else. That's just me though
Great car, great looks, but not as stylish as the Citroen DS3 in my opinion. Part of the appeal of the DS3 is also it's practicality: it's huge inside. The 208 is rather small.