Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video of HS250h spewing gas on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 11:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why didn't the HS driver just slow/stop pull over immediately?
maybe they were scared to stop on the shoulder...as I would be....seen too many stories of people getting killed while stopped on the shoulder.
Old 06-14-12, 11:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That looks like 0.1 MPG

Last edited by BNR34; 06-14-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 11:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know that section of highway well, and assuming the driver could smell the gas, they were wise not to stop and let it puddle under the car. Better to let it run at least low before stopping and possibly having it ignite under the car, turning it into a barbecue before the driver could get out.

As it happened they never figured out just where that drive shaft came from, but it's common for objects to fall off of flatbed trucks. In this case, the object was struck by eight or ten cars in moderately heavy traffic, destroying two transmissions and several tires/rims. I think a total of eight cars were damaged, lined up at the side of the road.

I had a large flatbed blow a tire in front of me about a month ago and the whole tread unwrapped and was flung into the air. Trapped by traffic I had nowhere to go except to brake moderately, watch my mirrors and hang on. The carcass landed directly in front of me and I hit it, throwing the car into the air and tearing away a chunk of my lower bumper/air dam. I was lucky that no other damage was done.
Old 06-15-12, 01:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
As it happened they never figured out just where that drive shaft came from, but it's common for objects to fall off of flatbed trucks. In this case, the object was struck by eight or ten cars in moderately heavy traffic, destroying two transmissions and several tires/rims. I think a total of eight cars were damaged, lined up at the side of the road.

I had a large flatbed blow a tire in front of me about a month ago and the whole tread unwrapped and was flung into the air. Trapped by traffic I had nowhere to go except to brake moderately, watch my mirrors and hang on. The carcass landed directly in front of me and I hit it, throwing the car into the air and tearing away a chunk of my lower bumper/air dam. I was lucky that no other damage was done.
ahhh Houston freeways.....

I try to stay off the freeways....they're pathetic....its a special occasion to see them cleaning the inside and outside shoulders...tons of trash and just plain ole dirt/sand too...NICE!!!
Old 06-16-12, 12:32 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A local radio personality used to say that there was so much lost furniture on the Loop 610 on the 30th of each month, you could drive around with a pickup and trailer and in one lap (about 42 miles) pick up enough to furnish a three-bedroom house.