Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Video of HS250h spewing gas on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 09:43 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Video of HS250h spewing gas on highway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5Y2_tzs_8ao

Apparently whoever posted this video on YouTube decided that it would be better to film a hybrid with gas pouring out of the bottom than it would be to flag down the driver and have them shut off the engine. This is true asshattery, folks.
The poster, High Tech Corvette, seemed to be salivating over the possibility that the worst would happen.

The other day I saw this car run over a driveshaft on the freeway and it either cut a gas line or punched a hole in the gas tank. The car was spewing gas everywhere, I was afraid it was going to turn into a rolling fireball.

Thankfully the Lexus didn't turn into a rolling fireball as it traveled down Highway 59 near Sugar Land, Texas, although HTC followed it as far as the freeway exit ramp to make sure (not that he/she was in much of a position to help out). One of the post's commenters pointed out HTC's possible motivation for unabashed tragedy stalking.

"somebody needs to tell her" but not us. We will just film it and hopefully it will burst into flames and I will get lots of youtube hits lol.
Link to Jalopnik article: http://jalopnik.com/5917789/put-down...as-spewing-car

In the video he says someone should tell her but he's still recording? I agree that he is a idiot for not attempting to alert the driver.
Old 06-13-12, 01:07 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this video yesterday, he should of gone after them and try to flag em down.
Old 06-13-12, 01:11 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

I know right she was saying how somebody should flag her down but he didn't do anything himself which is stupid.
Old 06-13-12, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

lowered the hybrid's mpg a bit.
Old 06-13-12, 03:05 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Ummmm 2 things here.

Why the hell was there a driveshaft on the road? That's not something you'd find on the road everyday LOL

and wowww what has the world come to when people would rather record a car with gas spewing out to get hits on Youtube rather than actually help the person and possibly save their life...

sad day.
Old 06-13-12, 05:06 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pretty obvious the driver knew something was wrong --- the flashers were on and dashed across the freeway to an exit.
Old 06-13-12, 05:13 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Driver probably saw the fuel gauge rapidly going down?
Old 06-13-12, 05:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bagwell
pretty obvious the driver knew something was wrong --- the flashers were on and dashed across the freeway to an exit.
Only the RH turn signal was on, and there was plenty of time for her to exit onto the shoulder of that off ramp, but she kept going, so I'm not sure how you can say she knew something was wrong.

I agree that the moron who posted is an asshat. Perhaps the Texass highway patrol will visit him to thank him for not doing his civic duty or keep him in mind when he's driving around. One can only hope.

Big Mack
Old 06-13-12, 05:28 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^ If you watch the part when she's on the offramp, you can see both blinkers blinking

As well, he's not obligated to go out of his way to help that person. It's a citizens prerogative as to whether or not they want to help someone or not.
Old 06-13-12, 05:31 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Only the RH turn signal was on, and there was plenty of time for her to exit onto the shoulder of that off ramp, but she kept going, so I'm not sure how you can say she knew something was wrong.

I agree that the moron who posted is an asshat. Perhaps the Texass highway patrol will visit him to thank him for not doing his civic duty or keep him in mind when he's driving around. One can only hope.

Big Mack
Actually, watch it closer. When he/she gets to the exit ramp, their flashers are on.

And yes, asshat (also one of my favorite words!)
Old 06-14-12, 07:42 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
As well, he's not obligated to go out of his way to help that person. It's a citizens prerogative as to whether or not they want to help someone or not.

MIght want to have someone check their local statute before you say something like that. There are places where you are legally required to act as long as you are not required to put yourself in harms way (Good Samaritan Law).

With the amount of video footage that's posted these days of people just standing out filiming while stupid crap happens, I can see a movement to expand. You don't want to get involved, fine, but to go the next step of filming and posting online is just asinine....
Old 06-14-12, 07:47 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
MIght want to have someone check their local statute before you say something like that. There are places where you are legally required to act as long as you are not required to put yourself in harms way (Good Samaritan Law).

With the amount of video footage that's posted these days of people just standing out filiming while stupid crap happens, I can see a movement to expand. You don't want to get involved, fine, but to go the next step of filming and posting online is just asinine....
How is a "Good Samaritan Law" even legal? You're requiring people to help others, where they can potentially, unintentionally, harm that person? Haven't there been cases where people have tried to help someone injured and that person turned around and sued them?

Isn't that what we have police for though? If the person filming was that worried, could he not have just called the cops and relayed the information to them?
Old 06-14-12, 08:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if it's a law it's going to be legal. "help" could simply mean calling 911. Doesn't have to mean intervention.

Also protects first responders from lawsuits if they assist someone while off duty but causes them harm at the scene.

Enforcing a good samartan law is another matter. BUT if you're in a jurisdiction where there is a good samaritan law on the books and not only do you not help, but film it out of stupidity for online posting; maybe those people should be prosecuted.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 06-14-12 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-14-12, 09:52 AM
Stormwind
Racer

It might not even be gas...it could be just window washer fluid.
Old 06-14-12, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

why didn't the HS driver just slow/stop pull over immediately?

Quick Reply: Video of HS250h spewing gas on highway